Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

Watched the second episode of The Idol. First, I have to say, Lily-Rose Depp is doing very well -- Elizabeth Berkley she is not. She's got a pretty heavy role to play, bouncing between lacerating depression and anxiety to euphorically smitten and lusty, and all stages in-between, and is doing a good job of it.

The discordant note of Tedros is much more obviously villainous, what with his cult of wayward wanna-be musicians who submit to torture at his direction and his planting Dyanna into Jocelyn's troupe of dancers showing that he's deliberately targeting her. I wouldn't say his performance elevates the part, but now that the shape of it is clearer, it's perfectly serviceable and, again, props to him for willfully playing a loathsome bad guy as his first gig on a show he's co-creator and executive producer on; most musicians trying to be actors go for good guy hero roles.

All that said, I liked the episode pretty well up until he and his crew arrived at Joss's house, and then the off-kilterness seems more like an interesting failure than anything. I think a better actor than the Weeknd could have sold his role better.

Edited by Ran

Watched the first episode of Hate/Love third season.  Well, so much for no politics ... though ... it looks as though these 'politics' are most def intersectional with criminality.

Interesting that so far,

Spoiler

with the exception of the precipitating kill that opens the first ep of the first season, all the kills by Our Regulars are of scumbags who hurt/threaten women -- even when they are good to their mums. This way we can keep a sympathetic vision, at least to a degree, of the killer(s) in question.

Something they share too, is they are led by their dicks, which are always sending them in directions that anyone even slightly smart would not.  Even the guy who got killed in the first ep of the third season -- knocking out and raping the wife of one of the guys he is asking to do biz with him -- good frackin' grief! while the husband is in the adjacent room?  This one is a 'political activist.' Is this a comment by the show on who these guys are?  This is Dublin, not Belfast, btw.

Edited by Zorral

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

Watched the second episode of The Idol.

I think I pretty much agree with all of that.  Depp is really good, but I can't find a reason to continue watching.  The Weekend or however that is spelled, is ruining it.

Plus the showrunner, from Euphoria also, sounded like a complete sleezebag himself.

I completely forgot Showgirls was by Verhoeven.

I'm trying to watch all of Rebels for the first time, in anticipation of Asokha.

Edited by SpaceChampion

20 hours ago, Isis said:

I keep meaning to watch ALL of the Hitchcock films. This morning I was wondering whether I should just buy a DVD boxset or something. What do you recommend in terms of where to watch/how to watch? I feel like you can't really trust Netflix/Prime as stuff drops off there all the time (especially if you are as rubbish as I am when it comes to watching stuff that's already on your watchlist).

I think the boxset option is the best one.  Unless people have other ideas.  At the beginning of the year, I decided to watch one movie from every year starting from 1930.  Some of the oldest movies are available for free (in decent quality) on random websites but the further I went, the more I ended up buying the films to rent.  Not the most cost effective way to watch anything but I didn't see the alternative.

I did rotate the streamers to take advantage of the few old films they all have.  But I'm pretty sure that the 4 Hitchcock movies I watched were all rented from the various groups that do that (google, youtube, sky, apple etc).

I think I will return to Hitchcock myself when I am finished (i'm currently in the mid 1960s).

@Isis I have a hitchcock boxset collecting dust I could send you, if you don't mind that it's DVD and not blu-ray. I have all the movies on my plex server and don't need it. 

As long as I don't get accused of providing material support to ISIS.

Edit: Looks like it's this one.

Edited by RumHam

Finished the final season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel finally tonight. I absolutely loved it and am going to miss this show.  I almost fell like they wanted one more season, but decided to wrap it up in five anyway...regardless, episode 6 this season was a standout for me.  

Ghostbusters 2016

I’m about an hour in. This movie is excruciating. 

ETA: The second hour isn’t much better. Christ this thing is a mediocre cash grab. It’s actually kind of disappointing because Feig has done some really great stuff. The acting talent is wasted in this. The cameos just pissed me off. 

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

Silo: Good episode. I'm wary

Spoiler

of switching protagonists once again,

though.

Assuming

Spoiler

cafeteria guy will carry on the torch.

Unless Jules somehow managed to not fall to her death, which I doubt.

And HA!

Spoiler

I never trusted Bernard.

Nice acting by Mr Robbins.

Edited by Mindwalker

Reality (2023), docudrama of the arrest of Reality Winner, a very young woman, who is fluent in three Middle Eastern languages, in the airforce, who pulled a security clearance doc showing Russia's involvement with dump and the 2016 election, gave it to the Intercept, who bungled badly its release.  She went to prison for 5 years ... for a single security clearance document.  The film itself is chilling because it is all done so ... good naturedly. But its the F.B.I. tactics.  Just in case, everybody should see this, so if ever grabbed by cops, F.B.I. you will know what to expect from your relentless, endless grilling, and their tactics -- most important one which is to continually interrupt, often with the most stupid and silly of pretext any answer you are making with a question about something entirely different, such as, "Is your cat thirsty?"

The dialog is from the audio recording which has many unexplained unexcused drop-outs.

Edited by Zorral

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

But its the F.B.I. tactics.  Just in case, everybody should see this, so if ever grabbed by cops, F.B.I. you will know what to expect from your relentless, endless grilling, and their tactics -- most important one which is to continually interrupt, often with the most stupid and silly of pretext any answer you are making with a question about something entirely different, such as, "Is your cat thirsty?"

