Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

40 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The difference between the Blackadders is interesting. Even leaving 1 aside.

The 2nd is more reactive, basically after good times and a quiet life, while trying to survive thr queen’s mercurial moods.

The 3rd is the most proactively ‘evil’, actively plotting to gain power.

The 4th is more like the 2nd, really just trying to keep his head down and survive the war and his own general.

This is true, whilst the general theme of him being a sort of middle class everyman who is attempting to navigate and manipulate the stupidity of the ruling classes, mostly in an attempt to survive. 

Whereas first season he is the ruling class, which maybe also another reason why it's less interesting. 

I've always enjoyed seeing how far down the ladder the Blackadder dynasty goes over time. 

21 hours ago, Heartofice said:

This is true, whilst the general theme of him being a sort of middle class everyman who is attempting to navigate and manipulate the stupidity of the ruling classes, mostly in an attempt to survive. 

Whereas first season he is the ruling class, which maybe also another reason why it's less interesting. 

I've always enjoyed seeing how far down the ladder the Blackadder dynasty goes over time. 

I would hardly call him a middle class everyman though. Isn't one of the most important and interesting structural aspects of the show that each new iteration of Blackadder descends further and further down the social ladder.

From Prince to Lord to Butler to the King (which was a highly sought after position) to Victorian merchant to lowly Captain to eventually

Spoiler

a bottom dwelling intergalactic serf in the vision of Victorian Blackadder 

On Midsummer's day I went to see The Wicker Man at the cinema for its 50th anniversary. Absolutely marvellous to watch it on a big screen but also to see a recording of a live presentation of music and interviews with people involved in the film, e.g. Britt Ekland, the man whose band (Magnet) played the music, writers/film critics and also two of the sons of Robin Hardy (the director) who are making a docufilm called Wickermania. The latter was especially eye-opening. :o I believe that film is due out in September. 

Every time I watch the film I see its influence on other films and shows. It really is a part of our culture, e.g. Reece Shearsmith admitted that almost everything he's done is a copy of The Wicker Man.

Deadloch: The plot thickens, and finally, Dulcie had it out with wifey!

Spoiler

Sweet, soft-spoken dude (Eddie's "gruck")

is not off my suspect list just yet. Then again,

Spoiler

Rich Woman

is highly sus, too. Why

Spoiler

was she so keen on that one girl to go for the scholarship? What happened when said girl lost that earring, did she witness something and what/ who is buried on the island?

Strange New Worlds: A far better offering than episode 1. Some wonky writing/ directing but overall fine. But please, please trust your audience to not be idiots! Intercutting what was said 10 minutes before with reading out that paragraph and then spelling it out for us was highly unnecessary. Sometimes, less is more.

On 6/22/2023 at 10:51 AM, Veltigar said:

I would hardly call him a middle class everyman though. Isn't one of the most important and interesting structural aspects of the show that each new iteration of Blackadder descends further and further down the social ladder.

From Prince to Lord to Butler to the King (which was a highly sought after position) to Victorian merchant to lowly Captain to eventually

Hide contents

a bottom dwelling intergalactic serf in the vision of Victorian Blackadder 

Spoiler

Actually he brcomes supreme ruler of the universe 

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:
  Hide contents

Actually he brcomes supreme ruler of the universe 

Oh yes, that's right, but only at the end though

Spoiler

And if memory serves, the ultimate triumph of future Blacadder leads to the destruction of his Victorian ancestors lot in life. So it's a downwards trend all the way to the very end ;) 

You might even see it as a lifetime of the universe joke. Perhaps the first Blackadder was also a supreme ruler, gradually devolving all the time up until the end of history when his final incarnation became intergalactic ruler

Hello folks, I didn't know whether to post this here or in General chatter so...

I watched just 2 films this month. Very bad low number for my mental health if it wasn't for the workload occupying. One of them 12 minutes long. Through to Sopranos S2. There's a lot of good television to catch up on.

But I'm worried my movie watching experience will never be the same again. On the one hand watching films in between a series is unsatisfying. On the other I have to compulsively finish a series. Not necessarily binge like with Breaking Bad but still be over it. But that too is affecting the show watching experience. 

