Ridley Scott's Napoleon

Werthead

Out on 24 November.

This article is pretty good, incorporating Scott's whole career, his work on Napoleon, his (questionable) decision to make Gladiator 2 and the tragic suicide of his brother (I didn't know Tony called him from the bridge as he was about to jump off).

Edited by Werthead

15 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

On the other hand, there have been a few high profile suicides in recent years: Chris Cornell, Anthony Bourdain, Robin Williams...

I lost a friend to suicide many years ago. None of us ever suspected. No one can say with any certainty what was happening in his mind. 

Just one thing to add : Robin Williams case was due to a terminal disease he was facing… my point was all other things being constant, the chances are less in successful peeps who’ve made it 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

4 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Well the chances of them being depressed is much rarer compared to the people who’ve failed or have had unsuccessful careers no ? 

No

3 hours ago, Arakasi said:

There might be some correlation between poverty and suicide but 1. I’m not checking it 2. This is not the right thread for it. Make it somewhere else please.

As for this movie I’m pumped. Definitely going to see it in the theatre if reviews are good.

Fair

Very much looking forward to this movie, I might even brave the cinema to see it! Haven't been in years!

Was listening to The Rest is History Podcast as they spoke about young Napoleon and it really gave me a very difference sense of who he was, I wonder how much will come across in Ridley Scott's movie. I always imagined Napoleon as a very serious, humourless and analytical person, but from the podcast I'm now viewing young him as this annoying incel who bosses people around in WoW raids. I get the sense he would be that sort of person, very focussed on the thing he's interested in, to the exclusion of all else, not especially sociable, and but with a very high opinion of his own greatness and ability. 

I wonder how many modern day Napoleons we are losing to the backwaters of the internet?

Either way, Joaquin Phoenix seems excellent casting.

Edited by Heartofice

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yep and money really is the key to happiness. Sorry guys but in real life, the cliches aren’t true 

Wait… so Mo Money doesn’t mean Mo Problems?!!?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

but from the podcast I'm now viewing young him as this annoying incel who bosses people around in WoW raids.

Many British!!!  HANDLE THEM!!!! That’s a 50 DKP minus!!!

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I wonder how many modern day Napoleons we are losing to the backwaters of the internet?

I always wonder how much greatness we gatekeep through bureaucracy?  

To be a general today before age 50 would be unheard of.  There’s no room for brilliance at a young age in the military of today.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Is that a bad thing? Does the world need a Napoleon today? 

That being said, I too am excited for this movie. I hope we get the Gladiator Ridley Scott here, and not the Prometheus & the Moses movie Ridley Scott.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

To be a general today before age 50 would be unheard of.

A slight exaggeration. A lot of one-star generals get that rank by mid-late 40s, at least in the US.

But yeah, it's been a long time since someone like Galusha Pennypacker could become a brigadier general at the age of 20.