Watch, Watched, Watching: Movies That Could Never Be Made Today Version

Mr. Chatywin et al.

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

I did wonder if they were going to do a sequel, there was a fairly obvious set-up for Death on the Nile at the end.

It's in production. The scenery should make a nice contrast. I was thinking orient was probably relatively cheap to make thanks to them only requiring a train set as the rest of the film was a cgi mountain covered in snow. I just checked and the budget was $55 million which I imagine was largely spent on the cast. No wonder they want a sequel although I don't know whether the nile story will be as cheap to make? I guess ITV has been adapting them for decades so probably the poirot format lends itself to lower budgets. 

On 9/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, WarGalley said:

I watched Umbre on Amazon Prime. (Umbre being "Shadows" in Romanian). This is apparently an HBO Europe production which I didn't know was a thing. The story follows a Romanian family man who drives a cab and collects money for the local mob boss, often by force.  We watch him try to keep his 2 lives separate while he deals with the physical and ethical implications of his work. Solid show with major flaws. It reminded me a lot of Un Prophete.

The most severe problem is the absolutely terrible subtitles. A lot of the banter between the characters is witty and humorous, and you're able to get the general gist of Romanian slang but it comes off more awkward and less contemporary than it should for trash talk. There are some phrases that leave you cross-eyed at what the interpretation of it should be and you can't figure out the meaning at all. 

The other, much more minor issue I had, was that episodes would end in what should be an upcoming major conflict that you look forward to seeing play out. But then the next episode starts a few days later after any immediate aftermath has taken place and where a sudden conflict has dissolved to a degree. I would have rather seen them pick up the story right where they left off.

Overall a good show that I'll keep watching. They really need to get better subtitle translations though..

Just finished S1. Not quite on par with some of the Italian crime shows, but I liked it overall. Wonder how long until Amazon gets S2?

RIP Pop Puiu 

:crying:

22 hours ago, williamjm said:

I did wonder if they were going to do a sequel, there was a fairly obvious set-up for Death on the Nile at the end.

FYI,the main cast has been announced: Kenneth Branagh, Armie Hammer ,Gal Gadot.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/armie-hammer-death-on-the-nile-remake-1202967508/

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just finished S1. Not quite on par with some of the Italian crime shows, but I liked it overall. Wonder how long until Amazon gets S2?

Reveal hidden contents

RIP Pop Puiu 

:crying:

Yeah, not quite as good as the Italian productions but solid. Apparently Season 2 aired in Europe a year ago, so no idea when Amazon will get it. S2 Trailer is here.

I started The Americans due to the reviews here. I watched the pilot once a few years back but never went through the rest of the seasons. On Episode 5 and it's nice to see Margo Martindale back in action. It also makes me reminisce for the DC suburbs as someone who lived in Arlington, VA for a few years.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah, not quite as good as the Italian productions but solid. Apparently Season 2 aired in Europe a year ago, so no idea when Amazon will get it. S2 Trailer is here.

I started The Americans due to the reviews here. I watched the pilot once a few years back but never went through the rest of the seasons. On Episode 5 and it's nice to see Margo Martindale back in action. It also makes me reminisce for the DC suburbs as someone who lived in Arlington, VA for a few years.

Margo martindale is great throughout. She is wonderful in Sneaky Pete too if you haven’t already watched it

I was at a horror festival recovering from a hangover yesterday and saw some good films.

"Tigers are not afraid" is phenomenal. It's been described as "pan's Labyrinth" meets "city of God" and it's very apt. It's about street orphans trying to survive in a drug war torn town in modern  mexico. I'm a sucker for dark fairy tales where the "magic" may merely be a coping mechanism for the very harsh reality a child may exist in and this delivers in spades. Del Toro is producing the director's next film as this is the kind of film he made in his early days. I'd urge anyone who has enjoyed "pan's Labyrinth" or "a monster calls" to track it down.

"Office uprising" is a much lighter film and tongue in cheek. It's about office workers from an arms manufacturer going insane on a test gone wrong. It's like "the office" meets "hot Fuzz" with surprisingly good action. Zach Levi and "taxi driver from Deadpool" star.

"Summer of 84" is a pretty good thriller. The producers pointed out the film was made prior to the release of stranger things. I can see why they mention this as the feel of the film is very similar and highlights the dangers of making nostalgia TV/film that plays on tropes from a given era. But 80s nostalgia buffs will love this. I thought it was a solid thriller which actually plays with the "this person is so obviously guilty they can't be the killer" trope quite well. The final 15 minutes are actually pretty chilling. No monsters just psychos though.

