US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

17 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I mean, the same is true in London. Some of the best Indian is in London or in the UK in general. 

Also high tea is kind of awesome if a bit kitschy. 

100% on the Indian food claim.  High tea is awesome but pricey IMHO.  Restaurants charge a lot of money for cucumber sandwiches and clotted cream.  

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but it's still not close to let's deepfry coca cola. And I am not entirely sure, that you lot simply do not toss in a full can of coke into the deep fryer.

Forgive the generalization, but it seems to me that the unappetizing foods of places like Britain and Germany largely came from traditional practices meant to maximize limited food resources. So cabbage gets pickled, offal gets turned into haggis, etc. There's an element of "this is what our ancestors ate to survive."

Lots of American food, meanwhile, seems to be based on cramming more sugar or fat into industrially extruded food-like substances. It's a culture of excess and triumphantly heedless consumption. 

Edited by DanteGabriel

Just to bring this back to politics, but still keep the food theme, wait till the Iowa state fair where candidates eat deep fried food (such as those breaded hot dogs on a stick - corn dogs?) in an undignified manner in order to fit in. In fact, I think the state fair just concluded so maybe there are pictures of DeSantis awkwardly trying to do some of this and pretend it actually was delicious instead of bland compared to [whatever ethnicity he is] food

55 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but it's still not close to let's deepfry coca cola. And I am not entirely sure, that you lot simply do not toss in a full can of coke into the deep fryer.

Difference is unless you're a heathen eating weird deep fried things is something you do once or twice a year. I don't get it, but in general fair food is not what people regularly eat. I once had alligator on a stick. Surprisingly, not terrible. 

ETA: And of course you throw the can in. What are you, some kind of savage? 

Edited by Tywin et al.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't get it, but in general fair food is not what people regularly eat. I once had alligator on a stick. Surprisingly, not terrible. 

I tried that once, it wasn't terrible, but revolting.  Tasted like swamp water on stick.  Gross!     :blushing:

25 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just to bring this back to politics, but still keep the food theme, wait till the Iowa state fair where candidates eat deep fried food (such as those breaded hot dogs on a stick - corn dogs?) in an undignified manner in order to fit in. In fact, I think the state fair just concluded so maybe there are pictures of DeSantis awkwardly trying to do some of this and pretend it actually was delicious instead of bland compared to [whatever ethnicity he is] food

Nothing will ever beat the pic of Michele Bachmann going down hard on a corndog.

5 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I tried that once, it wasn't terrible, but revolting.  Tasted like swamp water on stick.  Gross!     :blushing:

For me the worst will always be octopus and squid. You can feel the tentacles crawling around inside you. 

31 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

If you are in Georgia, you KNOW.  

I would be suspicious in Iowa.

Also, I will say, I feel like the penchant to deep fry everything might be a borrowing from the Scots....

Listen, Murray is playing right now and everyone knows when he wins he's from the UK and when he loses he's from Scotland, so can't we all come together and agree good deep fried food is from the UK and the bad dishes are the Scot's fault?

Can't we be reasonable? 

Edited by Tywin et al.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

[whatever ethnicity he is] food

Campania/Southern Italy -- close to Sicily, i.e. Naples.  (There's a reason there's a Naples, FL.)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/28/italian-towns-claim-ron-desantis-as-one-of-their-own-as-republican-race-heats-up

Edited by Zorral

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

Campania/Southern Italy -- close to Sicily, i.e. Naples.  (There's a reason there's a Naples, FL.)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/28/italian-towns-claim-ron-desantis-as-one-of-their-own-as-republican-race-heats-up

The reason there is a Naples, Florida is because the former Confederate general who founded it promoted the place by likening its climate to Italy's. It was not founded by Italian immigrants.

Ron DeSantis was born in Jacksonville at the opposite end of the state from Naples, and his parents had moved to Florida from Pennsylvania and Ohio. His Italian ancestors didn't move directly to Florida. 

