Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

Rewatched Tron: Legacy the other day...it's still enjoyable to me, though such a missed opportunity fora proper movieverse...and regardless of how bad, or good, you may think the de-aging of Keff Bridges was, remembering they were doing that about 13 years ago and the technology doesn't seem to have gotten that much better...

That Jared Leto is behind the next movie, if it ever gets done, does not fill me with joy though...

Finished Justified City Primeval today.  The show was better after about Ep3 but never came close to the original series.   Thoughts about the ending

Spoiler

So did Raylan decide to retire since he killed an unarmed man? Probably not, most likely he was just tired of it all.  I don't think I like them showing Boyd escaping at the end. I assume that was there so that if this season did well they could maybe do a stand alone season of Boyd on the run and/or Raylan suiting up one last time. More likely a Boyd stand alone season. 

Thinking they were better off leaving this character/series alone. It had a great ending years ago and this just tarnished it a little.

I watched Bullet Train, which largely felt like a mediocre Guy Ritchie film. It does have a few amusing scenes, but I think they could have done a lot more with the cast they had. The plot is convoluted without being interested and some of the bullet train CGI in the ending is comically bad.

Justified: City Primeval, final episode . . .  

Spoiler

concludes, with what Raylan thinks is another shoot-out, in which he’s still the fastest gun going, but super boring villain Clement was reaching for his super boring cassette of himself being a rock star.  Then it concludes with Raylan retiring from the U.S. Marshalls, painting his house, getting closer to his daughter.  Then it concludes with Boyd escaping prison and Raylan just dying to pick up that fone ringing him with the news.

So, another season? But the moment we’re back in Kentucky and with Boyd, even in prison, and then on the roads – the whole thing just sings visually and cinematically in the way nothing in this season has before. So much so that for a bit I thought Hulu FX had just tipped me into the first episode of the first season of Justified.  Though I knew that wasn't how it opened.  That's how much better it all looked. and how much zing there was in those couple of minutes,  than that murky mess of Primeval did.

So, today, up on Netflix, One Piece.  WaPo provided a gift link to their flog-puff article on it for some (paid for?) reason.  Speculation because WaPo doesn't generally do fluffers.

https://wapo.st/3PiD1QD

While WaPo's piece is a fluffer, the NYT's is a review. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/31/arts/television/one-piece-review-netflix.html

... That reshaping — the eight episodes correspond to roughly the first 45 episodes of the anime — was surely a major effort, and it would be understandable if there wasn’t a lot of time or energy left over for actually reimagining the material for live actors and constructed sets. The show’s developers and showrunners, Matt Owens and Steven Maeda, were able to wrestle the story to a draw. But they don’t capture the corny, goofy spirit of the anime, and without that the generalities about living your dream and making way for a new generation just sit there gathering dust.

The fates of “One Piece” and “Cowboy Bebop” are, perhaps, a likely consequence of big-box streaming. Taking a show that has found a fanatical following and remaking it with the widest possible audience in mind means making it for no particular viewer at all.

Edited by Zorral

Watched Renfield earlier tonight and thought it was great.  Solid 8 out of 10 movie.  Cage was absolutely fantastic, and Hoult and Awkwafina were good as well.  Feels like it could have been a bit longer.  The movie was an hour and a half and the crime family subplot was a little half-baked.  I love Shohreh Aghdashloo, but her character was under-utilized and ultimately kind of pointless.  If you're bringing in someone like her, give her more to do.

All in all, though, I really enjoyed Renfield.  It's a perfect movie to watch after smoking a bowl, which was exactly what I was in the mood for tonight.  It's dumb fun, but really well made.

Adult Swim has the Venture Bros. movie on last night. It was...fine...if you hadn't watched the show and went in cold it would have made zero sense, particularly as they sought to get just about every character into at least a scene...mind you, I've watched the show and I was still struggling to follow all of the story. That there was an A and B plot working that eventually blended together felt...eh...

But they left things open enough to do more...

