Marvel's Multiverse of Maddening Returns

Myrddin

35 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Like one of the names I'm most consistently seeing thrown out there is John David Washington. Like, come on.

I say go all in... Denzel Washington.

RAMA TUT AINT GOT NOTHIN'... ON ME!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

If the look doesn't matter bring in 40 different actors and let them all be Kang.  Say some unknown mysterious person (ie. Doom) made a counterstroke that altered all the timelines, and Kang is less of a threat and can be defeated, but that put control of the timelines into that person's hands.

But then you have to introduce Doom, explain who he is. I'm guessing he'll be the Phase 7 bad guy, taking over the world maybe. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Boyega is good and all but he doesn’t come close to what Majors had. That’s the problem, Majors was a unique personality, he was literally the USP for Kang. Without him you really don’t have much to go on, he’s just another cookie cutter villain. 

USP?

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Majors is a very gifted actor. He's one of those rare performers that commands your attention in about any role. Any one who steps into the Kang role is going to have a hard time stepping up.

Can’t we just bring in a Majors variant to take over the role?

12 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

USP?

Unique Selling Point

Basically what I assume HoI is saying (which I'd agree with) is that Kang was presented to MCU fans on the back of Majors' strengths as an actor, not on the character himself. Like I'm sure John Boyega can pull off a good monologue but I seriously doubt he could carry almost an entire episode of a TV show- a season finale!- just with him monologuing, and make it satisfying, the way Majors did. 

21 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

USP?

Unique selling point.

I'm not sure on that, Majors is a solid actor but there's others in his league. This is not as disastrous as, say, if Downey Jr. had simply quit after Iron Man 2.

I'm half tempted to say Donald Glover: ignore his Spider-Man Homecoming appearance and he's not far off as good an actor (his very weird side-characters in Atlanta which are completely off his normal spiel show that). He's almost a decade older than Majors though. It also depends if they're going to be leaning a lot into the acknowledging the change in-universe or just pretending this is what Kang looked like all along (i.e. Doctor Who versus Rhodey).

Edited by Werthead

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Unique Selling Point

Basically what I assume HoI is saying (which I'd agree with) is that Kang was presented to MCU fans on the back of Majors' strengths as an actor, not on the character himself. Like I'm sure John Boyega can pull off a good monologue but I seriously doubt he could carry almost an entire episode of a TV show- a season finale!- just with him monologuing, and make it satisfying, the way Majors did. 

Yeah exactly, and I think Disney knew they had something special in Majors to give him an entire episode to just monologue and make him the big bad for a franchise. Losing him is a blow.

The real problem I think is that Kang himself just isn’t that developed or interesting a character, despite 2 seasons of Loki and Quantumania behind him. I still don’t get his motivation or a real sense of him, him being a million different versions doesn’t help either. It just seems like a bad concept, and it was really only Major’s performance holding my interest. 

Sure you could replace him, but it would need to be someone exceptional to really make it worthwhile. As much as I think Donald Glover is a sort of genius, he doesn’t have what Majors has. 

Really I think they should just find a way to drop it. Stick it as a joke in Deadpool 3 or something!

After seeing him in They Cloned Tyrone I really do think Boyega would be excellent. One thing he can do well is nail that dangerous intensity. He could be a much angrier, hungrier Kang than Majors.

That all said I don't know that Kang itself is set up so amazingly that you need him. He's a very good traditional avengers villain but it's not like it is a requirement. The only main thing going for him is that he goes thematically well with the rest of the recent multiverse movies and kind of ties them all together (along with Loki and Wandavision) but...definitely isn't needed to go that way.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The real problem I think is that Kang himself just isn’t that developed or interesting a character, despite 2 seasons of Loki and Quantumania behind him. I still don’t get his motivation or a real sense of him, him being a million different versions doesn’t help either. It just seems like a bad concept, and it was really only Major’s performance holding my interest. 

Same. Making The Big Bad the center of attention always struck me as a narratively odd choice - as we're not meant to (necessarily) like the big bad, and doing slow-burn reveals where we get to understand the intentions of the many kangs out there would make more sense. 

At the same time, if movie after movie featured MCU characters finding ways to defeat each Kang variant, that would hinder any real sense or perception of him as a legitimate, dangerous threat. It just doesn't seem like Marvel didn't really think about the structure of the story they wanted to tell, and the dramatic beats it would require to achieve emotional and intellectual resonance. 

I honestly never understood why they went with Kang. He's just not a terribly interesting character, and so completely over the top and so outlandishly comic-bookish in a way that I don't really think would ever properly translate to film in such a way as to make any kind of meaningful sense. For multiversal stakes to have import and meaning, we need to first care about it and understand how it all works. The Arrowverse did this reasonably well by building up to Crisis on Infinite Earths, which is probably the nearest similar style of story, and it worked well because they took their time with it, and when it happened, they presented the stakes in a way that made sense, and also, the many different universes - and all the cute little easter eggs that accompany such approaches. 

The whole Multiversal Saga just feels like a milquetoast version of Crisis on Infinite Earths. To me, at least. Hopefully season 2 of Loki closed the door on this saga and the next phase will (slowly!) introduce new themes, problems, and slowly build up towards a narrative climax with more meaningful stakes. 

Best idea I heard, is higher an actor to play an older version of Kang. Call him Kang Prime, or whatever and basically have him be the older version of Majors character.

Edited by sifth

Just have an after credit scene with someone from the new and improved TVA showing up at the Kang meetup and dropping one of the prune bombs.

Afterwards introduce a variant that looks different. There are a lot of good actors. If you want to keep the ethnicity I'm currently watching Reacher and enjoying the acting of Malcolm Goodwin.