Titanic Horror! Tourist Submersible Goes Missing While Attempting to View Wreckage of Titanic.

Parsons

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/19/us/titanic-missing-sub-tourist-tour

Pilot plus 4 tourist have gone missing after all contact with their deep sea submersible was suddenly lost. Frantic search and rescue efforts are underway. Assuming the luckless people were not killed instantly from a catastrophic implosion then the craft has only around 90s hours of survivable air.

All contact with the craft was cut off when it had reached a depth of approximately 13,000 feet.

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Elon will save them! Anyone who says otherwise is a pedo guy!

Guardian: It uses Elon Musk’s Starlink satellite technology to communicate, though it is unclear if it was the cause of the loss of contact.

Maybe not?

Let's hope they can be found and rescued in time.

The thing that really bothers me is that this sub could be floating on the surface lost with those inside waiting to be let out of the sub.  My claustrophobia is going wild thinking about this.

I cannot imagine getting inside a vessel that is then sealed externally and needs someone on the outside to release me from that vessel.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Part of me is curious, how much money is gonna be spent for the search of five people, who went missing while they were on the way to visit the watery grave of 1.000+ souls. And then I'd like to compare that number to the amount of money being spent on saving the lives of people on the many people in the mediterranean. 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Part of me is curious, how much money is gonna be spent for the search of five people, who went missing while they were on the way to visit the watery grave of 1.000+ souls. And then I'd like to compare that number to the amount of money being spent on saving the lives of people on the many people in the mediterranean. 

I think, for these reasons, many people will say fuck 'em. Fucking ghouls.

Wouldn't call them ghouls. I mean, the folks have been dead for 100 years, so it's not like there are any bodies left for them to see (I guess).

So is it really more ghoulish than visiting the pyramids, or the Pere Lachaise. I just find the different value of the respective lives to be interesting. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12213437/The-claustrophobic-conditions-inside-missing-Titanic-vessel.html

This article contains a number of pictures and diagrams showing the interior of the submersible. Apart from the single toilet there aren't even any seats. No standing room. Five people trapped in there. No way to even lay down. Imagine the muscle cramping that must occur after barely being able to move around. If the craft is still intact, do they even have any power? Imagine being stuck in there and being in total darkness.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The thing that really bothers me is that this sub could be floating on the surface lost with those inside waiting to be let out of the sub.  My claustrophobia is going wild thinking about this.

I cannot imagine getting inside a vessel that is then sealed externally and needs someone on the outside to release me from that vessel.  

From what I have read, it's hard to see how it could possibly have gotten back to the surface. Here's a CNN article with a summary and some relevant extracts:

The submersible began its two-hour descent to the wreck on Sunday morning. It lost contact with the Polar Prince, the support ship that transported the vessel to the site, 1 hour and 45 minutes into its descent, officials said.

When CBS correspondent David Pogue took a trip on the Titan down to the Titanic wreck last year, on the invitation of OceanGate, he said the hatch was sealed from the outside with 17 bolts – there was no other way out.

With no GPS underwater, the submersible is only guided by text messages from the surface ship. On Pogue’s trip, communications broke down during a dive and the submersible was lost for over two hours, he said.

This is absolutely terrible design. Also, I don't understand how they're allowed to do this without an emergency beacon of some sort -- it can't be radio based because they're too deep, but there are acoustic communicators (they're low bandwidth, but for this it really doesn't matter).

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wouldn't call them ghouls. I mean, the folks have been dead for 100 years, so it's not like there are any bodies left for them to see (I guess).

So is it really more ghoulish than visiting the pyramids, or the Pere Lachaise. I just find the different value of the respective lives to be interesting. 

Yeah at a certain point I don’t think disaster tourism like this is unethical—everyone who’d be directly related or involved with the titanic would be dead now.

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

That design really sounds criminal – a bleak echo of the design problems that led to so many people dying in 1912.

And in this case here had already been near-disasters, and nothing was done! 

Yeah the really needs to be sued and or criminally charged.

The game controller thing is a bit silly. Militaries around the world have been using unbranded game controllers, or bespoke game controllers from manufacturers like Microsoft, to control unmanned aerial and ground vehicles. There’s nothing wrong with a sub being controlled with a game controller. They’re robust, easy to replace, etc.