X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

Just now, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

How is this not extortion? 

It probably isn't exactly, but there's a very good chance that X could be on the hook for defamation if they're knowingly threatening people with brand name damage and do not take enough steps to thwart it. 

The worst part is, they doing it to organizations who already pay at least $1000/month for the gold (plus $50 per account if a single organization is running multiple accounts). So it's a service they're already paying for, but they are now told that they won't get that service unless they pay for another unrelated service.

Honestly, anyone who is still active on Twitter at this point has only themselves to blame.

Edited by Gorn

3 minutes ago, Gorn said:

Honestly, anyone who is still active on Twitter at this point has only themselves to blame.

Honestly, I'm only still there as I continue to try to remember all of the people I follow/want to follow on Bluesky (and possibly still Threads, though that feel like it was meant to be a flash-in-the-pan trolling of Twitter...)

I was thinking more of people who are actually paying Twitter for their checkmarks than casual users. You're unwilling to cut your losses and just leave the platform? Fine, you'll be paying Elon whatever he wants you to pay him, and I won't feel sorry for you.

Eh. Any use of it is still feeding into it being a viable platform. Nonpaying users are still ones driving traffic to the site and making it useful for people. 

8 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

How is this not extortion? 

It's not. It's X-tortion actually.

Honestly, Twitter getting renamed to X has proven to be fertile ground for some of the laziest most low grade humor imaginable, and by god, I will take advantage of it.

So... does Twitter fold by the end of the year? Or simply degenerate to 4 Chan / Truth Social status?

My take, which I'm still kind of sort of standing by is that Musk appoints a flunky as nominal head of Twitter (done), Twitter crashes and burns (looking at least possible), and then Musk blames the flunky for Twitters demise to the sound of right-wing cheers.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

that Musk appoints a flunky as nominal head of Twitter (done), Twitter crashes and burns (looking at least possible), and then Musk blames the flunky for Twitters demise to the sound of right-wing cheers.

The flunky being a Jewish woman with ties to WEF. He knew the perfect person to take the fall.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

I think there's still a chance for Twitter. If Musk were to sell up, a new owner could put it back together. None of the alternatives look like they have what it takes to replace Twitter: there's still value there. Appoint a competent board and invest, and you could make a lot of money.

Of course, that relies on Musk admitting defeat and selling up at a staggering loss, not a likely scenario. But possible.

Edited by mormont

1 hour ago, mormont said:

think there's still a chance for Twitter. If Musk were to sell up, a new owner could put it back together. None of the alternatives look like

No one important goes on these things. 
Twitter massively benefited from Trump.

Democrats and liberals should endeavor to be more proactive in terms of exploiting social media.