Gerwig's Barbie

IheartIheartTesla

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

140 million (which is admittedly a optimistic projection) is batman money.  Barbie doesn't that level of inbuilt audience. Sindy was better anyway. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sindy

It kinda does though. Barbie has been a major pop culture staple for a long time and they casted two actors with extremally high Q scores to lead the movie. 

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Barbie doesn't that level of inbuilt audience.

:dunno: It's hard to say for sure coz, well, there's never been a Barbie narrative being sold before (well, I assume there were some comics or some shit at some point but you know what I'm saying) so there isn't much direct comparison, in any medium. But as far as brand recognition and appeal to people who were into Barbie when they were little, I can't see how Barbie's below Batman. Everyone knows who and what Barbie is. It's one of the most successful brands there's ever been. 

It's a little like when people were shocked that the Mario movie was doing insanely well. It's Mario and people liked it. Of course it did well. Barbie isn't gonna quite hit that high because it doesn't seem to be actually aiming at kids, but it's got at least the same kind of brand recognition going for it. 

:lol:

The Right-Wing Backlash Against ‘Barbie’ Is Hilariously Flopping

AT FIRST BLUSH, it would seem that the right wing would be just as excited as everyone else for the Barbie movie, which opens in wide release this Friday. There is, to be sure, much for conservatives to love: the doll Margot Robbie’s character is based on is a white woman who hews to conventional feminine beauty standards. She has no reproductive organs, so she can’t have sex out of wedlock or get pregnant; nor does she have any orifices, so both speech and sodomy are out of the question. And she’s married to a blandly handsome former prom king type who might secretly dream of tipping back vodka sodas at Bear Night at Flaming Saddles, so there’s plenty for conservative ladies in particular to relate to.

Yet for whatever reason — attention? clout? A preternatural aversion to enjoying things? — the right has come out guns blazing in opposition to the Barbie movie, even though it hasn’t even been released yet.

18 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

They're actually going to see it with friends too. For the second time. But first, we have a little family tradition to watch certain movies together at the theater, and second, it's supposed to be a kinda late father's day present, they're going to pay for my ticket. :)

Awwwww that’s so sweet! Have a lovely time! 

anyway, Barbie was little girly girls’ Batman, it’s at least a very similar phenomenon. Sure there wasn’t a Barbie cartoon, but there were a couple Barbie films (absolutely terrible ones to be fair), there was Barbie magazine, there were Barbie toys (dolls, doll houses, accessories, etc), Barbie costumes, clothes, hair things, stickers, removable tattoos. Barbie birthday cakes were a huge (though in retrospect a yucky) thing for a couple years in Eastern Europe, just found photos of one the other week at my mum’s. And even though most places sold and most kids had cheap Barbie dupes, eg Steffi Love, we called them barbies too (because same difference really). That said I had a separate shelf for my “nice” dolls where my authentic Barbie brand barbies went too. So Barbie was a big deal, even on the barely out of social block world.

I would never ever consider seeing this film if it weren’t for the nostalgia for my several years of being a Barbie fan girl. oh I want this film to be enjoyable sooooo much but I also fully expect to hate it. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

:lol:

The Right-Wing Backlash Against ‘Barbie’ Is Hilariously Flopping

AT FIRST BLUSH, it would seem that the right wing would be just as excited as everyone else for the Barbie movie, which opens in wide release this Friday. There is, to be sure, much for conservatives to love: the doll Margot Robbie’s character is based on is a white woman who hews to conventional feminine beauty standards. She has no reproductive organs, so she can’t have sex out of wedlock or get pregnant; nor does she have any orifices, so both speech and sodomy are out of the question. And she’s married to a blandly handsome former prom king type who might secretly dream of tipping back vodka sodas at Bear Night at Flaming Saddles, so there’s plenty for conservative ladies in particular to relate to.

Yet for whatever reason — attention? clout? A preternatural aversion to enjoying things? — the right has come out guns blazing in opposition to the Barbie movie, even though it hasn’t even been released yet.

Ted Cruz!

