Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I've always heard good things about Galaxy Quest, just never got around to seeing it. And based on the pics Weaver has probably never looked better. 

Alan Rickman is great as the Spock/Nimoy analog.  As for Weaver, this along with Heartbreakers was certainly something of a..ahem, resurgence.

I have fond memories of Eyes Wide Shut, as I saw it in a nearly empty theater with my very horny college girlfriend. Just a great time. Minus Nicole Kidman being impossibly gorgeous and copious skin causing near public indecency, I did enjoy the very creepy soundtrack. Tom Cruise was insufferable, as I recall. I tried re-watching it years ago and found it really dull minus the constant titillation. 

And yeah definitely check out Galaxy Quest. It's a parody, sure, but is legitimately a solid sci-fi movie with some great action scenes and peak Rickman.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Alan Rickman is great as the Spock/Nimoy analog.  As for Weaver, this along with Heartbreakers was certainly something of a..ahem, resurgence.

I'm not sure if I've seen Heartbreakers. 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I watched episode 6 of Reacher. It was kind of boring. I still have seven to watch, but it's beginning to feel a bit like a chore.

This season really is inferior in all ways to the first season.  Even the actor playing Reacher isn't as good this time around, which seems weird, unless, well the material they have all been given?

7 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I have fond memories of Eyes Wide Shut, as I saw it in a nearly empty theater with my very horny college girlfriend. Just a great time. Minus Nicole Kidman being impossibly gorgeous and copious skin causing near public indecency, 

I had sex with my college sweetheart in a nearly empty theater. For the life of me I cannot remember what we went to see.

I still have to laugh more though when my buddy and I went to go see Strange Wilderness. Awful movie, but we were the only two people in the theater. We smoked so much weed in there we damn near hot boxed the entire thing. 

27 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

And yeah definitely check out Galaxy Quest. It's a parody, sure, but is legitimately a solid sci-fi movie with some great action scenes and peak Rickman.

I remember a few years ago there was a poll of the best Star Trek movies and Galaxy Quest came third.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

I had sex with my college sweetheart in a nearly empty theater. For the life of me I cannot remember what we went to see.

I still have to laugh more though when my buddy and I went to go see Strange Wilderness. Awful movie, but we were the only two people in the theater. We smoked so much weed in there we damn near hot boxed the entire thing. 

Other than getting the Bobert treatment during the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut, easily my favorite empty theater experience was a daytime viewing of Drive Angry 3D with my brother and two six packs. He accidentally kicked over our empties while we were roaring with laughter and cheering (that movie's fucking awesome for a drinking movie). The only other people in the theater were a couple who were clearly agitated by our hooliganism, especially when 8 or so glass bottles rattled and rolled extremely loudly down the theater floor. Sorry, random Iowan couple.

11 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Other than getting the Bobert treatment during the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut, easily my favorite empty theater experience was a daytime viewing of Drive Angry 3D with my brother and two six packs. He accidentally kicked over our empties while we were roaring with laughter and cheering (that movie's fucking awesome for a drinking movie). The only other people in the theater were a couple who were clearly agitated by our hooliganism, especially when 8 or so glass bottles rattled and rolled extremely loudly down the theater floor. Sorry, random Iowan couple.

I think my worst transgression was smoking a blunt in a packed theater with a few friends during Spiderman 3 on opening night. The movie sucked, but it made the dancing scene that much better.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

For All Mankind finished it's 4th, and possibly penultimate, season (IIRC, they have said they were aiming for five years). It's much better than the 3rd season, despite its flaws.

A quick google says 6 or 7 seasons.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So.... no True Detective thread that gets 20 pages by morning this time around? 

We’ve really fallen off as a group. :dunno:

I rewatched The Thing a few weeks ago. I’m always in awe of the scene when they put the infected dog into the kennel with the other dogs. Like the animal acting in it is so good. Apparently that one dog was a wolf-dog hybrid, when all the other ones were Siberian Huskies. So they were naturally on edge and just wanted to avoid it. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Was it any good?

Yes.

So far no philosophy nerd nihilist monologues though.

Spoiler

I'm wondering if there is some connection with season 1.  Rust Cohle's father is named Travis and is from Alaska.  There are obvious nods to season 1 in the show.  Season 4 Travis is dead... but appearing either as a ghost or hallucination.  Could this be Rust's dad?  Depends on how long ago Travis died.

Edited by SpaceChampion

The first episode of True Detective's return I found fairly frustrating, as it just threw a _lot _of different plot threads out all at once, leaving it feeling pretty scatter-shot. Would not have minded if they parceled some things out into other episodes to introduce (for example, Danvers and her relationship with Leah) rather than packing it all into this episode. I guess they feel they have to, I suppose.

Eyes wide shit is one of the worst films i've ever seen, it just ends with no resolution, i thought my DVD was fucked.  

Best empty cinema experience was running up the aisle during the training montage during a rocky film, can't remember which one.  

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

it just ends with no resolution

What part of Nicole Kidman saying the last lines of the film, "And you know, there is something very important that we need to do as soon as possible: fuck", in a film that is a fantasy meditating on marriage and infidelity, does not sound like resolution to you?

Edited by Ran