Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

On 9/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Yeah, I don't think this is a reasonable take at all. Winstead has great range and in particular can do fucking angry as hell when she wants to. I think that's just directorial shittiness and bad writing there too. That she's not being given anything interesting to do or engage with doesn't help things either, mind you, but it's very telling that the most "Hera" we've seen her was chasing after the not-Sith's ship and having quick, witty dialog with...Chopper.

You can be a great actor and still be wrong for a role.  And I think that’s the case here, she just hasn’t been able to capture Hera.  

I’ve seen enough of Rosario as Ashoka to know that she’s right for the role, and I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen of Natasha Bordizzo as Sabine.  Winstead is just playing the part too perky, wide eyed (the green contact lenses may be a part of that), meek, etc.  

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Anakin's redemption has always been freakin weird. He seemingly finds eternal peaceful life within the Force by the end of Jedi, as is all the atrocities be committed or helped to commit counted for nothing. Aside from slaughtering the younglings he's committed genocide in the name of the Empire, helped build a planet destroying weapon, and has caused the deaths of billions of lives. 

Lucas had this to say (from The Making of Revenge of the Sith):

It really has to do with learning. Children teach you compassion. They teach you to love unconditionally. Anakin can't be redeemed for all the pain and suffering he's caused. He doesn't right the wrongs, but he stops the horror. The end of the Saga is simply Anakin saying, 'I care about this person, regardless of what it means to me. I will throw away everything that I have, everything that I have grown to love -- primarily the Emperor -- and throw away my life, to save this person. And I'm doing this because he has faith in me, loves me despite all the horrible things I've done. I broke his mother's heart, but he still cares about me, and I can't let that die.'

Anakin is very different in the end. The thing of it: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the Chosen One, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Lucas had this to say (from The Making of Revenge of the Sith):

Lucas himself says he can’t be redeemed, I’m not sure Anakin deserved a force ghost. Or maybe if his ghost had been off separate from Yoda and Obi Wan, back in the trees somewhere, looking on but not accepted back into the fold, it might’ve been more poignant.

I don't think Force Ghosts means that you're redeemed or even good. It means that you were critical to the Force AND you had enough power and ability to become a ghost the way that Qui-Gonn and Yoda could. It's not redemption, it's not heaven. It's just a force power. And Anakin absolutely was a crucial person in the Force. 

That said, as a force ghost having to hang out with Anakin when you're Yoda would be really, really shitty. Imagine spending all eternity with that asshole. 

35 minutes ago, Ran said:

An idea that Lucas had approved of, years earlier, though.

It was handled way better in the EU though. Also, Lucas only considered the movies to be canon, and he never wanted Palpatine to return in the films. He told Ian McDiarmid that he’s permanently dead and ain’t returning. 

Is it so far out of line for Vader to receive a deathbed redemption?  Anakin was already the subject of a virgin birth.  His death brought balance to the force/redemption of sins for the galaxy.  We can argue faith and spirituality in another setting than this thread, but the fact is that nearly 1/3 of our planet identify as Christian.  Which teaches fundamentally that there is no sin too grievous for which to seek redemption if you accept salvation.

Why should we have such difficulty accepting his redemption from a story standpoint when a significant minority of our own population believe in the principle?

Edited by Rhom

1 hour ago, Ran said:

An idea that Lucas had approved of, years earlier, though.

Please don’t attempt to justify Abrams shitty story choices.  The man is a hack who appears to lack the ability to think of anything that doesn’t hinge upon nostalgia.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Please don’t attempt to justify Abrams shitty story choices.  The man is a hack who appears to lack the ability to think of anything that doesn’t hinge upon nostalgia.

I actually think I prefer Michael bay over JJ. At least he has a fairly terrible but original vision.

2 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

That said, as a force ghost having to hang out with Anakin when you're Yoda would be really, really shitty. Imagine spending all eternity with that asshole. 

'Force ghost you are, yes. But grant you the rank of Jedi Master, we do not.'

As is the way of things, people whinged when they didn't bother de-aging Christensen in his appearances in Obi-Wan, and now they're whinging because they have de-aged him for his appearances in Ahsoka.

Although, to be fair, it feels like they could have flipped those decisions. No reason a Force Ghost needs to stay constantly young (he wore it well, but Obi-Wan is definitely looking older in Jedi than in Hope, despite being dead in the interim), and Anakin-Vader was 45 when he died, or three years older than Christensen is now. If Force Ghosts age, he'd be ~52 by the time of Ahsoka.

Edited by Werthead

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

As is the way of things, people whinged when they didn't bother de-aging Christensen in his appearances in Obi-Wan, and now they're whinging because they have de-aged him for his appearances in Ahsoka.

Although, to be fair, it feels like they could have flipped those decisions. No reason a Force Ghost needs to stay constantly young (he wore it well, but Obi-Wan is definitely looking older in Jedi than in Hope, despite being dead in the interim), and Anakin-Vader was 45 when he died, or three years older than Christensen is now. If Force Ghosts age, he'd be ~52 by the time of Ahsoka.

I watched much of Rebels, but not the last season.  So I'm not familiar with the workings of the world between worlds.  Is Anakin a "force ghost" there?  Or some multiversal variant?  What am I looking at here?

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Please don’t attempt to justify Abrams shitty story choices.  

Just saying. The Emperor returning through Sith magic and clones was not a problem for me, and it wasn't for Lucas either when he okayed Veitch's Dark Empire storyline!

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Just saying. The Emperor returning through Sith magic and clones was not a problem for me, and it wasn't for Lucas either when he okayed Veitch's Dark Empire storyline!

Agreed.  It wasn't the idea that was terrible, it was the execution.  And the fact that it wasn't planned for or hinted at from the beginning of TFA.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I watched much of Rebels, but not the last season.  So I'm not familiar with the workings of the world between worlds.  Is Anakin a "force ghost" there?  Or some multiversal variant?  What am I looking at here?

I'm assuming he's a Force Ghost but the Way Between the Worlds has funky rules which may allow him to manifest there more solidly.

The other possibility, because time does not exist there, is that Anakin found his way into the Way when he was still a young man and is meeting (from his perspective) Future Ahsoka from long after his personal fall. That might explain why they had to de-age him.