Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

Since what would have been a lovely evening but wildfiring has made impossible to be outside, I'm guessing I know what a lot of East Coasters are going to be doing tonight: Avatar: The Way of Water started streaming today on HBO er MAX whatever. :D

Me, Imma gonna watch Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Monster (2023).

O! Wait! Ponniyan Selvan-2 is up on AP tonight.  That's what Imma gonna watch.

Edited by Zorral

Finished Succession today. The season, and series, was just ok. There were some really good spots but a lot of other spots that dragged out.

Spoiler

Obviously never imagined Tom as CEO. Shiv has herself to blame by telling the guy how much he could control Tom, unlike her.

The fight scene in the conference room was ridiculous. It just showed how inept all of them would be at running a company. For any of them to think they could do it other than maybe Shiv is delusional.

Overall I don't think I enjoyed the series as much as others did, the hype after S1 was big and IDK, it just wasn't as good after that, IMO.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished Succession today. The season, and series, was just ok. There were some really good spots but a lot of other spots that dragged out.

Reveal hidden contents

Obviously never imagined Tom as CEO. Shiv has herself to blame by telling the guy how much he could control Tom, unlike her.

The fight scene in the conference room was ridiculous. It just showed how inept all of them would be at running a company. For any of them to think they could do it other than maybe Shiv is delusional.

Overall I don't think I enjoyed the series as much as others did, the hype after S1 was big and IDK, it just wasn't as good after that, IMO.

I think the plotting of the show can make it a bit of a tough watch, season 3 really struggled to feel like the plot was moving forward and not just repeating itself.

However the joy is in the writing and the characters. It’s easily got the best dialogue of any show on tv, unsurprising given who wrote it, and it’s the interaction between the characters that gives the show life. 

I watched season 3 of The Great. It’s getting a bit tired in spite of the big plot event. Overall it’s still enjoyable but definitely a tad cruder than previous seasons with less nuance and layers.

The subverted tropes and the themes are terribly tired and flat as are nearly all 2020s themes and subverted tropes. The characters are overacted more often than not at this point and for me this has surpassed the comic relief proportion and stepped into the annoying and secondary stress inducing territory. 

the did however do a good job of weaving new agendas for some characters, whose previous roles ran out. For other characters it’s more like trying to make fetch happen, and it’s really not happening. I also enjoyed the grace with which they handled the main event of the season. The pacing and the structure of the season was good, they had time to resolve the main event. The costume design is still beautiful, especially Catherine’s and Elle Fanning acted the stars down from the sky. I hope she wins the Emmy for this season.

Spoiler

More specifically: 

I really enjoyed Elizabeth’s and Archie’s and George’s character journeys, Grigor’s falling apart was realistic and well done if a bit boring. Maxim is a lovely fresh color on the palette and in some inexplicable way, Velementov’s story worked too. I  also loved how Arkady and Tatiana got a new life and finally a purpose by  joining forces with Pugachev. 

The air Nicholas Hoult’s Peter brought into the fold feels to have left a hole and I’m curious how they mean to fill that next season. However, I have serious respect for taking the step of killing him off and the way they handled the aftermath of his death and his last decisions. The episode after his death was the best of the season. 

Another thing the show needs to commit to, however is killing off Marial and getting rid of the Swedish monarchs because neither of those stories or characters work in any way. If there’s one character I have zero sympathy for it’s Marial and the Swedish couple is an annoying plot device that’s not getting anywhere as a sub story of its own.

the Peter the Great ghost was another thing should have entirely cut. It added absolutely no value. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Watched "Guy Ritchie's The Covenant" (yes, that's the actual title) on Prime.

Despite the somewhat pretentious moniker, this is a surprisingly good movie. 

Ritchie is right up there amongst filmmakers I wouldn't normally touch with a bargepole. But my brother wanted to watch it so we did. 

Great performance as usual from Donnie Darko, but, OMG, the dude who played Ahmed was amazing. 

GoT fans will remember him getting etted by Ser Jorah. 

Guy Ritchie is talented, he's just missing some kind of director 'edit' button and so much of his output is overly chaotic.

Not sure where this goes, it is a very, very long piece on the Marvel universe.  I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but this is interesting in terms of the business end.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/12/how-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-swallowed-hollywood

6 hours ago, JGP said:

My latest viewing pleasure has been Deadloch [on Prime] a show about the locals [+ one] and a series of murders in a small, coastal Australian town. Really quite funny. 

It's on my list, particularly if this crisis of atmosphere continues beyond this weekend.

6 hours ago, JGP said:

My latest viewing pleasure has been Deadloch [on Prime] a show about the locals [+ one] and a series of murders in a small, coastal Australian town. Really quite funny. 

Sounds good, I'm going to give that a try.

Thanks to @Zorral I watched White House Plumbers, which was quite entertaining. And always a pleasure to see Lena Headey playing someone other than Cersei, alöthough for most of the time, she didn't have much to do.

Edited by Mindwalker

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh my god, it is “Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant”. No “:”.

Personally I appreciate the warning. Has he done anything good since his first two movies? 

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Personally I appreciate the warning. Has he done anything good since his first two movies? 

Sherlock Holmes seems well-regarded enough for what it is. I liked The Man From U.N.C.L.E. pretty well, too. Otherwise.. no, not really, though that said I too have heard some positive reviews for The Covenant.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I saw something he did recently and I shut it off half way through. It certainly didn’t feel very “Guy Ritchie”

I also thought Man From Uncle was criminally disrespected. It’s not great but it’s pretty good. 

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I saw this and thought it was pretty good. It's not great but you won't be mad you watched it.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I saw something he did recently and I shut it off half way through. It certainly didn’t feel very “Guy Ritchie”

I also thought Man From Uncle was criminally disrespected. It’s not great but it’s pretty good. 

I also think Man from Uncle is unappreciated, it’s up there with some of the Mission Impossible movies I think and had a fantastic visual style.

Which is why I don’t understand why everything else by Ritchie is so self indulgent and annoying. Well I think I do, this is the guy who married Madonna and made that crappy movie with her. It’s like he has no off switch or quality control, or he is just incredibly lazy.

The Gentleman is like a parody of a Guy Ritchie movie, all gruff cockneys mincing about, camera whooshing and voice over and no real story. I had to turn it off. So many of his ‘gangster’ movies are like that, constantly trying to recreate Lock Stock. Unpopular opinion I know but I put  Snatch in that bracket too.

His big commercial movies I guess have some sort of competence but just smack of someone doing stuff for the cash.

Maybe this Covenant thing is ok, I might check it out, but I’ll be off if I detect too much Ritchie in there or someone calls someone a ‘slaaaag’

Love/Hate (2010-2014; 4 seasons; Irish TV) arrived here on Britbox.

A great cast that includes Aiden Gillen.

Just began the first season.  It's set in Dublin gangland.  So location matters, so it immediately reminds the viewer of shows such as The Wire and Gomorrah.  At least this early in.  

i.e., it's about criminals, not politics.