Marvel: The Echo of Profitability

Rhom

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Welp, that radar is definitely flawed then.  Never made time to go see the Barbenheimer sensation last summer.  :dunno: 

So anyways, point stands for the first part.  

I'd say you're missing out. 

I mean, possibly. I realize I'm in a Marvel thread here, so perhaps the draw of those movies may not necessarily appeal to some of the Marvel audience. 

Neither of those movies are copy and paste, the characters actually make sense, and no one punches their way to a moral victory.

I know, I know. I've had my fun tweaking the bulbous, warty nose of Marvel and will leave it at that. Carry on.

That’s the thing though… RDJ had no career to speak of when he signed on to Ironman.

Career and talent aren't the same thing. RDJ had his struggles,  the dude went to prison.

I wasn't surprised at all by his talent though as I experienced his acting many years ago on Ally McBeal. He played one of her boyfriends and completely stole the show. He's a hugely talented actor, and struggled with drug addiction. Both things are true.

As far as I can tell RDJ had been a guy Hollywood had been pushing towards stardom since like the 80s or early 90s. He just kept getting in his own way. Sure, picking him right then was a gamble because he was only a few years removed from a series of very public crises, but he didn't come out of nowhere or anything. 

18 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Ebon Moss-Bachrach is also Richard in The Bear and he is fantastic there.

Much like Alfre Woodward, this is his second role in the MCU after appearing in the Punisher Season 1. Weird to think how much of a flap we all got in about Woodward but no one seems to care now (although I guess this may not be in the sacred timeline).

Having now watched The Marvels...I enjoyed it.  I think it was better than the first Captain Marvel movie.  Certainly I believe it'll be much more re-watchable when it eventually lands on TNT or the like...

Oh it isn't perfect. But it blended the humor and seriousness in a manner that hasn't been seen since Thor Ragnarock.  I'd also say that it suffers from a Marvel TImeline Identity Crisis.  It used elements of past movies (the jump gates of Guardians and such). The bones of the scientific side of the whole Multiverse story is there...and if you'd not seen Secret Wars, then things do move right along without missing a beat...Just so many pieces and elements crammed into a timeline that seemed rushed, but would have suffered more if it had gone another 20 minutes...

If anything, it's a movie that essentially boils down the entire phase's issues: That it needed a bit more cohesion in what it wanted.  I actually like the idea of taking the story towards Secret Wars, but the Infinity Saga benefited from its pieces not deliberately trying to connect quite so tightly.  Each area told it's piece and then it all made more general sense by Infinity War...

I absolutely love the very end with Kamala trying to emulate Fury at the end of the original Iron Man movie...I'd actually somehow missed a spoiler on that ending cameo...

On 2/15/2024 at 12:59 PM, polishgenius said:

As far as I can tell RDJ had been a guy Hollywood had been pushing towards stardom since like the 80s or early 90s. He just kept getting in his own way. Sure, picking him right then was a gamble because he was only a few years removed from a series of very public crises, but he didn't come out of nowhere or anything. 

Except "they" didn't pick him. Favreau picked him; and had to fight like hell to keep him. 

From a commercial perspective: probably the most important casting decision in the history of Hollywood; and they came that close to getting it wrong. 

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Except "they" didn't pick him. Favreau picked him; and had to fight like hell to keep him. 

I'm not sure how that contradicts him being pushed as a rising star for years before his fuckups got too much? 

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not sure how that contradicts him being pushed as a rising star for years before his fuckups got too much? 

Actually, for a while, Hollywood wanted nothing to do with him. He was on a downward spiral of daily indulgences of alcohol and drugs. He was even arrested in 1999. He choose to get himself clean. After cleaning up, one of the movies he was in was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is an R rated film, with a very fun tone to it. Jon Favreau loved that film and fought to get RDJ into Iron Man and the studio wasn't convinced until they saw his amazing screen tests as Tony Stark.

Truth be told, RDJ has one of the most amazing comeback stories in Hollywood history and might be considered perfect casting, for a hero in a redemption arc. Even Kevin Feige has recently mentioned that casting RDJ was possibly the biggest risk his company has ever made.

Edited by sifth

5 minutes ago, sifth said:

Even Kevin Feige has recently mentioned that casting RDJ was possibly the biggest Risk his company has ever made.

That sounds a little overblown to me. RDJ was always a massive talent even when his career was on a downward curve. He was also a  recognisable name. I’d say it was a little risk,  but in comparison to launching the movie at all.

Marvel have since handed the reigns of movies to a bunch of directors with a handful of small movies to their name, I’d say those were far greater risks, many of which have completely backfired.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That sounds a little overblown to me. RDJ was always a massive talent even when his career was on a downward curve. He was also a  recognisable name. I’d say it was a little risk,  but in comparison to launching the movie at all.

Marvel have since handed the reigns of movies to a bunch of directors with a handful of small movies to their name, I’d say those were far greater risks, many of which have completely backfired.

None of those failures have sunk the studio, though. At the time, Marvel Studios was small and not doing well financially. If Iron Man had flopped, it might have been game over for them. 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

None of those failures have sunk the studio, though. At the time, Marvel Studios was small and not doing well financially. If Iron Man had flopped, it might have been game over for them. 

Sure, I’m just not sure the big risk was RDJ. What was the risk there? That people wouldn’t go and watch him because he’s not famous? Star power was always massively overrated and only a handful of actors could actually sell movies by themselves. It was no more a risk than letting Jon Faverau make the movie or making it at all.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Sure, I’m just not sure the big risk was RDJ. What was the risk there? That people wouldn’t go and watch him because he’s not famous? Star power was always massively overrated and only a handful of actors could actually sell movies by themselves. It was no more a risk than letting Jon Faverau make the movie or making it at all.

If he had a long history of drug abuse and addiction the risk would be that mid-way through production he dies of an overdose, goes to jail, or something that forces millions of dollars in reshoots.

I agree with HOI that casting RDJ as a "huge risk" strikes me as a bit of myth-making, or at least post-hoc exaggeration.  As Corvinus mentioned the entire film was a huge risk for the studio, so might as well go all out.  Favreau has even said they approached the production like an independent film.  In this vein, it makes sense that Favreau and Fiege went to bat for his casting when the executives had reservations.

All of that is fundamentally different that one of the largest corporations in the world being reflexively risk-averse on the casting in major projects.