Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

I have Disney+ for the next three months (I won't be renewing when its back at full price). So I'm looking to work through a back catalogue of shows as well as some new stuff. Looking for any recommendations as to what I should prioritise (UK, if that helps).

Predictably, I binger Newturama and then immediately had to go back and watch the older seasons which I've been watching as background comfort noise,

Thinking I will watch Wandavision (yep, I'm that far behind on Disney+ content). I'm not interested in jumping deep into the marvel stuff but I recall how well received it was and it sounds like my kind of show.

Also going to try OMITB which I know has received a lot of praise around the forum.

Which of the Star Wars shows, if any, would you all suggest? I'm aware that they've been a bit of a mixed bag.

57 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

Thinking I will watch Wandavision (yep, I'm that far behind on Disney+ content). I'm not interested in jumping deep into the marvel stuff but I recall how well received it was and it sounds like my kind of show.

Also going to try OMITB which I know has received a lot of praise around the forum.

Which of the Star Wars shows, if any, would you all suggest? I'm aware that they've been a bit of a mixed bag.

Out of the Marvel shows I think Wandavision, Loki and Moon Knight were my favourites.

I really enjoy Only Murders in the Building as well.

Andor I think is the best thing Star Wars has done since probably Empire Strikes Back. The Mandalorian is good fun, although I think the first season is the best.

Disney Marvel shows: 

I think I liked Ms. Marvel and Hawkeye best. Ms. Marvel for her family and the style/music. Hawkeye caught me by surprise – I wasn't expecting to like it, but it was well-paced and engaging. Wandavision was okay: certainly enjoyed the playing with TV genres. 

Season 1 of Only Murders in the Building is great. I watched it when I was sick and insomniac and it was perfect for that. Seasons 2 and 3 are a bit samey, but still fun and and if you liked S1 you'll probably like them as well. 

Star Wars: Andor and Mandalorian Season 1. 

Edited by dog-days

On 9/3/2023 at 3:06 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, I remember watching B&B as a kid in the 90's. My parents thought The Simpsons was too much for me. If they only knew.

Did you ever check out the new movie? It's just as good as B&B Do America. 

We've watched all the seasons now from 3 onwards (1 & 2 are not available on Paramount + :() and I just feel underwhelmed by it. I was sure there were more music videos in it! And the episodes are so short! Some are like 10 minutes long. I guess it's just me misremembering stuff from 30 years ago, eh? 

I have not seen the new movie, not sure if I knew that there was one actually. Maybe it is contemporaneous with the latest episodes of the show (I want to say 2008 or something like that), I will see if it's on Paramount +.

Other than that, I've been too busy and it's been too hot for watching anything properly. Apart from Masterchef (celebrity version), which I think was the best season in ages as it had people in it that were watchable (as in, not truly awful people), whom you wanted to do well. Ditto Bake Off The Professionals as well. 

On 9/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, Ran said:

I think I liked the first story a little more, as there's a certain noir flavor to it as the lovelorn detective meets and falls in love with a woman involved in Hong Kong's criminal underworld. But the second story features the magnetic Leung, and  singer Faye Wong both on camera but also she contributes a couple of songs to the soundtrack, particularly a very appealing Cantonese cover of The Cranberries's "Dreaming":

This was played on The Cranberries (Zombie) episode of the 60 Songs that Explain the 90's podcast which I just listened to a few days ago. I've not see the film but it was a reminder like, dang, another film I should have watched, I must get to that.

Pretty much all of the Disney Marvel shows have the same great points, but the exact same flaws. 

They all have high production values for tv ( well some very dodgy CGI aside in some of them), they often feature famous actors and are a continuation of the marvel universe from the movies. They also all appear to be doing something unique from each other, at least on the surface.

But they all pretty much fall apart as a 6 episode season, unable to sustain the run time, unable to climax in a satisfactory way, and they almost all are victims of the Marvel formula of needing a big splashy fight at the end. 

Wandavision is the biggest encapsulation of that I think, a fantastic concept, incredibly well done; but totally flaps the ending under the MCU machine pressure. 

