MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Had to watch the trailer again to try and understand which bit someone would think was "awesome". I'm still struggling. 

This movie might be the one that really causes a Marvel rethink, if that hasn't happened already after Thor and Quantumania. God knows they need it.

It looks fun.  I’ll watch it.

With James Gunn taking over DC, I have more faith in Superman Legacy and all the films that come after. My dream of one day seeing Detective Chimp and The Question in live action might come true. 

Edited by sifth

I don't know why someone who hasn't liked the independent showings of each of these characters, and intensely dislikes one of the actresses (both their performance of the character and her out of character comments), would be surprised that a movie combining the 3 doesn't appeal to them. 

Different people like different things, it's ok if something isn't made for you. Yeah this board isn't representative enough of the general audience to assume commercial success. But when almost every reply on the subject other than yourself is ranging from willing to give it a chance to very enthusiastic, then obviously someone thinks it looks interesting.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't know why someone who hasn't liked the independent showings of each of these characters, and intensely dislikes one of the actresses (both their performance of the character and her out of character comments), would be surprised that a movie combining the 3 doesn't appeal to them. 

Different people like different things, it's ok if something isn't made for you. Yeah this board isn't representative enough of the general audience to assume commercial success. But when almost every reply on the subject other than yourself is ranging from willing to give it a chance to very enthusiastic, then obviously someone thinks it looks interesting.

Sure, that's fair. 

So, what is it in that trailer that makes it 'fun?' I'm now interested to know what people are seeing there. Is it the premise? The plot? The characters? The action? 

To me it doesn't tick any of those boxes, so its baffling to me that it would for other people, unless they were incredibly undemanding and any movie containing lasers is enough to get them to go watch it.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

But when almost every reply on the subject other than yourself is ranging from willing to give it a chance to very enthusiastic, then obviously someone thinks it looks interesting.

My partner and I were at Captain Marvel on premiere night. You can bet your ass we'll be there on opening night for The Marvels as well. 

13 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Sure, that's fair. 

So, what is it in that trailer that makes it 'fun?' I'm now interested to know what people are seeing there. Is it the premise? The plot? The characters? The action? 

To me it doesn't tick any of those boxes, so its baffling to me that it would for other people, unless they were incredibly undemanding and any movie containing lasers is enough to get them to go watch it.

My assumption is that the trailer shows them struggling with swapping places every time, but the climax will feature them working seamlessly together and using it to their advantage, so each enemy gets a coordinated attack from all three; a punch from Captain Marvel, some phasing thing from Monica and a fake light thingy from Ms Marvel, all in quick succession. Kinda like how Dr Strange kept portalling everyone in Infinity War to attack Thanos. Which sounds like a cool concept, and if well directed it could make for some good action sequences.

I’m not sure that the trailer really gives away much, we already knew the above from the ending of Ms Marvel and other than that, seems like your basic ‘there’s a bad guy, we need to stop her’. So I’m cautiously optimistic, I’m fairly agnostic on Cap, enjoyed Ms Marvel, not that enthused by Monica but we’ll see.

Of course the trailer for Secret Invasion looked great, and that’s proving pretty weak. I just don’t think we can judge nearly as much from a trailer as some like to.

I liked the Ms. Marvel show; though I pretty much only watched it because it takes place mostly in Jersey City; where I went to college.

The script for The Marvels leaked over a year ago and I read it. So far the trailers mostly seem to be following what was in it.

Edited by sifth

On 7/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, DaveSumm said:

My assumption is that the trailer shows them struggling with swapping places every time, but the climax will feature them working seamlessly together and using it to their advantage, so each enemy gets a coordinated attack from all three; a punch from Captain Marvel, some phasing thing from Monica and a fake light thingy from Ms Marvel, all in quick succession. Kinda like how Dr Strange kept portalling everyone in Infinity War to attack Thanos. Which sounds like a cool concept, and if well directed it could make for some good action sequences.

Not having read the leaked script, I am assuming this is very likely the case. But it also looks like the film will play up the humor that comes from the constant location swapping, which I could see getting very tiresome very quickly and turning into a one-note gag. 

I'm sure the plot will be extremely predictable, but if the movie leans into the situational humor and sight gags in an almost Looney Tunes style, I'll be quite happy. 

Got caught up on Secret Invasion just in time for the finale.  Will probably catch it Thursday morning.  

I'm with everyone else here, its fine.  Can't say much more than this.  Probably should have either been a short, tight action theatrical release or a slightly longer character piece with a bit more time to breathe.  This in between just didn't work.

I honestly believe we are nearing the end of the Super Hero phase of cinema fads.  There will always be room for the occasional tentpoles for the biggest of names, but I just don't see the four-five releases per year of a shared universe being a sustainable model for much longer.  I think the average fan felt a natural and inevitable conclusion following Endgame.  

The "Gotta Watch It All" momentum the MCU had stalled at Infinity Wars and the Disney shows for sure. 

I hypothetically enjoy the better comic book content, but I've skipped probably 2/3s of the Phase 4 content and am less interested every release. Then again the same has happened with Disney's Star Wars content for me, and in the past I've been a colossal SW fanboy vs only a middling comic follower. Perhaps it's simply the oversaturation for me.

Again, I'm going to remind folks that the death of superhero movies has been declared more often than the death of various superheroes within them, and yet fifteen years after the launch of the MCU, they still make hundreds of millions of dollars apiece, and pack out theatres. The occasional flop is to be expected, but three of the top ten grossing MCU films were released after Endgame. We're some distance from '90s comic book crash territory.

If you keep declaring the genre dead every six months, eventually you'll be right, I suppose.

It’s not the end of Superheroes as a genre but hopefully it’s the end of Superhero Spam. Studios can’t just make something with people in spandex and capes and expect people to go watch it any more.

Movies will need to be better, more unique and interesting if you wanna hook people in. That’s a positive. 

For me the end came when there were like 3 brand new superhero shows on Netflix and I don’t even remember what they were called and I doubt anyone watched them. Although the real end has to be this year with WB and Disney both flopping hard almost every movie they release.

Edited by Heartofice

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

For me the end came when there were like 3 brand new superhero shows on Netflix and I don’t even remember what they were called and I doubt anyone watched them. Although the real end has to be this year with WB and Disney both flopping hard almost every movie they release.

I'm a Virgo might have been one of them and I am happy to watch it for you to report back on how bad (or not?) it might be.

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

I'm a Virgo might have been one of them and I am happy to watch it for you to report back on how bad (or not?) it might be.

I cannot recommend enough that everyone watch I'm A Virgo, but here's what the creator has to say about whether it's a superhero show:

56 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

No I think it was Jupiter's Legacy that tipped me over the edge, coming off the back of the, actually good, Invincible I was left with zero motivation to ever watch anyone in a cape again.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Again, I'm going to remind folks that the death of superhero movies has been declared more often than the death of various superheroes within them, and yet fifteen years after the launch of the MCU, they still make hundreds of millions of dollars apiece, and pack out theatres. The occasional flop is to be expected, but three of the top ten grossing MCU films were released after Endgame. We're some distance from '90s comic book crash territory.

If you keep declaring the genre dead every six months, eventually you'll be right, I suppose.

Its an interesting list, and I think there's something to be said for the fact that the movie I see widely praised as one of the best in the MCU (Winter Soldier) is number 21.

But I think the list proves my point more than disproves it.  Those three you mention after Endgame are Spiderman NWH (number 2), Wakanda Forever (number 7) which was objectively a mess that was peddling on the cultural phenomenon of its predecessor, and Doctor Strange MoM (number 9).