Gerwig's Barbie

IheartIheartTesla

Dont know why some people are puzzled by the movie's success-the Mario movie made ~145 million in its 3 days opening, and that was literally about an overweight plumber jumping over obstacles (I went too, but only because my young son is a bit obsessed). This movie at least has a few weightier themes associated with it. 

Haven't seen it yet, but as the wife and I were walking out of MI7, the post-Barbie audience, lingering in the theatre foyer, was huge, and new people were arriving, including some dressed to the nine, in pink attire of all sorts, to see the movie. Most looked to be pre-teens and teens, plus a few older folk. 

But holy crap, there were a lot of people, all of them talking about it. Loved the teenage boys behind us commenting on how much they enjoyed the singing numbers in the movie. 

And this was, I stress, on a *Sunday evening*. 

Partner and friends are going to see it.  The women in this group all Did Barbie big time when children, but I never did Barbie at all, so am opting out of this friends' excursion.  Well, that's my excuse anyway.  Worse, last night at the dinner party one of them gave me a pristine, never taken out of packaging, Ken Doll!  Ken looks just like Partner, They Said. Ha!

They are all having too much fun laffing at my lack of interest.  That's what I think anyway.  Ha! :lol: (Friends are a lot of fun, actually -- I love them to death, and we always have a really good time -- and did we ever have fun last night, just hanging out, like normal times! -- and they don't mind me not going to the movie with them all.)

I saw it with my girlfriend. I thought it was a fun, breezy movie with a lot of great jokes. Yeah, it had a deeper message it was trying to get across with zero subtlety. But it's a worthwhile one and the heavy-handedness didn't take away from how fun the movie itself was. The gags, the visuals, the singing numbers, it was all great.

It did feel like maybe three different movie ideas jammed into one, but I didn't think it detracted from the movie. Except the final scene (not counting the gag at the very end), which really felt like a conclusion to a different movie.

Also, Ryan Gosling completely stole the show. Margot Robbie was good, but she was given surprisingly little to work with I thought.

It seems the pre-release promotion of the Barbie held back on the feminist messaging and now that the angry right has seen it / caught wind of it some are now busily trying to hate it into oblivion. Too late though, it's already made its money back and then some. 

I'm curious to see it, but my wife isn't terribly interested so will probably wait for it to get onto a streaming platform.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

You know the two productions weren't actually competing against each other for Best Film Of July 2023, right? 

Sshhh, don't give away our secret intel! That's classified information! :D

1 minute ago, Raja said:

Haven't seen it yet but I've honestly really enjoyed hearing about packed houses for Barbie & seeing packed houses for Oppenheimer.

People want to go out for good movies

Or, at the very least, the win I am getting from this, is that they want to see *somewhat* original films. I mean, sure, Barbie's technically an IP, but it's one that delightfully skewers it with wanton abandon and glee. And Oppenheimer is, well, very not IP fare. 

So they're wins I'll take, in what has so far been a very disappointing year for movies. That said, I'm hearing great things about Pinball: The Man Who Saved the Game, which I really want to see. 

25 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well it looks like studios will take the exact wrong message from the success of Barbie. It's not 'oh lets make interesting unique movies that people will get excited about', there are rumours of a 'Mattel cinematic universe'. Ugh.

Yeah that was...disheartening. Like, oh boy, WRONG TAKEAWAY FOLX!

On 7/23/2023 at 6:48 PM, Zorral said:

Partner and friends are going to see it.  The women in this group all Did Barbie big time when children, but I never did Barbie at all, so am opting out of this friends' excursion.  Well, that's my excuse anyway.  Worse, last night at the dinner party one of them gave me a pristine, never taken out of packaging, Ken Doll!  Ken looks just like Partner, They Said. Ha!

They are all having too much fun laffing at my lack of interest.  That's what I think anyway.  Ha! :lol: (Friends are a lot of fun, actually -- I love them to death, and we always have a really good time -- and did we ever have fun last night, just hanging out, like normal times! -- and they don't mind me not going to the movie with them all.)

Well now that you DID Ken you have no excuse anymore. :D

I saw it with my wife, teenage sons, and another mom with her teenage daughters. Everyone but me dressed in pink (I sported Star Wars rebellion logo shirt like a proper geek). The theater crowd was very vocal, almost annoyingly so, but it was fun to see with an excited audience. 

I enjoyed the first two acts and laughed a lot, but the last part dragged a bit as they struggled to bring the disparate halves back together. Over all, I'd still recommend it as a fun night out.

And as Raja, said above: people will turn out for good movies. That's the take away here. Just because it has an expensive IP attached and cost a gazillion dollars to make, it has to be rooted in story and character, not spectacle.