An in-depth report by a legal professional eye witness:  "A dispatch from the former White House chief of staff’s removal hearing in Atlanta."  Clear exposition of the legal issues and considerations, beginning with:

.... To get his case “removed” to federal court, Meadows needs to establish three things. The first, that he was a federal officer at the time of the alleged offense, is not in dispute. The second is that the conduct alleged against him has a “causal connection” to federal office. The third is that he has a colorable federal defense against the charges. To satisfy the third prong, Meadows has asserted a federal defense called Supremacy Clause immunity, which shields federal officers from state prosecutions arising from conduct they subjectively and reasonably believed to be “necessary and proper” in carrying out their federal duties.

Meadows’s attorneys have decided to put him on the stand today in support of the second and third prongs of this removal test. That is, they need his testimony to support the notion that his conduct was in some meaningful way an expression of his federal office—not, say, campaign activity or a rogue bit of lawlessness aimed at overturning an election. And they need to show that Meadows subjectively and reasonably believed his actions were “necessary and proper.” ....

https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/mark-meadows-takes-the-stand?

Ormond, I think the Guardian link tells us much the same?  In any case, DeSantis is Italian not Hispanic.  The Naples bit -- well, we all know this region has provided some of our greatest crime orgs to the USA for a very long time, though so many remain shocked at the very idea there were/are Southern Italian/Sicilian crime families in cities ranging from New Orleans to Phoenix, Omaha, etc. -- not just NYC and Chicago. :cheers:  Or Miami and Naples, which latter, I, for one, simply cannot NOT think about whenever I see references to either Naples, Italy or Naples, FL. The history of Florida has from the gitgo been slavery and crime and grift and never has changed. :D

Edited by Zorral

In more news from Arizona, specifically Maricopa County, the Valley of the Sun, the Republican party apparatus has been riddled with Trumpistas and other parasites from the National Republican Party suffering from cranial-rectal inversions.

What are they up to?

Well, first, the Maricopa Country Republican Party (MCRC), now populated entirely with conspiracy theorists, has decided that despite having a bare war chest, they want to skip the normal opportunity to run the presidential primary on the state government dime.  Instead, they want to do it themselves and count the ballots by hand.

These are the people who for the past five years or so have been showing their asses in district meetings by making proposals that make no financial sense, so this $10 million proposed outlay when they currently have only $3 million in the bank is right in line with their prior efforts to bankrupt the local party, local municipalities, the state party, and the state as a whole.  The state Republican Party Chairman isn't a financial moron, and labeled the proposal "a publicity stunt", but don't hold your breath when it comes to these guys implementing their dumb ideas.

Secondly, these Trumpista Puristas have also decided to discard any notion of the Eleventh Commandment, and to do so with utmost violence.  Traditional, successful Republican politicians who have failed to swear fealty to Kari Lake, who have pointed out that they operated a fair election that Donald Trump lost, and who have done the necessary ground work to win seats in traditionally Dem areas like Yuma have all been rewarded by the new Republican Party Trump Activists with motions for censure.  The Kari Lake people have used their time working on creating a winning platform that focuses on the issues of the State of Arizona no wait, they passed a bunch of censure orders on fellow Republicans who have actually won elections.

They censured the Republican legislators who expelled Liz Harris from the Arizona State House after she brought a bunch of liars onto the House floor who told fantastical stories about the Governor working for a Mexican Drug cartel.

They censured Maricopa County Attorney Rachel Mitchell, an elected Republican who brought a suit for the state of Arizona against Kari Lake for filing frivilous lawsuits alleging voter fraud.

They censured Maricopa County Recorder Stephen Richer, an elected Republican who sued Kari Lake for defamation after she alleged that he engaged in fraud to give the election to Biden in Maricopa County.

They are currently working on censure for Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Tom Liddy, an elected Republican (and son of That Liddy) who successfully defended Maricopa County against Kari Lake's multiple lawsuits regarding the election.

All of these censures consume the time of the local district Republican party meetings in lengthy, meandering diatribes full of personal attacks on individuals.  Meanwhile, actual work on repairing the party finances, establishing out a set of clear, actionable ideas for a platform, hearing from potential candidates, allocating resources for local poll work, arranging for the usual charitable and pro bono work in the community - none of that is being done.

Trump is the Democrats' greatest ally in terms of local politics, as he and his acolytes are hollowing out the Republican party.

Edited by Wilbur
cain't spel