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Adult Swim has the Venture Bros. movie on last night. It was...fine...if you hadn't watched the show and went in cold it would have made zero sense, particularly as they sought to get just about every character into at least a scene...mind you, I've watched the show and I was still struggling to follow all of the story. That there was an A and B plot working that eventually blended together felt...eh...

But they left things open enough to do more...

I’ve been working my way through the whole series and I remember now why I never made it past season 4 in the past The point at which they try and change it up and Brock leaves etc is a brave and interesting move, but it also is a significant drop in how much I enjoy each episode. 

Have returned to the 90's via the medium of Beavis and Butthead. I really felt like there were more music videos in the show when I used to watch it. I wanted to rewatch as I'm reliving my youth via a podcast called 60 songs that explain the 90s and it gave me this massive craving for B&B. I'm enjoying it but I really want more commentary on 90s bands please.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’ve been working my way through the whole series and I remember now why I never made it past season 4 in the past The point at which they try and change it up and Brock leaves etc is a brave and interesting move, but it also is a significant drop in how much I enjoy each episode. 

I don't know that the quality dipped, for me. Where I struggle sometimes, I the extrem layering of back story and world building that the show did, but then the long breaks...it wasn't always easy to remember everything.  I love layered and well built storyworlds...but they didn’t make it easy...

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Have returned to the 90's via the medium of Beavis and Butthead. I really felt like there were more music videos in the show when I used to watch it. I wanted to rewatch as I'm reliving my youth via a podcast called 60 songs that explain the 90s and it gave me this massive craving for B&B. I'm enjoying it but I really want more commentary on 90s bands please.

Lol, I remember watching B&B as a kid in the 90's. My parents thought The Simpsons was too much for me. If they only knew.

Did you ever check out the new movie? It's just as good as B&B Do America. 

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't know that the quality dipped, for me. Where I struggle sometimes, I the extrem layering of back story and world building that the show did, but then the long breaks...it wasn't always easy to remember everything.  I love layered and well built storyworlds...but they didn’t make it easy...

They definitely throw you in the deep end in season 4, really don't make it easy to understand what the hell is going on. There is a lot of call backs and winks and nods to superfans. It's not quite so funny, and the Sargent Hatred paedophilia plotline is really treading a fine line! I do love Venture Bros but it definitely feels a bit different from that point.

Blocked from doing any of the necessary, scheduled things yesterday afternoon, somehow I ended up watching the first four episodes of One Piece. As I couldn't do anything productive, and couldn't settle on either studying or writing because of constant interruption I thought I'd just take a look at One Piece, knowing nothing of it, but the reviews that showed up suddenly around Wednesday last week -- most of which seemed dismissive at best.

Evidently One Piece is exactly what my stoopid brain and heart need right now.  It has so much of the charm that Princess Bride has, including not taking itself too seriously, never screaming look at what we did there!  The stated goals of the chief protagonist is to be good, not evil -- a "different kind of pirate."   It's great fun to look at, it's pacey, never bogs down in any one thing or any single character -- but never feels rushed, but like a summer's day by the beach when you are a gloriously free from everything kid for a while, just moving seamlessly non-introspectively from one good time to the next.

The likeability and interest of Iñaki Godoy as the lead hero, Luffy, increases as the four episodes progress. Roronoa Zoro, played by Mackenyu Arata, is a graceful, Romantic, sexy hero-warrior -- one can fall in love immediately.  Emily Rudd as Nami, the prickly but not manic pixie girl thief, is equally charismatic.

There is only thing I haven't liked in the first four episodes and that is one of the bad pirates is a clown -- too much Batman Joker here, and I hate clowns generally.  But that's me, not everybody else.

As I have no tastes at all for anime-mange-cartoons-comix, etc. I'm really glad this is a live action.  The bits of the anime, and the manga books that illustrated those reviews I saw, as per usual, came through as most unattractive to my vision.  But the live action characters work for me. :dunno:

We've watched the first four of One Piece too and thoroughly enjoy it. Definitely a turn off the brain and go with it kind of show and I love that.

We're also watching Dark Winds. Been itching to see this for awhile. Main dude is a star, glad he's getting a vehicle to show that. Thoroughly enjoying this one too.