R.I.P. Thread 3: A Celebration Of Lives Well Lived

Nictarion

Wilhelminia Fernandez, the opera singer featured in the brilliant movie Diva, has died. I was never into opera even after spending a day with Maureen Forrester, but hearing her sing in that movie was eye opening. That was a life altering experience. Feeling very sad and old today.

Edited by maarsen

• 3 weeks later...

A great comedian. Seeing him visually age over the years on Curb, and especially these last years when multiple surgeries and other health issues took a very visible toll, was sad, but time waits for no man. The previous episode of Curb had him arguing with Larry over putting him in his will, which now feels prescient. I hope Lewis did put his pal into his will just to mess with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RIP Daniel Kahneman (I am sure ormond will object to Kahneman being put into the entertainment thread deaths, alas, I ahve long argued there should be on RIP thread in General Chatter etc.)

One of the modern giants of psychology (him and Tversky were the creators of the prospect theory).

30 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

RIP Daniel Kahneman (I am sure ormond will object to Kahneman being put into the entertainment thread deaths, alas, I ahve long argued there should be on RIP thread in General Chatter etc.)

One of the modern giants of psychology (him and Tversky were the creators of the prospect theory).

Yeah I highly recommend his book Thinking, Fast and Slow (2012), its very insightful and accessible - something that's rare for academics.  I still use him and Tversky's example of framing in class when I go over media effects.

17 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If you think there should be an RIP thread in General Chatter, start one!!

I did exactly that in the Literature section so that discussion of the deaths of authors could be moved out of this thread in Entertainment, and it's worked out well. There is no reason why you or someone else couldn't do the same in General Chatter. :)

As a retired psychology professor I of course think Daniel Kahneman's death does deserve to be mentioned somewhere.

Louis Gossett Jr. has passed away at 87. Great in so many things, for me he stands out as Sgt Foley in An Officer and A Gentleman, for which he won best supporting Oscar and Golden Globe, Drac in Enemy Mine, for which he was nominated for an Oscar and Chappy in the so terrible it’s kind of fun Iron Eagle. 

Edited by hauberk

A great actor and from what I know a man of great personal.conviction and dignity. His performances in Roots and An Officer and a Gentlemen were memorable, but I always thought his performance under  heavy makeup on Enemy Mine always stuck with me, as did his turn in the very very 80s Iron Eagle.

He was also personally brave. Early in the 80s he was co-starring in a TV show with Peter Barton. In a scene involving pyro technics, Barton fell on a flare, his clothing caught on fire, and the first person to react was Gossett, who fell on him and helped put out the flames, sustaining burns himself.

Edited by Ran

On 3/29/2024 at 5:01 PM, hauberk said:

Louis Gossett Jr. has passed away at 87. Great in so many things, for me he stands out as Sgt Foley in An Officer and A Gentleman, for which he won best supporting Oscar and Golden Globe, Drac in Enemy Mine, for which he was nominated for an Oscar and Chappy in the so terrible it’s kind of fun Iron Eagle. 

This went under the radar for me, first I heard it. Loved him in pretty much anything he did. Seemed like a genuinely good person, someone you'd want as a dad.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

RIP Joe Flaherty

Strange Brew and Stripes. Small roles but he was good.

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

This went under the radar for me, first I heard it. Loved him in pretty much anything he did. Seemed like a genuinely good person, someone you'd want as a dad.

Strange Brew and Stripes. Small roles but he was good.

I have fond memories of SCTV, though there was some crazy talent on that show. He was also terrific as the dad on Freaks and Geeks.