DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin

It has a potential win in that it is one of the first hispanic heroes on the screen of any real note. I don't think it's going to appeal the same way that Black Panther did in that I don't think it's centered on that as part of the hero part - it's more that that's his background and family - but that may help it get a bigger audience than folks are thinking. 

11 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

It has a potential win in that it is one of the first hispanic heroes on the screen of any real note. I don't think it's going to appeal the same way that Black Panther did in that I don't think it's centered on that as part of the hero part - it's more that that's his background and family - but that may help it get a bigger audience than folks are thinking. 

Yea this is the one wildcard, I have no idea how much this will factor in. 

Aquaman 2? Who the fuck knows. By rights it should flop as well, but why on earth did the first one make so much? Critics didn’t care for it, Aquaman had a rushed introduction in a terrible Justice League film. Still baffled by that one, so all bets are off for the sequel.

Blue Beetle doesn't look very expensive to me. Its effects are not top end. So if it is a flop, it might not be that big of a flop. George Lopez and the the lead actor who's also in Cobra Kai may attract a crowd.

5 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea this is the one wildcard, I have no idea how much this will factor in. 

Aquaman 2? Who the fuck knows. By rights it should flop as well, but why on earth did the first one make so much? Critics didn’t care for it, Aquaman had a rushed introduction in a terrible Justice League film. Still baffled by that one, so all bets are off for the sequel.

Jason Momoas chest, beard and hair?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Any guesses on how well Blue Beetle does? It’s lumbered with the same problems as Flash (except one glaring one), doesn’t have Batman Flash or Supergirl, and features a superhero nobody had heard of until now. This could flop really, really hard.

I’m not optimistic for any of the CBM’s yet to be released this year.

the question with Blue Beetle and Aquaman 2 is what kind of marketing spend are they going to see? I know the former comes out in 1.5 months and aside from a very generic trailer, I’m not seeing much.

2 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

You could be right, and I'd considered this [in the vein of Kamala Khan et fam] but I don't know. Obviously, if it's actually pretty decent and gets good word of mouth it might do alright, but I'm sensing another comparative flop. 

---

Wonder if Gunn is secretly relieved Flash panned. I'm also very curious about his Superman: Legacy script. Hope he has it in him.

Edited by JGP

22 hours ago, sifth said:

You know things aren't looking good for The Flash, when it already has a streaming date; July 18th to be exact, just a little over a month from when it was released.

I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting reports online, including mid-August. Who's saying 18 July? 

9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting reports online, including mid-August. Who's saying 18 July? 

This is where I heard of it. Take it for what you will. I think it’s already up for preorder on YouTube as well.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I actually want Blue Beetle to do really well and make the most money of any DC movie, because it would make zero sense and confuse everyone so much they would have no idea what movies to make in the future. 

This is a Comedically Chaotic position, and I am all for it! 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I actually want Blue Beetle to do really well and make the most money of any DC movie, because it would make zero sense and confuse everyone so much they would have no idea what movies to make in the future. 

I have never in my life heard of the blue beetle. I saw a poster at the theater and thought it was some mummy type of thing. Then saw a preview. If it is able to lean in on the humor it may be ok, if not it's screwed.

20 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

And knowing Hollywood, they'll interpret the movie's failure as a sign that people don't want hispanic heroes...

Because the (predicted) failure can't be related to movie released in a canceled franchise and/or just poor story/movie, right?

35 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

And knowing Hollywood, they'll interpret the movie's failure as a sign that people don't want hispanic heroes...

Because the (predicted) failure can't be related to movie released in a canceled franchise and/or just poor story/movie, right?

At the moment Hollywood has more pressing issues to deal with; the writers strike and the likely SAG strike, are basically going to shut the entire industry down.

• 2 weeks later...