US Politics: Hell Yes THEY Were Trying to Overthrow the Government

Zorral

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Thank goodness enough people are more savvy than that in Ohio.

Typically low information voters choose No on ballot initiatives they don't understand.  It's something of a status quo bias.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Typically low information voters choose No on ballot initiatives they don't understand.  It's something of a status quo bias.

Not sure this is relevant here, since this was a special election where you had to be sufficiently motivated to go out and vote for just that ballot initiative and nothing else. Low information voters simply stayed home.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Her head had been sufficiently confused by the presentation of the issue that she'd been inclined to vote Yes, had she decided to though. This Ohiospecial election was a weird, weird thing...

Happy Ohio voted no on issue 1. It should clear the way to restoring abortion access. I won't lie though. I wish they had waited a year for the ballot initiative. It could have had a large political impact in 2024.  Also too bad they couldn't get on their game in 2022 for the same reason.

I guess Captain Planet is helping the bad guys these days.

Florida schools ‘hijacked by the left’ turn to anti-climate cartoons
Florida’s Department of Education approves classroom use of videos produced by a conservative group that denies climate change.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/in-desantis-florida-schools-get-ok-for-climate-denial-videos-ee-00109466

Wind and solar power pollute the Earth and make life miserable. Recent global and local heat records reflect natural temperature cycles. And people who champion those beliefs are fighting oppression.

These are some of the themes of children’s videos produced by an influential conservative advocacy group. Now, the videos could soon be used in Florida’s classrooms.

Florida’s Department of Education has approved the classroom use of material from the Prager University Foundation, which produces videos education experts say distort science, history, gender and other topics. And those researchers fear that the nation’s third-largest state has opened a door that will help spread the videos to classrooms in other states.

Florida is the first state to allow PragerU materials in public schools, where teachers will have the option of showing the five- to 10-minute videos in their classrooms.

PragerU CEO Marissa Streit says the videos will rebalance schools that have been “hijacked by the left.”

“Young kids are being taught climate hysteria,” Streit said in an interview. “They’re hearing that the world is coming to an end, and we think that there needs to be a healthy balance.

54 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I guess Captain Planet is helping the bad guys these days.

Florida schools ‘hijacked by the left’ turn to anti-climate cartoons
Florida’s Department of Education approves classroom use of videos produced by a conservative group that denies climate change.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/in-desantis-florida-schools-get-ok-for-climate-denial-videos-ee-00109466

Florida schools are busy these days… 

They are also conducting a cleansing of Shakespeare’s sexual innuendos and what not. Because the Bard is too much. I cannot express how silly I think these people are.

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4144479-florida-county-to-teach-shakespeare-in-excerpts-only-under-new-state-rules/amp/

edit: and by people above I mean the ones who created this situation. Just clarifying. The school staff clearly is trying its best to follow the law strictly so they don’t run afoul of it.

Edited by TormundsWoman

Courts
Clarence Thomas’ 38 Vacations: The Other Billionaires Who Have Treated the Supreme Court Justice to Luxury Travel

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-other-billionaires-sokol-huizenga-novelly-supreme-court

Perhaps even more significant, the pattern exposes consistent violations of judicial norms, experts, including seven current and former federal judges appointed by both parties, told ProPublica. “In my career I don’t remember ever seeing this degree of largesse given to anybody,” said Jeremy Fogel, a former federal judge who served for years on the judicial committee that reviews judges’ financial disclosures. “I think it’s unprecedented.”

In the midst of the 2007-2009 Financial crisis, the city council of Scottsdale, AZ began whoring out the downtown and permitting all kinds of zoning variances across the city so that we now have a "nightlife" that regularly fills the local police blotters with exactly the type of behavior you would expect from rows of bars.

Recently the Arizona Republic finally got ahold of the police body camera footage of Boris Epshteyn's second arrest after midnight in Old Town in six years.  His first Arizona arrest was in 2014, and this second was in 2021.

Trump adviser Boris Epshteyn groped 2 women in Scottsdale, one says (azcentral.com)

It is probably time to go down to a city council meeting and take my three minutes' of speaking time to once again point out that if they continue to permit these attractive nuisances to operate in Old Town, they are going to continue to attract trashy behavior from trashy people.  From Trump's people, it is quite clearly monkey see, monkey do.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In the midst of the 2007-2009 Financial crisis, the city council of Scottsdale, AZ began whoring out the downtown and permitting all kinds of zoning variances across the city so that we now have a "nightlife" that regularly fills the local police blotters with exactly the type of behavior you would expect from rows of bars.

Recently the Arizona Republic finally got ahold of the police body camera footage of Boris Epshteyn's second arrest after midnight in Old Town in six years.  His first Arizona arrest was in 2014, and this second was in 2021.

Trump adviser Boris Epshteyn groped 2 women in Scottsdale, one says (azcentral.com)

It is probably time to go down to a city council meeting and take my three minutes' of speaking time to once again point out that if they continue to permit these attractive nuisances to operate in Old Town, they are going to continue to attract trashy behavior from trashy people.  From Trump's people, it is quite clearly monkey see, monkey do.

On and on it seems to go that you don't know what you got until it's gone. They took Old Town and turned it into Florida.

55 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On and on it seems to go that you don't know what you got until it's gone. They took Old Town and turned it into Florida.

Then the next phase of Old Town will be the one from Sin City. Florida can only dream. 

18 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

They are also conducting a cleansing of Shakespeare’s sexual innuendos and what not. Because the Bard is too much. I cannot express how silly I think these people are.

This is honestly morally consistent and the logical follow through of their rhetoric.

A lot of these people would like a return a middle age sense of ethics.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Everyone's favorite Democrat is at it again:

The West Virginia senator Joe Manchin is “thinking seriously” about abandoning the Democratic party to run as an independent for Congress or as a third-party candidate for president.

In West Virginia, Manchin is a long way behind the current Republican governor, Jim Justice – himself a former Democrat – in polling regarding the Senate race next year.

Well, it makes more sense now. If he needs to run as in independent and win, and sometimes caucus with the D's, then that may be the best option.

Manchin as a moderate independent for president doesn't scare me about Biden's chances.  Everyone in America likes to say they are independent but almost no one behaves as an independent. I can't imagine a more boring candidacy.  He's more sleep inducing than Biden. Won't get much traction

Cornel West for the greens however is a different story. That guy is exciting. Just pencil in Trump as the victor if West runs.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It is probably time to go down to a city council meeting and take my three minutes' of speaking time to once again point out that if they continue to permit these attractive nuisances to operate in Old Town, they are going to continue to attract trashy behavior from trashy people.

Sorry, but this reminds me of Footloose, and not in a good way.

I get that you hate nightlife, but don't you have the option of just... not going there?

5 hours ago, Gorn said:

Sorry, but this reminds me of Footloose, and not in a good way.

I get that you hate nightlife, but don't you have the option of just... not going there?

When he posted it originally, I was thinking an urban hellscape of strip clubs, weed shops, pawn shops, and dive bars.  Checking google, it looks like quite a fun area for nightlife.  Of course there are going to be late night incidents, but it kinda helps make a more condensed and contained area to police.  I'm sure the Hell's Angles regularly hit up the wine tasting bars and Buca di Bepo. 

12 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Nope because West doesn't get any votes or nope because of another reason?

I think he's more dynamic than either Jill Stein or Ralph Nader.   I bet he gets more votes in key states the either of those two. 

Full disclosure: My dumb ass voted for Nader in 2000.

Don't feel bad, more registered Dems voted for Bush than for Nader