Watch, Watched, Watching: It's Award Season

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Atleast I didn’t fall asleep watching it unlike Andor….

Your force of will is strong then because again, my cuz worked on that piece of shit and I couldn't watch more than 15-20 minutes of it at a time. It's so bad. I didn't like the first Dune installment, but get why fans of the books did and why they're excited for part two. Are five people saying they want Rebel Moon part 2? 

3 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Sorry Guys just saw it and I actually enjoyed Rebel Moon as a guilty pleasure, it was much better than say Napoleon…sorry :ph34r:

A friend of mine suggested watching Rebel Moon, so a few of us got together and played it. We cut it out around halfway point, since all four of us found it mind numbingly stupid. I must admit that I did finish it on my own, because after Fight Club I need to finish every movie I started, just in case. It took me three attempts total to get to the end.

It's such a shockingly unoriginal Magnificent Seven - Star Wars crossover that I'm shocked Lucas Films have not filed a lawsuit a long time ago.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Your force of will is strong then because again, my cuz worked on that piece of shit and I couldn't watch more than 15-20 minutes of it at a time. It's so bad. I didn't like the first Dune installment, but get why fans of the books did and why they're excited for part two. Are five people saying they want Rebel Moon part 2? 

I'm strangely not very excited for Dune pt2, but at a very basic level you'd think everyone who watched it could appreciate the sheer technical craft and underlying quality of it's production.

I think everyone outside of one person watching Rebel Moon would appreciate it feels like it was written by an AI that was malfunctioning and directed by a kid in his basement using the most basic visual tools. 

On that note, I wonder if in 5-10 years time they will be a number of whistleblowers coming out and revealing that in the last couple of years, AI has been used extensively in writing a number of movies. Thats just how generically bad some of them are.

I thought the scene where the mothership dude comes to the village to ask about supplies was quite well done and tense , reminded me of the inglorious basterds opening…i found a lot of things to be well crafted in Rebel Moon and the plot kept me wanting to watch it, even if it was wasn’t original :dunno:

it was as good as his vegas zombie movie tbh, a casual one time watch.  A good make out/ airplane movie. I’m not saying it’s a fucking masterpiece like the LOTR or SW OT trilogy. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

On that note, I wonder if in 5-10 years time they will be a number of whistleblowers coming out and revealing that in the last couple of years, AI has been used extensively in writing a number of movies. Thats just how generically bad some of them are.

Well, if a lot of the current output is the best AI can do we don't even need John Connor.

Also, to whom would the blowers be whistling on exactly?  Screenwriters taking credit for AI generated content?  That seems kinda inverted to the actual issue right now - i.e. OpenAI using copyrighted content without attribution nor permission.

ETA:  Obligatory - 

Edited by DMC

1 minute ago, DMC said:

OpenAI using copyrighted content without attribution nor permission.

Well you could make a claim that OpenAI took the script of Star Wars and vomited out Rebel Moon. 

I'm wondering if we'll find out that studios have tried to cut out screenwriters altogether, and introduce a script supervisor role whose job it is to proof read AI screenplays and tinker with them till they seem a bit more organic, especially during the recent strikes. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I'm wondering if we'll find out that studios have tried to cut out screenwriters altogether, and introduce a script supervisor role whose job it is to proof read AI screenplays and tinker with them till they seem a bit more organic, especially during the recent strikes. 

Definitely seems we're headed that way.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it's common AI writes the rough draft. But sometimes you wonder if anyone edited it. I've said before I'm trying to get into writing, but my ability to create good dialogue sucks. And yet I watch so many films where their scripts are even worse. 

31 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Apropos of nothing, a quote from a recent Cory Doctorow blog post:

That's the true cost of all the automation-driven unemployment criti-hype: while we're nowhere near a place where bots can steal your job, we're certainly at the point where your boss can be suckered into firing you and replacing you with a bot that fails at doing your job.

Death and Other Details (2024) seems not to have won reviewers, frequently comparing it with the Knives Out/Glass Onion sort of series / films -- which they disliked muchly as well, which I enjoyed muchly as my sort of mindless diversion.  They may well be right in their assessments.  I do know that attractive, recognizable actors, wearing beautiful clothes on a luxury cruise in the sunshine of the Mediterranean, is exactly what my eyeballs need this month.  The first two eps went up yesterday on Acorn-AMC.

Monsieur Spade is also lovely to look at, a period piece of the 1950's and 1960's, with good actors and wonderful locations. I wish I was able to binge it, but was only provided the first episode.  But presumably it's superior fare to Death and Other Details.  I don't care.  Want all of them right now when it is so cold.

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Rewatching Galaxy Quest. First time in a long time. 

Galaxy Quest turns 25 this year. Twenty five

Go watch Galaxy Quest. 

The "Ty and That Guy" podcast episode about Galaxy Quest is great look at it.

On 1/16/2024 at 12:51 AM, williamjm said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Also, apparently you can fly a helicopter around New York City and shoot at things and nobody apparently cares.

Despite the silliness, I am still enjoying the show.

For me it goes back and forth. I just finished episode 7 last night and for some reason I thought that was better than what came before (a lot better than 6 actually) or at least more enjoyable

Spoiler

I think the Russo character was very grating. The number of crooked cops in this beggars belief and then to contrast that with Saint Russo, seemed odd. So, taking him out and focussing on the aftermath was a good pallet cleanser.

I also liked the fact that we mentioned Roscoe again. Just as with Finlay's appearance, I had all the memberberries coming in and reminding me about how much I liked the previous season.

Certainly, the 7th episode had the first original kill in a while

Spoiler

Bone saw guy was pretty well done. I feel like the fights have been pretty "meh" so far, competent but without passion. The scene with the bone saw was the first time that I felt some creativity leaking in.

Another thing that keeps bothering me, even though this episode was more enjoyable

Spoiler

Why the fuck are the villains doing this for a measly 65 million USD? I understand that ethics should be taken out of consideration here (if they had a good grasp on that, they'd never even start this venture), but are these people not capable of basic risk assessment?

Imagine stealing 650 surface-to-air missiles from Uncle Sam, which will probably be used in a spate of 9/11 like attacks. In what universe will these people get away from the full wrath of American power? They might have a couple of months at most to prancy about with this new cash before they end up in a dark prison cell for life (unless they are caught somewhere where they can get the needle).

And they are risking all of that, not for 65 million USD, no, they are doing that for a share of 65 million USD. I don't know how big the outfit is, but given the number of people Reacher has been grinding to pulp, I can't imagine their shares being bigger than let's say 1/10th of the whole amount.

In other words, these villains are retarded.

On 1/12/2024 at 7:28 PM, williamjm said:

I watched The Boy and the Heron which I thought was good. It felt a bit darker and more reflective than most of Miyazaki's films although still with some lighter moments and I think in the end did have a hopeful message. The animation was, of course, gorgeous. Nobody seems to know for sure whether this time it will be Miyazaki's last film (I think it is his third 'final' film), but if it is then not a bad place to end.

Did you see a dubbed or a subtitled version?