On the bones of my ancestors, this movie is  going to make a billion dollars. ‘Calling it now.

Holy shit. I may have been conservative in my prediction about the backlash.

And on Tuesday, after a photo of Rep. Matt Gaetz and his wife Ginger walking the red carpet of the film’s premiere went viral, Ginger posted a point-by-point critique of the film, including that Barbie “neglects to address any notion of faith or family, and tries to normalize the idea that men and women can’t collaborate positively (yuck),” and that Ken, as played by Ryan Gosling, displayed “disappointingly low T” (a baffling claim, given that Ken canonically has no testes of which to speak, and thereby presumably has no Leydig cells in the seminiferous tubules to produce testosterone.)

To be fair, there has been some semblance of an organized effort to torch the film on behalf of the far right. After the Christian website MovieGuide posted a July 10 pre-review review accusing the film of ignoring “pro-family and biblical values” and “pushing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender character stories,” it was reposted by Fox News, leading to a half-hearted #BoycottBarbie campaign on Twitter. Fox News also ran a segment on Wednesday morning with a chyron quoting a Daily Mail film critic, saying the movie had an “anti-man message.”

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

9 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I enjoyed it but it did not blow me away. 

I'm unsure why it kinda felt like they pulled too many punches.

How busy was it?  I've seen some projections of $150-175 million opening in the US, which just fucking blows my mind. 

I’m not sure what is surprising about it’s success, it ticks so many boxes for lots of people, it’s one of those movies that gets people excited and makes it a ‘thing you need to go watch’, which is the ultimate aim of movie makers these days.

Look at Avatar’s success.. it’s not because it’s a good movie, it’s because it created the sense of event and FOMO.

20 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How busy was it?  I've seen some projections of $150-175 million opening in the US, which just fucking blows my mind. 

I watched it in the OV at 21:00 and was surprised that it was rather packed.

Watching stuff dubbed is the standard here and usually OV showings are not too crowded in the cinema I tend to go to.

34 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

I made a reservation yesterday for today's screening at 21.15 and only the poorest seats close to the screen or on the far edge were available.

Ya man it’s an even worse situation with Oppenheimer since IMAX screenings are so limited anyways. I had to book a Wednesday night show at 11PM for it next week to get decent seats.  

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

For the most part I enjoyed it. It has really really funny bits.

Spoiler

The Ken sequence is utterly fantastic.  The send up of all the douchebag guys at parties "who want to play a song at you" was amazing.  Robbie was really good but not given too much challenging material as she is the sort of "straight man" of the comedy.  Gosling on the other hand is fucking fantastic.

The one thing I didn't like was the very ending as to me it kind of defeated the whole message they were saying about how Barbie can be anything but then a ton of imagery and such comes that women should be a mother, which concludes with Barbie going to a gyno.  That was off putting to me.  What about girls and women who don't want to be a mother? 

Helen Mirren has two really good quips too.

7 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

For the most part I enjoyed it. It has really really funny bits.

Reveal hidden contents

The Ken sequence is utterly fantastic.  The send up of all the douchebag guys at parties "who want to play a song at you" was amazing.  Robbie was really good but not given too much challenging material as she is the sort of "straight man" of the comedy.  Gosling on the other hand is fucking fantastic.

The one thing I didn't like was the very ending as to me it kind of defeated the whole message they were saying about how Barbie can be anything but then a ton of imagery and such comes that women should be a mother, which concludes with Barbie going to a gyno.  That was off putting to me.  What about girls and women who don't want to be a mother? 

Helen Mirren has two really good quips too.

Spoiler

Really, thats interesting. I wouldn't see that as entirely negative, after a decade of being bombarded with 'girlboss' messaging where motherhood is basically looked down upon I would not have expected that from this movie.

Is it so surprising that a legacy kids' brand got a reasonably smart, sorta-satirized movie version? I still chuckle about the "smells like teen spirit" sequence from the Josie and the Pussycats movie, 20 years ago. Hell, even the Scooby Doo movie, from around the same time, had some ironic, self-aware moments.

Edited by DanteGabriel