MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

My theater must have a sound problem, because it was hard to hear many of the lines with other sounds in the background, especially and sadly Chuk Iwuji's lines. I got the gist of most, though.

That being said, just as I was ready to give up on the MCU, here comes James Gunn and the Guardians with the best, most emotional movie since No Way Home. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I think if you like these characters you will like this movie a lot. If you don't, there are still some solid beats to it, especially the emotional stuff.

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

My theater must have a sound problem, because it was hard to hear many of the lines with other sounds in the background, especially and sadly Chuk Iwuji's lines. I got the gist of most, though.

That being said, just as I was ready to give up on the MCU, here comes James Gunn and the Guardians with the best, most emotional movie since No Way Home. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I think if you like these characters you will like this movie a lot. If you don't, there are still some solid beats to it, especially the emotional stuff.

Sounds like it I had not problems at all understanding his lines. But modern movies really tend to suffer if the sound settings are not optimal.  

I really enjoyed it. It's a shame Gunn is no longer available for MCU. It was a pefect balance between emotional moments, nearly, but not quite, breaking the line of pathos, and humorous stuff, which was generally good at least. 

44 minutes ago, Relic said:

No Way Home was an emotional movie? Interesting. 

It had its moments, didn't it? There is a major death that the protagonist has to deal with it and then at the end he makes a big sacrifice. 

7 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Sounds like it I had not problems at all understanding his lines. But modern movies really tend to suffer if the sound settings are not optimal.  

Had the same problem when I went to see John Wick. I couldn't understand anything in the first 10 minutes of that movie.

Just saw it.  Loved every minute of it.  

It’s a big mess of green screen with comedic quips just like the rest of the MCU… so what makes it so much better than every other recent movie? It had heart the others were lacking.

The movie had a lot of heart, but dam do I hate seeing MCU films in the theater. The constant noise people make whenever a character does something funny, that isn't laughter just irritates me. "He's so stupid", "just shut up man", "he's so annoying". Is it so hard for people to just be quite during a film?

29 minutes ago, sifth said:

The movie had a lot of heart, but dam do I hate seeing MCU films in the theater. The constant noise people make whenever a character does something funny, that isn't laughter just irritates me. "He's so stupid", "just shut up man", "he's so annoying". Is it so hard for people to just be quite during a film?

I had a full theater and didn’t get that. :dunno: 

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I had a full theater and didn’t get that. :dunno: 

It's only MCU films for me. I saw the Mario Brothers movie just a few weeks ago and everyone was quite and respectful. When I see an MCU film, people are jumping out of their seat, when Andrew Garfield shows up.

Edited by sifth

On 5/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, sifth said:

Have you tried going to a different movie theater?

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 has finally hit theaters and while it did make an impressive $114 million at the box office during its opening weekend, it was not enough to beat out its predecessors. In fact, it ranks dead last in terms of opening weekends for Disney’s top summer Marvel releases since 2013, with the lowest-grossing total of all nine, according to IndieWire. Ouch.

While the film did receive mixed reviews, earning an 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it was not enough to bring in the same kind of revenue as previous Marvel films. The falloff from last year’s Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is steep, with Guardians down $73 million from its predecessor, despite being a sequel to a more successful series

Wow.  That really surprises me.

I really liked the movie. Nice blend of humor with some truly horrific parts and real character arcs for almost everyone. I'd say that the plot wasn't even important, but I didn't care because I was there for the characters and their journey, not the story journey.

Spoiler

When I say I didn't care about the plot, it's that the "go get the MacGuffin to save my friend" plot is not that interesting. But everyone had a solid personal journey within that structure. That's why the movie worked. Gunn nailed it.

And I'm really glad that Gamora didn't just fall for Quill (again). She grew to respect him and appreciate the life the other Gamora had built, but it wasn't her life. She stood apart from the group hug with the gang, because it wasn't her group. Her group was waiting with Stallone's Ravagers. That's the life this Gamora lives. I loved this angle.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:45 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I am Groot.

I love you guys too.

Edited by Myrddin

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Wow.  That really surprises me.

Two things to note about the recent MCU releases (post NWH).

1. There’s a pretty strong correlation between RT score and domestic box office. This is good news as GotG 3’s RT score is pretty good. WoM is also quite good.

2. Within certain bounds, DOM box office earnings curves are remarkably similar. 20% by midnight on the first Friday; 50% by the end of week 1; and between the end of week 6 to week 8, 95-98% of every dollar is in. They’re just going after crumbs after that. 

The one exception to this was Quantummania, which had even worse legs. It fell just short of A-M 2 domestically despite a significantly higher opening.  And while it beat A-M 1 domestically, more than 100% of the difference came on opening weekend. 

In short, these films have feeble legs so they have to come out of the gate screaming. Maybe this will defy the recent trend, but a $117m opening is not great news.