Watched, Watch, Watching: Pink Bombs

Corvinus85

A close friend of mine recommend three movies for me to see the other day, all of them being kind of weird. So last night I watched Greener Grass. What a bizarre movie. A couple's kid turns into a dog, the community they live in is psychotic, the way they treat parenthood is insane and the ending is both crazy and anticlimactic. I think it's worth watching, but I'm pretty sure whoever wrote it took a few too many tabs of acid. 

Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building dropped. I knew Paul Rudd was in it (he was in the S2 finale, obviously) which is cool, especially as he is playing much more of an arsehole than normal, but Meryl Fucking Streep showing up as a full-season recurring character took me by surprise. Steve Martin calling in the big guns.

I started watching From. Got the first two episodes down and it's a very effective horror-suspense show, with Harold Perrineau as the sheriff of a permanently-besieged-by-the-undead-I-think town that is inexplicably "snowglobed" away from the rest of the world. Solid stuff, but the constant inexplicable mysteries could get wearying.

8 hours ago, hauberk said:

Final season of Reservation Dogs. Especially in small quirky roles. Graham Greene is an absolute treasure.  

Excellent. I look forwards the inexplicable 3-5 month gap before it shows up on Disney+ here.

23 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I found the first two episodes of the Futurama reboot ago but the 3rd was just boring. A bitcoin episode? Really?

Futurama is one of those shows where the original run when they had good momentum was excellent, but then after BTS Drama and BS, when it came back it just wasn't as good. They've had good patches but they've never regained the consistency of the first four seasons. Happened to quite a few other shows as well (Red Dwarf after Season 6, Community after Season 3, Babylon 5 Season 5 etc).

On 8/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, Werthead said:

I knew Paul Rudd was in it (he was in the S2 finale, obviously) which is cool, especially as he is playing much more of an arsehole than normal, but Meryl Fucking Streep showing up

Hopefully the last time Rudd and Streep are mentioned in the same sentence haha

Very happy to have Only Murders In The Building back. Meryl Streep is great - not a surprise, but she also fits in nicely. I've learned in season 2 to just enjoy the comedy, the actors and the vibe, although it would be nice to also get a decent little mystery. More Uma please!

Edited by Mindwalker

Yeah also watched that first episode of the new Murders in the Building.

Meryl Streep is fucking great and elevates the shit out of the show! 

Paul Rudd, who I usually think is a comedic genius and a hero, is totally wrong for this. I really didn't like him in the role at all, it just didn't fit his personality or comedic tempo. I felt shivers, in a bad way, whenever he was on screen. Seemed like a case of getting your mates in to play a role, whether they are right for it or not. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Meryl Streep is fucking great and elevates the shit out of the show! 

You know what's really crazy? You reminded me of this tonight, but she was once in a Wes Craven movie that was NOT a horror movie, alongside Angela Bassett and frelling Gloria Estefan, and it was a pretty good little flick: The Music of the Heart

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

You know what's really crazy? You reminded me of this tonight, but she was once in a Wes Craven movie that was NOT a horror movie, alongside Angela Bassett and frelling Gloria Estefan, and it was a pretty good little flick: The Music of the Heart

Never forget Meryl Streep got a Golden Globe nom for being chased in river rapids by Kevin Bacon.

Watching Winning Time on HBO, just started the new season. About to watch Painkiller on Netflix. Also Billions final season tomorrow, excited for this one as I love this show.

Watched about half of Fleishman is in Trouble on Hulu and mostly liked it. Also on Hulu saw a couple of eps of Only Murders in the building, looks good so far.

10 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Never forget Meryl Streep got a Golden Globe nom for being chased in river rapids by Kevin Bacon.

Lets also not forget my absolutely favourite Cult classic starring Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. I've been able to quote that film line for line since I was far too young

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lets also not forget my absolutely favourite Cult classic starring Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn and Bruce Willis. I've been able to quote that film line for line since I was far too young

Death Becomes Her.  I saw that in theatres.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Man that movie had some creepy AF special effects, many of which still look good today.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:33 PM, Werthead said:

Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building dropped. I knew Paul Rudd was in it (he was in the S2 finale, obviously) which is cool, especially as he is playing much more of an arsehole than normal, but Meryl Fucking Streep showing up as a full-season recurring character took me by surprise. Steve Martin calling in the big guns.

I started watching From. Got the first two episodes down and it's a very effective horror-suspense show, with Harold Perrineau as the sheriff of a permanently-besieged-by-the-undead-I-think town that is inexplicably "snowglobed" away from the rest of the world. Solid stuff, but the constant inexplicable mysteries could get wearying.

Excellent. I look forwards the inexplicable 3-5 month gap before it shows up on Disney+ here.

For a moment I did a double take and wondered if Only Murders in the Building has started doing the Netflix model of dropping the entire season at once.

People should really stop saying "season x of y has dropped" when it's just normal weekly releases of an episode or two.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I never finished Andor. I’ll get around to it eventually. The first few episodes were OK.

Kenobi? Book of Boba Fett? The last season of Disco? We just forgetting about those? Righto. 

Andor is great. The best Star Wars thing in a long time and also one of the best current shows.  

Emmys did well to recognise that by nominating it for Best drama, but it's ridiculous that they snubbed the entire cast (same as HotD). But Emmys just love doing that for acclaimed new shows they nominate them for Best drama but ignore the cast (see also: Succession in 2019). Andy Serkis, Stellan Skarsgard and Genevieve O'Reilly especially deserved nominations and Serkis should have not just been nominated but won the guest category.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:35 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I never finished Andor. I’ll get around to it eventually. The first few episodes were OK.

Kenobi? Book of Boba Fett? The last season of Disco? We just forgetting about those? Righto. 

I’m with you , Andor was to boring for me to finish. And I ain’t gonna pretend to like it cause everyone is desperate to love it cause the bar has sunk so low.