DC Cinematic Universe: Let the Blames Begin

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think this was what I was getting at, they don’t really know what the final movie is gonna look like so they just throw shit at a wall and hope to find a way to cut it together at the end. Multiple plot lines which need to be whittled down and still have relevance. 

Wasn't it Taika who said he finds his movies in the editing bay? It's just how some creatives work. They sculpt, rather than build. 

40 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Wasn't it Taika who said he finds his movies in the editing bay? It's just how some creatives work. They sculpt, rather than build. 

To a degree. The most extreme example of this is Terrence Mallick. He will often start making one film and “find” a completely different film in the editing bay. He’s not even a sculptor; he’s miner.

This is how you get hilarity like Adrien Brody doing a whole press tour for The Thin Red Line thinking he’s the star of the film; only to find his role reduced to a cameo when he saw it for the first time at the films premiere.

He literally lived in the bush in the Australian outback (or something) and didn’t bathe for like 6 months. He probably turned down god knows how many other high-profile jobs to make this film. He was rightly pissed off.

16 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

He literally lived in the bush in the Australian outback (or something) and didn’t bathe for like 6 months. He probably turned down god knows how many other high-profile jobs to make this film. He was rightly pissed off.

Had a look to see where they filmed in Australia - primarily in Queensland, around the Daintree Forest, and Bramston Beach, south of Cairns, with most shooting taking place in winter - June to November in 1997, which is a good time to be filming there. And apparently it was his costume they wouldn't wash, for...reasons? 

Didn't know though, that his role was cut down. Explains why interviews with him regarding that film aren't the most...upbeat. 

The current best superhero TV show on air, Superman & Lois has been renewed for a 4th shortened season, so likely the last. Which is great considering whom they introduced in the penultimate episode of season 3. Season 3 has been its best yet. 

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You're a goddamn monster. I was going to be productive, and then I watched this, and then another from that 2012 panel, and then another, and then...

GODSDAMN YOU, @Deadlines? What Deadlines?, give me 20 minutes of my life back! :D

There's nothing inherently wrong with finding a movie in the edit, and it clearly worked for Taika Watiti on Ragnarok. It presumably contributed some to the failings on Love and Thunder (which, like, I think are overstated but it is a mess of a film) but it wasn't the cause on its own. 

Total speculation on my part here but I do suspect part of it is that under Bob Chapek schedules were accelerated and that obviously makes doing a film like that harder. But also, he also fell foul of the production line thing coz initially Love and Thunder was going to be after Guardians 3 so not only did he have to deal with the Guardians linking up with Thor in Endgame but he had to do it last second and then segue to the film he already had. 

4 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Didn't know though, that his role was cut down. Explains why interviews with him regarding that film aren't the most...upbeat. 

Reactions from actors being cut from Malick films are varied, but for Brody it was particularly disappointing because he wasn't a huge star at the time and had basically believed this was going to be his breakout role. 

It's also fair to say that after Thin Red Line there's less justification for actors to be bitter about it because we knew that about him after that. 

On another Superman media, the showrunners for Superman & Lois had no idea if they were going to get renewed and they end season 3 on that cliffhanger!!! What the hell? Overall a season that was way above my expectations, especially after season 2 which was weaker than season 1.

Spoiler

Bruno and Peia Manheim were well written, humanized villains. Lex Luthor at the end was a scary badass. But the true villain of the season was Lois's cancer. The time and care they took to write her story was not something I would have expected from a superhero show. Seeing Superman completely helpless but still rising to be there for Lois was well done. They had Lois go through the long, painful treatment process like any other person would. No advanced Kryptionian tech to heal her, no 11th hour miracle cure. Solid writing.

Edited by Corvinus85

I didn't recall the name but when I saw him remembered a smaller part he had in Hollywood. No problem reserving judgment on Corenswet.

Brosnahan on the other hand is brilliant, and I'm very much looking forward to a more hard ass approach to Lois [hopefully we'll get it]

Edited by JGP

2 hours ago, JGP said:

I didn't recall the name but when I saw him remembered a smaller part he had in Hollywood. No problem reserving judgment on Corenswet.

Brosnahan on the other hand is brilliant, and I'm very much looking forward to a more hard ass approach to Lois [hopefully we'll get it]

They were both apparently on screen together briefly in the film Pearl

13 hours ago, sifth said:

You know things aren't looking good for The Flash, when it already has a streaming date; July 18th to be exact, just a little over a month from when it was released.

Its ww box office has eclipsed Shazam 2, Green Lantern and (I think) Birds of Prey. 

There’s no stopping this freight train.

Any guesses on how well Blue Beetle does? It’s lumbered with the same problems as Flash (except one glaring one), doesn’t have Batman Flash or Supergirl, and features a superhero nobody had heard of until now. This could flop really, really hard.