MCU - This Thread Wasn’t Made For You

DaveSumm

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

This doesn't look uninteresting, and certainly committing more to showing violence than I expected from Disney+ work. 

Interesting that all eps are streaming on the 10th. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad sign. 

It does look cool, but all their trailers look cool. Mostly, I want to believe we'll get a lot of Kingpin because D'onfrio is fucking amazing in that role and always has been. 

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Interesting that all eps are streaming on the 10th. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad sign. 

It does look cool, but all their trailers look cool. Mostly, I want to believe we'll get a lot of Kingpin because D'onfrio is fucking amazing in that role and always has been. 

I'm not sure what it means either but I like they're dropping all the episodes. Watch at your own pace with as few or many distractions as you choose. I mean, I legit doubt limited release actually does much, most people who don't want to pay every month will wait for the majority of the episodes to drop anyway before subbing for a month anyway. Hopefully Echo will be a success and embolden Disney+ to do this more.  

I find it hard to believe that the Echo I see in that trailer was being produced from the same studio at the same time as the Daredevil that had to be cancelled because they were four episodes in before he even put on the suit.

I don't get it.

And I don't understand why a studio with people making far more money than I ever will can't look at this trailer and say "You know what... how about we make shows/movies that are actually like this???"

Kingpin Will Have a "Very Large" Presence in 'Echo'
Vincent D'Onofrio and Charlie Cox will return in the 'Hawkeye' spinoff.

Wilson Fisk, aka the Kingpin, will have a significant role in the Echo spinoff series.
 Maya Lopez, aka Echo, is a former commander of the Tracksuit Mafia and will be confronted with her past in the streets of New York City.
 Charlie Cox will reprise his role as Daredevil in Echo, further connecting the Netflix series to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

A while after Echo was announced, it was revealed that the conflict between Maya and Fisk would continue, and a story featuring the Kingpin in such a role couldn't leave out the Man Without Fear. Charlie Cox is set to reprise his role as Daredevil in the spinoff, after the actor was introduced as the character in the MCU for the first time back when Spider-Man: No Way Home was released in theaters. Cox had previously played the role over the course of three seasons of the Netflix series.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Kingpin Will Have a "Very Large" Presence in 'Echo'
Vincent D'Onofrio and Charlie Cox will return in the 'Hawkeye' spinoff.

Wilson Fisk, aka the Kingpin, will have a significant role in the Echo spinoff series.
 Maya Lopez, aka Echo, is a former commander of the Tracksuit Mafia and will be confronted with her past in the streets of New York City.
 Charlie Cox will reprise his role as Daredevil in Echo, further connecting the Netflix series to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Charlie Cox really needs to be Daredevil in Deadpool 3 and meet Garner's Elektra...

Been avoiding the thread cos I thought everyone was talking about Loki…

Really glad to see Kingpin back in Echo, that feels much more a true Kingpin than we saw in Hawkeye.

Loki was entertaining … although I find I watch an episode, and am entertained, but then ponder afterwards that I’m not sure where it really gets us…? It’s a bit of a season for a seasons sake.

There's been some fuming pushback on the Variety article. The guy who wrote the last draft before the current one (with the Logan guy) said he'd read every draft of the MCU Blade and none of them had a female lead, or relegated Blade to a lesser role.

I also saw a suggestion that maybe one of the drafts had a female POV character who acts as someone to bounce exposition off, serving the same function as Dr. Jensen did in the original Blade, but Blade was still central in the script (this led to a Twitter debate over whether OG Blade would today be considered too "woke"), which had been misinterpreted - deliberately or accidentally - for rage clicks.

There was also pushback on the idea that The Marvels' director bailed for another project out of disinterest or apathy. The delays and reshoots on The Marvels pushed up against the date that the director had committed to her next project, even taken into consideration the buffer usually allocated to films just in case of that sort of thing, necessitating some overlap, which is not unusual in film work (that cued a lengthy digression on how Spielberg somehow shot Schindler's List whilst overseeing post, editing and CG on Jurassic Park). 

