US Politics: A democratic election Prospect Theory and practice

The point of Truth Social --

Trump has set up a perfect avenue for potential corruption
With Truth Social going public, big investors could easily buy influence in a second

https://www.vox.com/24120166/truth-social-stocks-trump-media-corruption

The right-wing scammers who paved the way for Trump
A new book shows how conservative grift started long before branded bibles and $400 sneakers.''

https://www.vox.com/policy/24122252/trump-sneakers-bible-truth-social-grift-scam-conservatives-history

Additionally, again, for those who remain puzzled why the Obscenely Rich invest in, donate to, and do so in every greater numbers -- Another of the Essential Points is, those tax cuts, cuts to regulation of every kinds, etc., FOR THEM.

Ya -- Since Not Obscenely Rich, You will pay taxes and what you have left on medical care -- if there is any where you live -- and the bugs that will be processed as 'food' for you, and have no tax cuts, while never getting even a little bit rich. while They Who Are Now Rich pay nothing now or ever.   Yea, let's have loads of empathy for the maligned rich, rahrahrah! 

Edited by Zorral

Lock 'im up!  Lock 'im up!

A new bill would rename the closest prison to Mar-a-Lago after the presumptive Republican nominee for president.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democratic-bill-renames-prison-after-trump_n_66103fd1e4b04fa39614990b

Tit for tat, presumably, as the fascists floated Dulles Airport be renamed . . . .

21 hours ago, karaddin said:

I saw this claim that Biden calls someone a f***** in this video which I'm pretty skeptical of. I can't quite make out what he says, but despite my opinion of him not being the highest - homophobic slurs are not what I expect from the man even ignoring the politics of it.

I'm inclined to assume that he's either saying something else that has a similar sound in the middle, or it's a deep fake. If it's actually real I'd be more inclined to it being another indicator of cognitive decline than sincere slip of homophobia. Anyone got a more concrete read on it?

I'm no lip reader, but I don't see an "f" at the start of the word he's saying from the way his mouth moved. Doesn't look like word starting with "m" either. So I have no clue what he's saying, but 95% sure it's not a word starting with f.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Hahaha!  The guard towers would be known as, Trump Tower 1, Trump Tower 2, Trump Tower 3,...ect; ect. 

You win the internets!  Thank you!

Also Dems can troll if they want to . . . .:D

On 4/6/2024 at 1:00 AM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why did you stay at Trump International if you knew it was going to piss you off???

Heh.  MPSA is always at Palmer House.  It was kinda cool the first couple times but the novelty has definitely worn off - this was the first time I went since covid so it’s been awhile.  Service there has definitely gone downhill.  Friday night at the lobby bar was the first times in my life I’ve given a zero dollar tip..At least intentionally.  Anyway, happy to be home — yes, in TAMPA, FLORIDA!!!

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Heh.  MPSA is always at Palmer House.  It was kinda cool the first couple times but the novelty has definitely worn off - this was the first time I went since covid so it’s been awhile.  Service there has definitely gone downhill.  Friday night at the lobby bar was the first times in my life I’ve given a zero dollar tip..At least intentionally.  Anyway, happy to be home — yes, in TAMPA, FLORIDA!!!

Well, that sucks. I love the Palmer House, but can't say I've been there in at least 5 or 6 years...and yeah, Covid truly helped the service industry understand how essential they are, yet how the system has been designed to screw them over and over and over. 

I always hated the idea of tipping (coming from a non-tipping culture), but since it became a necessity to keep service workers from starving and becoming homeless I now know it's objectively bullshit and has no place in a society that values all work. Businesses have to pay workers a decent wage from standard revenues received. If they can't do that and make a profit, then perhaps they're not competent enough to be in business.

We don't tip, we have a much higher minimum wage and yet small service businesses (cafes, bars, restaurants etc) still manage to operate profitably*, partly because the service workers can afford to go to cafes bars and restaurants themselves on their days and nights off.

Sorry - I did not mean to start a derail concerning tipping nor service workers.  I love service workers.  Quite literally, over the years.  I just had a really bad experience on Friday that was exacerbated by my poor mood after traveling all day.  For example, had a layover in Nashville where you can smoke, but it costs ten bucks.  That always pisses me off.

Talking about tipping in the US politics thread, I would have thought, is the opposite of a thread derail. Politically speaking, paying service workers properly so that tipping can go back to what it was originally claimed to achieve (better levels of service for the customer) seems like a topic worth discussing. 

I would be interested to know who is in favour of tipping as a way to compensate for service workers only being paid $2.13/hr. I understand federal law requires businesses to ensure incomes in any given week are topped up to at least the minimum wage if the worker doesn't get there with tips + $2.13/hr. So I wonder, is the standard tip rate going from 10%, to 15% to 20% (over the last decade or so) less of a support the workers thing and more of an allows the business to not have to pay top ups often / ever thing?

Regarding service workers - it seems the minimum wage hike in CA to $20 an hour is causing major grief for workers and fast-food joints alike. One of many such articles:

California's minimum wage hike blamed for Fosters Freeze store closing down — worker laments she'd rather have the old wage because 'now we don't have a job' (msn.com)

I am a big fan of minimum wage hikes, but I see what happened in CA as 'too much too quick' - $1 a year is much more appropriate.

And there is also this bizarre (and deliberate?) snafu in Ohio:

Ohio warns Democrats that Biden may miss deadline for November ballot (msn.com)

Edited by ThinkerX

Tipping culture in America is definitely a bizarre scenario and I'm not sure how we got here. I'm a career bartender and I have relied on tips completely to support myself my entire life. I made six figures annually working stupidly difficult hours in Manhattan; the Scottish pub on Times Square paid me $9 an hour but we made five times that in tips. Back in my sleepy Midwest town, I'm currently terrified because I've finally jumped ship to bar management, which requires far more responsibility at a massive pay cut. My owners are incredible people, but they simply can't pay me even half what I would make slinging pints down the road.

In my defense of the system, I'll say that the very best of us make a ton because we're very, very good at our jobs and are duly paid because of it. You've all had awful waiters before. It's a niche job working the service industry for a living, and the real talent directly make more every shift than the riff-raff. To this day I'm baffled that retail workers can keep on; they deal with the same shit we do, and the vast majority of retail staff are paid hourly vs any kind of commission.

2 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Regarding service workers - it seems the minimum wage hike in CA to $20 an hour is causing major grief for workers and fast-food joints alike. One of many such articles:

Workers are not pets and they are not property.

No-one guaranteed those businesses an employee, they can either compete for them or go without.

Also any employees that are in places that cant afford them will be better off for the opportunity to move to an employer that is operating under a more serious business plan than exploiting the most desperate they can trick into their servitude.

They can move there grease burger operation over to Tijuana if they are so enamored with paying unliveable wages.

This was voted on and endorsed by Californians, the debate is over.

[mod] Folks, please, no tipping talk.

Tipping has seriously caused more bad blood and flaming than virtually any other topic on this board over the years. It's, pardon the pun, off the table as a topic. Thank you. [/mod]

• Ran locked this topic