Now for me, this is serious. I view the film medium as a culmination of all the arts. It's what got me through the pandemic (in my late teens with rigid upper middle class parents exploring the meaninglesness of all, thanks for the condolences) along with music and books (oh don't start on them, sigh). Like from Dead Poets Society, it's what we live for. Now I have the professional purpose that I lacked then. Undergrad going great. Parents happy. Me busy so no time to bitch and moan metaphysically. But cinema is not what it was to me before. Will I ever get that back? The sheer fucking joy.

Edited by TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Oh yes, that's right, but only at the end though

Reveal hidden contents

And if memory serves, the ultimate triumph of future Blacadder leads to the destruction of his Victorian ancestors lot in life. So it's a downwards trend all the way to the very end ;) 

You might even see it as a lifetime of the universe joke. Perhaps the first Blackadder was also a supreme ruler, gradually devolving all the time up until the end of history when his final incarnation became intergalactic ruler

Though I believe in that case:

Spoiler

he would only become an intergalactic serf if he stayed nice, which he doesn't

Finished Black Mirror's latest season. Linda and I agree with @mormont, "Demon 79" was the best episode of the season. Loved the lates 70s British horror aesthetic being played with, Anjana Vasan and Paapa Essiedu was a great pairing, and  Shaun Dooley was fantastic as the gruff but empathetic police detective (he was terrific in It's a Sin) and I think someone should book him as a lead of the next retro 70s/early 80s copper show. 

I actually liked all the episodes this season, but agree "Beyond the Sea" was longer than it needed to be. I also feel the implications of its ending are patently false:

Spoiler

The man who just murdered my family using my own body is the only companionship I now have? He'd absolutely try to kill him and, if he succeeded at that, either he'd try to struggle on alone or he'd kill himself. I don't see that calculus making any real sense outside of literary fiat.

Now, if David had instead taken Cliff's absence to destroy the link or jettison his link card out the airlock, then I could see that ending. 

OTOH, the objection about why are they sending people out to space and not replicas, there are lots of tech things Black Mirror has done where there's some obvious hole but we understand it's there for effect. Do we really need some dialog about how the replicas are almost instantly wrecked by cosmic radiation or whatever? Yeah, it'd be nice to have, but it's not really necessary.

"Mazey Day" was pretty good, liked the twist as to what was going on and

Spoiler

what seemed like an obvious An American Werewolf in London homage. 

"Loch Henry" was, I guess, the least of the five, and it wasn't bad at all, it just seemed a bit scatter-shot.

Edited by Ran

47 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Anyone watching the T.V. show From ? Really good Stephen King story that Stephen King never wrote heh.

The most bonkers show on TV. Shame that nobody seems to be watching.

Might be something to to with the god-awful title of the show. 

I watched a couple of episodes of Obsession yesterday - this is the Richard Armitage series which is an adaptation of Damage (the novel which was adapated into a film of the same name, starring Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche in the early 1990's). Perhaps unsurprisingly, the two leads have hardly any chemistry to the point of it being near uncomfortable to watch. I mean, surely, if you are doing a series about a couple who are desperately, unbearably attracted to each other surely you can find two actors who have some convincing on screen chemistry? And if you can't, maybe don't make it? Anyone else watched yet?

Also, there is no clue as to why the protagonist wants to cheat on his hot, supportive, all round lovely wife. It makes no sense at all in a storytelling sense. Obviously I need to watch the last two episodes though.

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It still amazes me how black mirror has become a steaming pile of dog shit ever since season 4.  Nothing will ever reach the level of white Christmas again. No logic ,bad humour ,premise,boring characters etc Charlie booker has really become lazy.

I blame Netflix

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

I blame Netflix

Every season from season 3 on is a Netflix season, including classics like "San Junipero", "Hang the DJ", etc. Season 5 was a weak year but this season is not that dissimilar to S4, which has a couple of forgettable episodes too.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:18 PM, dog-days said:

Though I believe in that case:

Hide contents

he would only become an intergalactic serf if he stayed nice, which he doesn't

I believe GRRM based King Robert, at least in part, on Blackadder season 1’s King Richard IV (in trith one of the lost princes), played by Brian Blessed.

Certai, GRRM is a Blackadder fan and said Brian Blessed would make a good Robert