30 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Seeing how they're starting to backpedal on Kang, they really could've used this season of Loki to eliminate that cosmic threat to reality (and Disney's bank account) and just move us forward to Dr Doom or even the X-Men.

Apparently it would take some hardcore editing to do that.

Spoiler

The finale to Loki S2 that one of the insiders saw apparently set up Kang as the next mega-villain big time, and they couldn't see how to fix that in post. And have anything make sense.

Of course, Loki S2 has degenerated into incoherent dribble anyway, so maybe that can just fix it.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Since the show was delayed, isn't it most likely a result of that extra time adjusting what they want and dropping it all at the same time?

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

Why are they so scared to just recast Kang? We already have this variant thing set up, with Peter Parker and Loki looking completely different in other timelines. It seems like the perfect excuse to recast, if Majors is indeed found guilty of what he did.

Yeah, I don't know either. Especially given that we already have him appearing in a show - Loki - that has many, MANY variants that are different actors for the same character. I really liked Jonathan Majors as He Who Remains and thought his portrayal was awesome, but Victor Timely is trash and more importantly I don't see how you need him specifically. 

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Since the show was delayed, isn't it most likely a result of that extra time adjusting what they want and dropping it all at the same time?

Maybe? Choosing to release everything is not usually just because of time constraints. It was for She-Hulk where they were fixing episodes apparently a week before release, but other shows are simply done. Disney seems to like to release eps sequentially or in small batches. It might mean that either they think that this show doesn't work on a sequence (IE, no real cliffhangers between eps or major events to get people talking), that it works best binged, or they're just dumping it.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Why are they so scared to just recast Kang? We already have this variant thing set up, with Peter Parker and Loki looking completely different in other timelines. It seems like the perfect excuse to recast, if Majors is indeed found guilty of what he did.

Apparently one concern is that they showed the Council of Kangs at the end of Quantumania and they all looked like Majors apart from the ones who were like fish, or animals or whatever.

However, given that Quantumania did not set the world on fire, I don't think people would care too much at contradicting it.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Maybe? Choosing to release everything is not usually just because of time constraints. It was for She-Hulk where they were fixing episodes apparently a week before release, but other shows are simply done. Disney seems to like to release eps sequentially or in small batches. It might mean that either they think that this show doesn't work on a sequence (IE, no real cliffhangers between eps or major events to get people talking), that it works best binged, or they're just dumping it.

I think it's Disney just experimenting. Their feeling was that engagement was best-served by weekly releases and keeping the conversation going, but with apparently the Marvel shows seeing significant drop-off, they might be thinking that making the shows bingeable might be better, at least for some projects.

There's also another thing going around that, although 18 episodes are still being produced for Daredevil, they might split them into two 9-episode batches and maybe the already-shot footage might be held back for the second half, giving them much more time to decide how to use it.

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

They should cast Terence Howard and fuck with EVERYONE

That..that's just plain evil...I mean, diabolical unless you believe keeping Howard as Rhodey would have tanked the MCU before it got going, because that's what would have happened. That guy was just so wooden in the part...

And I'm generally enjoying Loki, but wonder again if the streaming model of such limited episodes isn't hurting the ability to tell a proper story.

Speaking as a member of the casual mass audience, I’ve only seen Thor, Dr Strange and Guardians this year, skipped all the rest out of disinterest including the tv shows, and have no idea what the fuck a kang is. If he is supposed to the be another Thanos, then they haven’t done a great job at all in the setup. They can safely recast him.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

If he is supposed to the be another Thanos, then they haven’t done a great job at all in the setup. They can safely recast him.

I think he can be safely recast like, but Kang has had vastly more screen time and direct presence than Thanos before Infinity War started. 

ETA: actually I think there's a decent chance he got more screen time in the Loki first season finale than Thanos even after Endgame tbh.

Edited by polishgenius