Dune part 2: the spoilers must flow (Spoilers for the movies)

Kalbear

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Yes, I thought that at the time.

The problem is, when you see people in long robes and headscarves, all genuflecting and saying “Messiah”, “Lisan Al Gaib”, “Mahdi”, etc., it’s hard not to think of The Life of Brian.

All we needed was someone angrily saying “What have the Harkonnens ever done for us?”

“He’s not the messiah!! He’s a very naughty boy!!!”

I've seen a lot of discussion about who could handle Children of Dune and someone just said, "Fuck it, why not David Lynch?"

He would never go for it. Werner Herzog probably would though, and for a bonus would volunteer to play Worm-Leto in God-Emperor (directed by Jared Leto, probably).

Edited by Werthead

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I've seen a lot of discussion about who could handle Children of Dune and someone just said, "Fuck it, why not David Lynch?"

He would never go for it. Werner Herzog probably would though, and for a bonus would volunteer to play Worm-Leto in God-Emperor (directed by Jared Leto, probably).

It’s already been adapted once right ? So it can be done.

I'd like to see DV take on the next film in a few years.  He's shown enough respect for the source material imo.

Overall I loved part 2.  Do wonder if youre not quite familiar with the book, how much didnt make much sense.  And the sound level was too high across the board at the theater I saw it at.

Not sure there needs to be a rush about Children of Dune yet though.   Give it a few years.  

The end of the movie quite obviously appears as if Chani is set to be an antagonist to Paul in whatever sequel might come about.

But Paul also tells Jessica that Chani will come around “I have seen it.”

So what shape do we really think that will take?

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really dislike what he has done to both Star Trek and Star Wars.

Bu... B... BB... But the Rotten Tomatoes?!?

7 hours ago, sifth said:

I agree

I'm being slightly sarcastic. Although, Bad Robot producing...

It's truly remarkable to me how the mighty have fallen. I distinctly remember how the film/nerd twitter went gaga for Star Trek 2009. I also remember the TFA hype back in 2015. I have literally never seen anything like it. Massive critical praise**, SW fans wetting themselves in theaters***, and my god the money that thing made!

He was the first director not named "James Cameron" to enter the $2 Billion dollar club; not to mention the mountain of cash TFA generated in merchandising. Anyone remember all those BB-8 toys and roaring Woookie masks that went viral a few years ago? I wouldn't be surprised if TFA was the most profitable film of all time; counting all the various revenue streams.

Where is he now?

**Then they saw it twice.

***Some of that was not urine. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

From my personal perspective, Stilgar seeing Paul's denial as further proof of him being the real deal actually rings quite true. In Islamic eschatology, the Mahdi will refuse to answer the call until the believers force him to become their leader.

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

The end of the movie quite obviously appears as if Chani is set to be an antagonist to Paul in whatever sequel might come about.

But Paul also tells Jessica that Chani will come around “I have seen it.”

So what shape do we really think that will take?

I don’t really understand how that will really work for an adaptation of Messiah, mainly because it’s meant to take place 12 years after Dune.

Spoiler

Any antagonism towards Paul would have gone away as she’s having his twins! Though I guess they could time it so the story is about some sort of reconciliation. 

The changed timing of how old Alia is in the movie is probably a hint of how they will push timings around. Plus I guess it gives Tim Chalomet a chance get older and look less like a boy himself. 

Either way I’m not convinced there is a fun movie to be made out of Messiah. It could never live up to Dune in that way. 

I think you guys are reading too much into her being antagonistic…she was pissed off at that moment cause of the crazy escalation that Paul caused, but it felt more like she wanted to escape that situation and get her own space for a bit…rather than foment open rebellion against Paul. That could happen eventually though.

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I think you guys are reading too much into her being antagonistic…she was pissed off at that moment cause of the crazy escalation that Paul caused, but it felt more like she wanted to escape that situation and get her own space for a bit…rather than foment open rebellion against Paul. That could happen eventually though.

Maybe,  but the movie makes a big point of showing her leaving and being pissed off. They will have to do something with that to tie it back in. Her just being a little bit annoyed for a while really isn’t very compelling. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe,  but the movie makes a big point of showing her leaving and being pissed off. They will have to do something with that to tie it back in. Her just being a little bit annoyed for a while really isn’t very compelling. 

Paul with his prescience says that she'll come around. I actually very much like the idea of someone being in strong ideological opposition to a revolution, but their feelings are irrelevant to the ruthless inevitability of determinism.

I do agree with you that since this dynamic of antagonism has been introduced, I hope they do something interesting with it.

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I think you guys are reading too much into her being antagonistic…she was pissed off at that moment cause of the crazy escalation that Paul caused, but it felt more like she wanted to escape that situation and get her own space for a bit…

If this was the impression Villeneuve was trying to give there's no way he'd have ended on a shot of her. He gave Chani leaving more prominence than the start of the Jihad ffs.