The dialog is from the audio recording which has many unexplained unexcused drop-outs.

Anyone whose ever seen a police procedural knows you don't talk to the cops without a lawyer. 

Even knowing that though, the first time I was aressted I spoke at length with the police and didn't get a lawer until after I was processed. Especially if you think you didn't do anything wrong, the tendency is to defend yourself. "Keep your mouth shut" sounds simple in a vaccum but it's harder in practice. 

On 6/15/2023 at 8:30 PM, RumHam said:

@Isis I have a hitchcock boxset collecting dust I could send you, if you don't mind that it's DVD and not blu-ray. I have all the movies on my plex server and don't need it. 

As long as I don't get accused of providing material support to ISIS.

Edit: Looks like it's this one.

I definitely still watch some stuff on DVD. Very kind of you to offer. If you have a look at what the cost of postage would be like to central London, UK (happy to pay if it isn't more than the cost of the boxset lol) and let me know we can go from there? 

Last night we watched the first episode of The Leftovers. Not sure what to think or feel about this really. It didn't grab me as many other first episodes of shows have managed to. It also feels weirdly dated? Some people have really bigged this show up to me so this felt like an anticlimax. Are there any fans of the show here who can speak in its favour?

3 minutes ago, Isis said:

Last night we watched the first episode of The Leftovers. Not sure what to think or feel about this really. It didn't grab me as many other first episodes of shows have managed to. It also feels weirdly dated? Some people have really bigged this show up to me so this felt like an anticlimax. Are there any fans of the show here who can speak in its favour?

To me, it's one of the best shows I've seen for a long time. Obviously will not be spoiling things for you, but it is one of those rare shows that improves season on season with a very satisfying ending. A lot of people didn't make it past season 1 as it can be..depressing for a lot of people, and I can totally see that, but S2 is stunning, as is S3.

I know it's a lot to ask people to stick with the show to make it to S2 & S3, so I totally understand people who get off the bus, but imo S1 still has lots of good stuff in it. The Tom Perrotta book that it's based on is weirdly even darker than the show.

Performances are also excellent, including Eccleston & Carie coon.

It *is* a heavy show though, so that's  something to be prepared for. The shine on the show has worn off *a little* bit for me after all the stuff about Lindelof and his writing room on Lost.

Ever more “incestuous”, i.e. the Love/Hate gangsters fucking the wives/girlfriends of each other, with ever deeper drug using addlement by all of them.  They are proving the cop bromide that criminals are stupid.  Really stupid. This is ever more so as drug cartels and 'political activist' groups join forces.  Our characters are going down like flies to a flyswatter, replaced by ever more incompetent, stupid, ugly and vicious ones. The consequences for the female characters are disastrous.

On the other hand, they do work hard, and have to handle crises all the time, many at once.  Every one of these criminals work harder in every single episode than any Roy every did over the course of the entire Succession series. :lol:

Actor Sean McGinley shows up toward the end of season 3, he of Single-Handed (2007 - coastal Ireland), Republic of Doyle (6 seasons 2010-14 - Newfoundland), Shetland (2013 - 22, Shetland Islands) – that’s the order of appearance in the shows that made me aware of him.  He does menace and malicious in Single-Handed; his role came after Love/Hate demands cold viciousness -- and he's smart, an actual operator of political violence, unlike all the rest of them. He's quite a lot older than the rest of them, so that he's still alive quite proves his intelligence. Scary.

Spoiler

At the end of season 3, Darren, who began as the sweetest, as well as the most pretty by a million yards, who came home to his brother being murdered (and we still don’t know who did that) is shot down, betrayed by Nidge, whose life Darren had just saved. Nidge wasn’t lying last season when he said to Darren he didn’t give a shit about anybody. Darren should have listened.

Edited by Zorral
I forgot to include the title of the series I was commenting on!

Leftovers is definitely one of the best shows I’ve ever watched, and I love that it exists.

HoweverI think that first season of Leftovers is quite a tough watch. It’s very very grim at times. It’s also worth knowing from the start that there are not answers to the big questions and the show is actually not even trying to answer them. I think I went in initially hoping for some cool reveal but it quickly stopped being an issue for me.

That the show actually sort of gets better when it gets past the source material and becomes something even more interesting is what elevates it I think. 

I don’t think I would be harsh on anyone who gave up on it though, it requires a level of patience and to be in the right frame of mind to really enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

I definitely still watch some stuff on DVD. Very kind of you to offer. If you have a look at what the cost of postage would be like to central London, UK (happy to pay if it isn't more than the cost of the boxset lol) and let me know we can go from there? 

The first time I tried watching, I made it through the first two episodes and kind of lost interest.

The second time, pushed through.  It ended up being my favorite show ever.

Its been a while, so I can't remember exactly why I stayed with it the second time, but I think the episodes that really caught me in the first season were 6 and especially 9.  Few scenes in a television show have ever impacted me the way the end of episode 9 did.

Ultimately, I think its a show about loss and trying to cope with that loss.  Some characters are more successful at doing that than others, and honestly its the ones who struggle that resonated with me the most.  Also, think its a show that makes you think about how you interact with and value your own loved ones.

And yeah, it sticks the landing with a great final episode and final scene.