Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

Watched episode 3, and I am still down on the show though not as much as I was last week. I think @karaddin really nailed it in the last thread - we just don't know this zen!Ahsoka - and to a lesser degree wooden!Hera - and combining that with the shift to live action just gives this show a dissonance. It doesn't feel like a show about Ahsoka because Ahsoka the character is unrecognizable, to me anyways. 

I was really worried about that, and I am super bummed it seems to be going that way. I might have to give this one up. 

14 hours ago, JGP said:

Hear me you old balls fan motherfuckers—

SABINE COMPLAINED ABOUT HER PRESETS HAVING BEEEN RESET ON THE TAILGUN

GET IT RIGHT OR YOU CAN’T FLAP YOUR TOOTHLESS MOUTHS

I HAVE SPOKEN

It takes me half an hour to even start to relax if my monitor or chair has been moved like 1mm. Her presets probably included the chair, no wonder it took her a minute or two.

I actually like the fact that it’s not the exact same ahsoka we knew years ago…people are complex and change over the course of a life and i like that element of nuance and realism. Having her be the exact same person for years without any growth would’ve come across as cartoonish(No pun intended)

it’s like how Han Solo was still a smuggler 30+ years after ROTJ with no change in character basically.

Change is the only constant in life….

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

45 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

This forum is like, the greatest anti-marketing ever for this show.

Believe me, I take no pleasure in it. I’m not even saying it’s all bad. There’s just not much to keep me interested. 

I might continue with it but I gotta say, if this wasn’t Star Wars, I probably wouldn’t be tuning in. 

Had an unexpected hour to kill last night so... Anyway, maybe it's just me (lowering expectations and all), but I found this episode the best so far. Lots of things for me to like:
- A bit of worldbuilding: establishing who leads the New Republic and what its main problems are.
- A bit of common sense: a show in which the heroes do ask for backup before jumping head straight into the enemies' lair is doing at least one thing right.
- It's nice to be reminded that being a force-using saber-wielding badass is not supposed to come easy (looking at you Rey "Skywalker" :rolleyes:). Those training scenes were fine. Though they do beg the question of why Ahsoka would not take one of Luke's best students as a padawan...
- A bit of lighthearted droid humor.
- A long chase scene with actual tension (because of its length). Though perhaps it comes at the expense of credibility (just how strong are those shields?). Methinks Ahsoka should have dodged a few more of those lasers shots (she is a great Jedi after all).

Live action Sabine is finally growing on me. Either Bordizzo did a better job in this episode or she had better material to work with. As was said, her character nicely resembles Ahsoka's when she was a padawan. It will be fun to see their relationship grow and Sabine discover Ahsoka's flaws.
OTOH, Hera is a disaster for me, I'm starting to wish we see as little of her as possible. Which is a pity, because I've always liked the political side of things and it seems we'll get that through her character.

Assuming it's not just me, the show may have started with weak episodes because of how it sought to connect to Rebels, and may be ready to grow in its own. I feel much better about it now and think it can be a decent 45-50mn to watch every week. Definitely not deep in any way, but entertaining enough.
And who knows, if they play their cards right, Thrawn coming back and uniting all the imperials to overthrow the republic may end up being a pretty good story. It has the potential to progressively grow darker, in a mirror to Andor. They even have enough villains to kill one per season (Baylan Skoll first, I guess, so his apprentice takes over?).

12 hours ago, Rippounet said:

And who knows, if they play their cards right, Thrawn coming back and uniting all the imperials to overthrow the republic may end up being a pretty good story. It has the potential to progressively grow darker, in a mirror to Andor. They even have enough villains to kill one per season (Baylan Skoll first, I guess, so his apprentice takes over?).

It's Disney.  Thrawn will end up being a good guy at the end and help take on whatever is in the other galaxy with the Rebels crew explaining why they aren't mentioned or in the sequel trilogy.

Watched episode 1 today. Digging the art design and my goodness, my heart swoons a bit when I see anything Rebels related. 

That said, why is everyone's acting so subdued and almost monotone? It's like they're doing an impersonation of how some folk think people behave on Star Trek. It's all so restrained, and lacking in any warmth or empathy. Except Clancy Brown, who brings Clancy Fucking Brown to the table no matter what he's playing. 

Cool saber fight at the end. Am enjoying the restrained, visually-focused directing from Filoni. It's only episode one, so here's hoping the actors will all find themselves and bring a bit more pizzaz and life into their characters, because at the moment, it feels like they're channeling all the cheer, pluck, and joy of an old, dust-covered cereal box.

15 hours ago, IlyaP said:

That said, why is everyone's acting so subdued and almost monotone? It's like they're doing an impersonation of how some folk think people behave on Star Trek. It's all so restrained, and lacking in any warmth or empathy. Except Clancy Brown, who brings Clancy Fucking Brown to the table no matter what he's playing. 

I feel the same way. Something is just strange about the dialogue. Why are they taking such long pauses, between each sentence? It's not even bad dialogue, it's just being delivered in such a strange and unnatural way and as you said it feels cold and lacks emotion.

Edited by sifth

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I feel the same way. Something is just strange about the dialogue. Why are they taking such long pauses, between each sentence? It's not even bad dialogue, it's just being delivered in such a strange and unnatural way and as you said it feels cold and lacks emotion.

Dare I say... "wooden"?

You can't see but I have a pinkie touching the corner of my mouth and my face is scrunched up and my posture has shifted to "computer neck".

A few thoughts on the dialog delivery:

In general it was the same in mandalorian and Boba fett, and slightly close to that in obi wan. My theory is that because of the volume they have to shoot characters alone and then splice them together later.

It's an homage to the prequels.

It's a problem with direction and the directors are basically fine with this, or want everyone to be asleep.