"Tigers are not afraid" is the one to see though!

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The Man in the High Castle has resumed on Amazon. Just watched episode 1 of season 3. 

Really looking forward to watching it this weekend. Tried to bump the thread about it, but it has been archived.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

"Summer of 84" is a pretty good thriller. The producers pointed out the film was made prior to the release of stranger things. I can see why they mention this as the feel of the film is very similar and highlights the dangers of making nostalgia TV/film that plays on tropes from a given era. But 80s nostalgia buffs will love this. I thought it was a solid thriller which actually plays with the "this person is so obviously guilty they can't be the killer" trope quite well. The final 15 minutes are actually pretty chilling. No monsters just psychos though.

I was actually disappointed with this. I thought the humor fell flat and it was just kinda boring. I do agree that the last 15 minutes was easily the best part of it though. 

@Theda Baratheon Are you watching AHS: Apocalypse? I like it so far and recommend it if you aren’t. 

29 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I was actually disappointed with this. I thought the humor fell flat and it was just kinda boring. I do agree that the last 15 minutes was easily the best part of it though. 

@Theda Baratheon Are you watching AHS: Apocalypse? I like it so far and recommend it if you aren’t. 

I spent most of the film wondering why it was in the horror film schedule to be honest. But I'm a sucker for 80s loser kids on BMXs dealing with murders.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

No I’m not but a few people have told me that so I might give it a go!!

I’ve started watching reign, but... it’s really really unrealistic. Not only in a historical sense, I mean all historical shows and movies are unrealistic and unauthentic to a level, but Reign is also unrealistic in a cohesive building of a fictional world sense. It’s just all over the place. It can’t keep its own rules. One of the main reasons I adore historical movies and shows is the costumes. Reign is either modern or lazy about that department, it’s hard to tell, but that’s all over the place too. Adelaide Kane is not a very good actor with not a good or likable character to play and so far the story is quite boring and soapy too. On the plus side the king of France and the bastard son of the king of Portugal are damn worth looking at in those leather pants and jerkins with those big board shoulders and stares that can unclasp your bra, so there’s that at least. Not sure how many episodes I’m gonna give this one... definitely not more than a season. 

And I’m also trying to finish the 100, but it’s so boring at this point that I switched it off in the middle of a two-part season finale. 

There are also The Last Kingdom and the Handmaid’s Tale that I can’t bring myself to finish. They are so slow and impossibly boring I just can’t... I’m stuck in the middle of season 2 in both cases. 

Colette -- another historical film, all be it centered on the infamous and famous writer Colette and her horrible husband, Willie, and her subsequent life after leaving him.  It's marketed as a flaming feminist portrait.  However, if one has read all of Colette's works, many of which (not all of them!) center on women literally suffering and dying for love, and have read the many biographies of her, I'm not so certain how feminist she really was. That Colette was fashionably scandalous in her bi-sexual romances is one thing, but ultimately it was all about being helplessly in love -- with a man.  Nevertheless, the film's company is doing everything to make Colette splash, so I was at a Q&A with the director after a screening last night.  I enjoyed it because of the actors, the costumes, the locale, etc. -- though per usual, as with anything set in the past, the historical mise-en-scène is too flat and clean to be quite believable, as this too is filtered through contemporary consciousness just like the characters' characters.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Watched Venom and it wasn't too bad, enjoyed it well enough.

started Ozark about 6 episodes in and liking it, will see where it goes.

planning to see A Star is born tomorrow.

Venom really does benefit from low expectations. I watched kermode's review (who I tend to trust) and even he admitted the last third of the film was fun even if the film was a mess.

I caught a few movies this weekend. I really wanted to see First Blood, but it wasn’t available to rent so I went with the second Rambo movie instead. It was fine, a big dumb action movie, but it was little more than that. Then I watched Chinatown. It was one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Funny thing it could have easily been terrible, but the acting and pacing is so perfect.

I also saw a few episodes of Friends while killing some time. The show is not funny, and would suffer greatly without the laugh track, but the characters are quite endearing. I can see why it has such a loyal fan base.  

I've been watching the tv-adaptation of Animal Kingdom. I really like the movie and I like the show too but they are very different tonally. The show feels like they've taken the basic premise and concept of the movie and combined it with Point Break.

Archived