Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

13 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It’s because of fanboy attitudes like this that Disney has been able to get away making hot garbage and still making money cause people like Mormont will still consume it all , thereby providing them with no incentives for improving their SW content. Vote with your wallets people ! 

Ironic, since there’s a lot of people who grew up with the original trilogy who’d apply your above comment to the prequels:

Jar Jar … making Vader an annoying kid and whiny teenager (and C3PO’s maker) … green screen CGI … poor direction leading to poor performances from good actors … Obi-Wan being retconned into a pathological liar … A minute-old baby Leia somehow remembering Padme … Padme, an otherwise strong character dying of sadness despite just giving birth …

No doubt in 25 years there’ll be 30-35 year olds claiming the sequel trilogy was great and everything being made ‘now’ sucks.

Personally I don’t care that much. It’s basically a fantasy franchise mainly aimed at kids, and I’ll watch it.

Imho nostalgia blinds people to the faults of the older stuff while heightening the faults of the newer stuff. Empire is overrated imho and has a lot of dumb stuff.

Just now, Heartofice said:

At this point, well yeah. Outside of Andor I haven’t really loved anything in the franchise 

With perhaps the exception of Rebels, nothing post-Disney has been very engaging to me either. Even more tragically, almost all of the books released since the takeover have been ruthlessly mediocre, as though written by committee, with all the style and panache of vanilla ice cream. But, like, badly made vanilla ice cream. 

14 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It’s because of fanboy attitudes like this that Disney has been able to get away making hot garbage and still making money cause people like Mormont will still consume it all , thereby providing them with no incentives for improving their SW content. Vote with your wallets people ! 

My standard for what makes a good (worthwhile) movie or series is, first, how likely am I to want to rewatch it. Second, How likely am I to want to own a copy (back when people still purchased physical media).

I've re-watched a lot of SW. I even own some dvd's. But post 2012, the most recent thing I rewatched was the series finale of Clone Wars. Before that it was Solo, TLJ and Rogue One, and is been a while. Buying a Blu Ray never occurred to me.

Only just caught up with Ahsoka. Pretty good overall, though Winstead remains a weak link for me - even the kid sold it better imho.
Pretty sure Ahsoka's vision is meant to give her the conviction she lacked against Baylan Skoll. In several ways, Skoll and her have traveled comparable paths. Ahsoka couldn't defeat him because, as Anakin's padawan, she couldn't be certain that the path she chose was better. The final lesson is that she is no longer a padawan and thus not constrained by his teachings. In fact, what the vision showed is that she always had her own wisdom, and only took Anakin's path of the warrior reluctantly.
If they stick to it, it will have great potential. The prequels established that the Jedi were tricked into war, but pretty much everything in StarWars says they should be much more than warriors. Ahsoka growing into a true Jedi means she's likely to express a peaceful philosophy that we haven't seen much of in practice. It's fine to refuse to fight once in a while, but what else does being a Jedi entail? Given her name, Ahsoka should find something like a path of "dhamma."

On 9/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, Heartofice said:

I mean, if you are happy to be served any old plate of garbage because it’s got a SW logo on it then that’s up to you.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:41 AM, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Little bit of a reach to get from what I said to this: I've been very critical of, for example, the Obi-Wan series, the Rise of Skywalker, the prequels, etc. so it's not as if being happy to have a lot of new SW content means I uncritically love it all. I do understand that some folks like the stuff I don't and that no franchise exists where every single thing released is going to be brilliant, though.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Little bit of a reach to get from what I said to this: I've been very critical of, for example, the Obi-Wan series, the Rise of Skywalker, the prequels, etc. so it's not as if being happy to have a lot of new SW content means I uncritically love it all. I do understand that some folks like the stuff I don't and that no franchise exists where every single thing released is going to be brilliant, though.

So basically the worst of the worst, because I don't know anyone who likes either of those two. Heck during Rise of Skywalker, the audience I saw the film with, out right booed the screen, when Rey and Ben kissed. I remember it being the funniest part of the movie.

I'm not one to judge though. I'm one of the ten people on the planet who enjoyed the 1993 Mario Brothers film and one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed Highlander 2; especially after me and my friends discovered it was the prototype for Final Fantasy VII.

Edited by sifth

1 minute ago, sifth said:

So basically the worst of the worst, because I don't know anyone who likes either of those two. Heck during Rise of Skywalker, the audience I saw the film with, out right booed the screen, when Rey and Ben kissed. I remember it being the funniest part of the movie.

Rey declaring herself a Skywalker rivals that scene.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm not one to judge though. I'm one of the ten people on the planet who enjoyed the 1993 Mario Brothers film and one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed Highlander 2; especially after me and my friends discovered it was the prototype for Final Fantasy VII.

You enjoyed “Highlander II”?

:shocked:

That film made absolutely no sense.  It bears scant resemblance to the prior film of the same name that was popcorn fun.  It was random, disjointed, and clearly written and assembled by a madman.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

You enjoyed “Highlander II”?

:shocked:

That film made absolutely no sense.  It bears scant resemblance to the prior film of the same name that was popcorn fun.  It was random, disjointed, and clearly written and assembled by a madman.

Ohh it's a, horrible horrible film; I fully agree on that. I just view it as one of those so bad it's good type films. Also like stated above, the movie is the prototype for FF:VII. During lock down in 2020 me and my friends rewatched the film on Zoom and were amazed by that revelation.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

one of the five people on the planet who enjoyed Highlander 2; especially after me and my friends discovered it was the prototype for Final Fantasy VII.

You are all violating one of the core tenants of Westeros.org and I find it insulting.

As we all know, there are no sequels to Highlander.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

You are all violating one of the core tenants of Westeros.org and I find it insulting.

As we all know, there are no sequels to Highlander.

The usual caveat that the TV spin-off is surprisingly good, and prototypical for many of the late 1990s supernatural dramas that followed (also one of the very first times that a prior instalment was decanonised, as the TV show also takes the view that the first movie is the only movie). And one of the most random and eclectic casts of guest stars in anything.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

This thread is very strange: people are posting, but it doesn't look like anything to me.

I'm mighty tempted right now to do a re-watch of Andor, by the by. Rewatched a clip of Skarsgård giving Luthen's speech.

I mean I've rewatched that speech dozens of times already. For me the whole thing just reminds me of what Star Wars can be in the right hands.