Overall with Disney + it’s nice to get the MCU movies on there but the quality of the platform in general is pretty mediocre and they have seriously slowed down in releasing new content lately 

Loki and Hawkeye are the best Disney+ Marvel shows for me. Loki had the best grasp of where it was going with its premise and the least slowdown, Hawkeye was just the best-written, especially the casual character-building dialogue which Marvel has otherwise forgotten almost entirely how to do.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

We've watched all the seasons now from 3 onwards (1 & 2 are not available on Paramount + :() and I just feel underwhelmed by it. I was sure there were more music videos in it! And the episodes are so short! Some are like 10 minutes long. I guess it's just me misremembering stuff from 30 years ago, eh? 

It's strange, I don't think the show has aged well, but both movies are great. Have you ever checked out King of the Hill? It's really problematic in 2023, but if you can get past that it's the better of the two cartoons Mike Judge created. 

I have not seen the new movie, not sure if I knew that there was one actually. Maybe it is contemporaneous with the latest episodes of the show (I want to say 2008 or something like that), I will see if it's on Paramount +.

I was able to watch it on Paramount+ when it came out, but the US and UK always have slightly different slates of what's available. 

The movie is a pretty funny concept. Basically B&B get accidentally teleported from the 90's to 2022 and turns into a fish out of water story with a few fun twists. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Keep seeing references to nostalgia for B&B and thinking of Bodger and Badger

Oh, wow. There's a throwback that immediately brought back a flood of nice memories of my nanna looking after me as a child.

Anyway, thanks all for the input on Disney+ recs

On 9/5/2023 at 12:36 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. 

Actually pretty good. The first half drags but I really like the second. The third act is pretty bonkers. Harrison Fords Greek sounds pretty good. Great action scenes; especially the tuck tuk chase. 

This should have gotten more love at the box office IMO.

Finished this.  I never cared for Temple of Doom, so I'm placing this one as second best after the original.  Haven't watched any of them in years tho, or decades even, so it's last thing watched bias.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, ljkeane said:

I watched Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse on a flight. I enjoyed what there was but it’s basically half a film. Was that clearly advertised at the time? I’d have been pretty annoyed if I’d paid to go see it.

I think it was actually fairly complete if you view it as Gwen's film.  She had a full arc.  Miles was a long set up for his next arc, and catalyst for Gwen's.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:09 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Just finished Twin Peaks S2. The films and S3 are pending.

MY BRAIN HAS MORE HOLES THAN SWISS CHEESE. thats how fucked lynch left me 

Please explain as much as possible without spoiling the rest

It's structured around duality, not conflict.  Various characters represent different archetypes of the same characters.  As with all stories about duality, some of those archetypes represent unconscious personas, some conscious, some subconscious and liminal.  Silent liminal characters represent those who stand between the conscious and unconscious world, all knowing but unable to express their vision.  These can be Trickster archetypes, or Fools, or Innocents.  Or all at once.  That 3rd season is fantastic.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:16 PM, The Social Liability said:

I'm thinking about buying from Walmart season 1 of the Lord of the Rings TV show Rings of Power. I haven't watched any of it! But I sure do love The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the books as well.

NOooooooooooo don't do it!   Fly you fool!   They might as well have called it Zack Snyder's Rings of Power.

The original Mad Max was on tv last night. I probably last saw it 25 years ago. 

It still amazes me that the series transitioned from that movie into Mad Max 2 and the well known aesthetic we all know today when we think about apocalyptic wastelands. This first movie is so different to everything else in the series, it has that low budget, grimey feel of late 70s, early 80's sci fi (though it's barely sci fi), reminds me a lot of Escape from NY with it's grim vibe. 

What is noticeable however is just good Miller is at directing vehicular action! Even in this movie there is a real sense of speed and danger, chases feel real, you really feel it when someone gets hit or crashes. 

Honestly I never really liked it when I first saw it, and maybe I don't much like it now either, it has the building blocks of Mad Max but it's too unpleasant to be fun and watchable.