The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

One more bit of trivia: only 7 users have 100 or more people on ignore, and the #1 person leads by a substantial margin over #2; they have nearly 1,000 people on ignore. These are all people who were primarily here for GoT and were not actually very active posters (one never actually posted at all), so I think they were using "ignore" just to weed out comments from people who didn't post things that interested them rather than actual animus.

25 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think they were using "ignore" just to weed out comments from people who didn't post things that interested them rather than actual animus.

That's smart!  I wish I'd learned about Ignore much earlier and how to do it.  It would have prevented a lot of time wasting.  Not just my time, but that of others, doubtless.

Edited by Zorral

In a complete change of subject for this board, I just saw a kid, maybe 12-13 years old at most, walk away from a yard sale with the whole box set of books 1-4*. He'd never seen the show nor read GRRM before. It was fun to see. 

Also, Canadians are really, really into yard sales. There seem to be multiple ones on every block in Toronto every single weekend.

*I like that box set. It's pleasingly cubical.

16 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ignoring mods doesn't work. You have to get on the ignore list of moderators.

Not ignore, but actively avoid.  One must worship the spaces between the mods, and thus preserve the merest chance of disappearing into oblivion in the Outside rather than suffer their eternal torture.

16 hours ago, Datepalm said:

In a complete change of subject for this board, I just saw a kid, maybe 12-13 years old at most, walk away from a yard sale with the whole box set of books 1-4*. He'd never seen the show nor read GRRM before. It was fun to see. 

Also, Canadians are really, really into yard sales. There seem to be multiple ones on every block in Toronto every single weekend.

*I like that box set. It's pleasingly cubical.

I’m trying to sell my books on FB Marketplace but nobody wants them anymore :lmao: should have done that before the final season came out. 

Well, I would only know from YouTube but North America is overall obsessed with thrifting and yard sales and estate sales. Meanwhile in Eastern Europe, we are still obsessed with trying (and failing) to afford IKEA :lol: 

10 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m trying to sell my books on FB Marketplace but nobody wants them anymore :lmao: should have done that before the final season came out. 

Well, I would only know from YouTube but North America is overall obsessed with thrifting and yard sales and estate sales. Meanwhile in Eastern Europe, we are still obsessed with trying (and failing) to afford IKEA :lol: 

I can't speak for the entire continent, but in my area yard sales are dead. As a kid in the 90's you'd see them everywhere in the summer and fall and they would be packed. These days I only see a few of them and there's barely anyone at them. >90% of the stuff is junk, but once in a while you'd find a gem. If I had to guess their decline is mostly due to people becoming more isolated. 

I've never been to an estate sale, but I hear they can actually be pretty interesting. 

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't speak for the entire continent, but in my area yard sales are dead. As a kid in the 90's you'd see them everywhere in the summer and fall and they would be packed. These days I only see a few of them and there's barely anyone at them. >90% of the stuff is junk, but once in a while you'd find a gem. If I had to guess their decline is mostly due to people becoming more isolated. 

I've never been to an estate sale, but I hear they can actually be pretty interesting. 

I've seen them very occasionally where I've lived in the US - urban-ish (by US Standards) parts of the East Bay and Boston metro - in the past few years. Here in Toronto they really seem a regular part of the landscape. I walked past multiple ones just running errands yesterday. Apparently this is still 'recovering from Covid", according to a man who foisted a cupcake tree on me (anyone need a cupcake tree?). Buy-Nothing facebook goups were massive in Boston though, during COVID anyway.

ETA - hard to say about the junk level - I own literally nothing in household stuff, so I picked up some glasses and a coffee press for a dollar - basic but lovely when starting from scratch. Saw books, kitchen things, shoes, clothes, household appliances, and lots of kid stuff, all doing reasonably brisk trade.

ETA2 - I haven't watched the show (it seems like a nice enough bit of fanfic, I guess?) and I am still actively waiting for the next book. And by god y'all had better be here to argue about it.

Edited by Datepalm

I walked by a garage sale down the road from me yesterday on my morning walk and it was packed!  Rather surprised though at how many folks were there, didn't even stop though, as I have plenty of junk of my own.  

22 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Tony built Jarvis. If he bought him, then it would.

What if Tony had a really, really, really, mad idea, thought about it for a few years, then when Jarvis was actually up to the task, Tony used the AI tool to run various models and scenarios to see if his idea might actually work? The original idea is Tony's alone. And it is utterly unlike anything we have ever built before. And all the construction and materials testing will have to be performed in the real world.

We're not talking about Jarvis inventing time travel in five minutes here.

Edited by Spockydog

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Still your idea, Tony. You merely used Jarvis as a tool to run simulation/calculate stuff. Jarvis merely saved you the time and trouble to run the experiments by yourself IMO.

That's what I thought.

I've been on a deep dive into the world of AI, and how it is helping all kinds of professionals do better work.

My view is it's just another tool. I mean, ChaptGPT isn't going to suddenly pull the concept of a device that could utterly transform the face of global agriculture out of its arse, is it? :smug:

Edited by Spockydog