Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

6 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Correction: JJ Abrams and Mike Apted, the screenwriters, sent him there. 

Well I guess Rian Johnson sent him there and JJ Abrams allowed it.

And JJ did his usual thing in TFA where he introduces a bunch of mysteries but doesn't have any resolution for them. So I've always felt JJ should get as much blame as KK.

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Well I guess Rian Johnson sent him there and JJ Abrams allowed it.

And JJ did his usual thing in TFA where he introduces a bunch of mysteries but doesn't have any resolution for them. So I've always felt JJ should get as much blame as KK.

If you didn't like these movies, please don't forget that there are other people involved in the day to day creation of this stuff, like Bob Iger. And scriptwriter Chris Terrio - you know, the guy who wrote BvS: Dawn of Justice.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Have the bi-monthly sequel trilogy flame wars started again?!?:cheers:

There was a sequel trilogy?! I thought they stopped after the prequels! :D

45 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

There was a sequel trilogy?! I thought they stopped after the prequels! :D

The prequels? What garbage. I can't believe Lucas raped my childhood!

Wait. I forgot. We like the prequels now. Silly me. Hate has been shifted from Lucas to Kennedy. Got it. Lost the memo.

6 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Wait. I forgot. We like the prequels now. Silly me. Hate has been shifted from Lucas to Kennedy. Got it. Lost the memo.

“Rose is the key to all of this, if we get Rose working, because she’s a funnier character than we’ve ever had before” 

20 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

“Rose is the key to all of this, if we get Rose working, because she’s a funnier character than we’ve ever had before” 

Hey you leave Rose Tyler alone! 

Wait...am I in the right franchise anymore?

TBH, Revenge of the Sith was the first Star Wars film I ever saw at age 9 and it blew me away (back in 2005 in the theatres !)so maybe that’s made me biased but I really enjoyed the prequels and the OT which I saw later in chronological order and then went back and saw 1 and 2(enjoyed AoTC the least though ,which was a drag even watching it as a kid)

I remember kid me being super impressed that they’ve already made 4,5,6 after I finished ep 3 heh. And I was shocked to see how old Obi had become in 20 years!

So maybe I’d like the sequel trilogy more if I saw it today as a 9 yr old kid being introduced to SW rather than an adult, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt I guess. I’d be curious to know what today’s kids think of the Disney SW movies…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

It is always remarkable to me to hear how many folks who grew up with the prequels as their movie in theaters have that as their canonical Star Wars love. They don't care about the stupid dialog (or just meme the shit out of it) - for them it defines their childhood in the same way the OT defined mine.

In that respect Lucas absolutely nailed it. And also, in that respect the ST was a massive failure. Hopefully future folks will make the new Star Wars shows more about it being the kids first.

(this, btw, is one of the victories for Mandalorian - the kids absolutely love it, even when I don't)

On 7/12/2023 at 10:00 AM, Relic said:

Blaming the shit show that is Disney's SW on all on one person is dumb. People have latched on to this woman's name and treat her as is she's the reason cancer exists. Stupid. She's just one of the people behind all of these poor decisions.

Except you know that is the responsibility of leadership.  She probably didn't actively make SW awful and calling her names and whatnot is odd and stupid.  But it has happened under her control.  So yes, it is fair to blame her.  It happens in all lines of work.

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Except you know that is the responsibility of leadership.  She probably didn't actively make SW awful and calling her names and whatnot is odd and stupid.  But it has happened under her control.  So yes, it is fair to blame her.  It happens in all lines of work.

i mean someone literally said she should be tared and feathered. 

28 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

In that respect Lucas absolutely nailed it.

Nailed what though? Making something that existed? That was marketed, and so kids watched it, and now they have nostalgia for it? What are we praising him for exactly?

28 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Nailed what though? Making something that existed? That was marketed, and so kids watched it, and now they have nostalgia for it? What are we praising him for exactly?

I mean he made the PT so that it was an iconic part of a lot of people's childhoods. Kids didn't just watch it; there were plenty of other movies kids could watch then. They devoured it, and it became something that would later be their nostalgia. 

What I'm praising him for is creating two separate sets of trilogy movies that became a core component of children's lives during that period. There aren't a whole lot of things that can say that, and there aren't a whole lot of directors that can say that. Even Spielberg can't. And while the PT did a lot - a LOT - of things absolutely stupidly, the fact is that it stayed loved by a bunch of kids during that time is kind of meaningful and was Lucas' original goal all along. 

5 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I mean he made the PT so that it was an iconic part of a lot of people's childhoods. Kids didn't just watch it; there were plenty of other movies kids could watch then. They devoured it, and it became something that would later be their nostalgia. 

What I'm praising him for is creating two separate sets of trilogy movies that became a core component of children's lives during that period. There aren't a whole lot of things that can say that, and there aren't a whole lot of directors that can say that. Even Spielberg can't. And while the PT did a lot - a LOT - of things absolutely stupidly, the fact is that it stayed loved by a bunch of kids during that time is kind of meaningful and was Lucas' original goal all along. 

Yeah, plus the other thing the PT did, even more than the OT if anything, is give a huge amount of space for imagination to grow, for stories to be told in. Regardless of the failures of the trilogy itself, an absurd amount of stories have come out of the structure it created. People love to tell stories set during and after its events- and audiences love to watch, read and play them. 

As far as I can tell, in the aftermath of the sequel trilogy, basically no-one gives a shit. Sure, there's still time, it's not been that long, but like: currently there are, of projects where we know the premise or at least setting: four upcoming movies, four upcoming (new) TV shows, three upcoming games, three upcoming novels (plus a couple kid's books), plus not sure how many upcoming comics because I can't be bothered to sort ongoing from new in the list I found but none of them break the pattern so eh. How many of those 20+ comfirmed projects are set around or after the ST? One. And it's called New Jedi Order, so there's a good chance it's riffing of the old SWEU as much as anything. 

There are a few games and movies of which the premise has not been unveiled yet, but I'd be surprised if any of them break that trend, and really fucking surprised if more than a couple do. 

All that to say: George Lucas wasn't maybe all that super at telling his stories, but he was fucking great at making people want to see and be involved with his stories. 

17 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I do not like the prequels.  They are bad films.  I still haven’t watched “The Rise of Skywalker”.  JJ Abrams is just so aggressively mediocre.  Why waste my time.  Andor on the other hand took risks and created something special. 

By the way, while Andor deservedly received a bunch of Emmy nods, including for best drama series, Obi-Wan Kenobi got in, as well, in the best limited series category. Feel free to digest that. It also received a nomination for costumes. Leia hidden in Obi-Wan's trench coat really worked for voters. :P