US Politics: Ballot Mainetenance

A Horse Named Stranger

Bidens support among African American voters has slipped all the way to 63%, he's actually trailing Trump with the Hispanic vote and under 35 y.o. voters.

Just abysmal numbers for any Democrat, with those demographics representing some of the core support of the party usually.

"President Biden is heading into 2024 with a large coalition of voters leaving him behind, a poll released Monday shows.

The USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll indicates the president is trailing former President Donald Trump 37% to 39% due to his inability to hold down the coalition of voters that propelled him to victory in 2020."

This is getting scary bad.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is getting scary bad. 

No it is not. It will be scary bad if you see these numbers around August next year, when the choice is closer, and the electorate has been saturated with information. 

Right now, this reflects the fact that Biden is a dissatisfactory candidate. And on his own, doesn't drum up much enthusiasm. 

But set against Trump, for an actual election? If he gets 37% of the vote, I'll eat all my shoes. 

17% support a third party candidate, which will never come to fruition (at least with the current crop we have). Still, its time for Biden to take proactive steps to get the under 35s and PoC back into the fold. 

Meanwhile, I'd like to see some more primary polls out of New Hampshire. I'm hoping for a bloody fight between Trump and Haley.

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

17% support a third party candidate, which will never come to fruition (at least with the current crop we have). Still, its time for Biden to take proactive steps to get the under 35s and PoC back into the fold. 

Meanwhile, I'd like to see some more primary polls out of New Hampshire. I'm hoping for a bloody fight between Trump and Haley.

I saw a couple of reports over the weekend that may point towards there not being much of a fight. One was Trump not exactly walking back his “bird brain” remarks but sort of almost praising Haley, and the other was Haley basically refusing to say she would refuse to run as Trump VP. :dunno:

One of the things MAGA voters tell themselves to support the idea that the 2020 election was rigged was: "no way all those millions of people voted for Sleepy Joe Biden."

Fair enough, but the voters who came together to give Biden the presidency weren't necessarily pro-Joe. The coalition was contra-Don. And that will also be the case for 2024. 

My guess is that a lot of voters haven't fully acknowledged the reality of this campaign yet. They're signaling their displeasure toward Biden while they still can. But at some point their dread or at least fatigue with Trump will win over.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed, and we all need to do as much as we can to keep Trump out of power. Cynicism, apathy, and despair are all luxuries we cannot afford.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Meanwhile, I'd like to see some more primary polls out of New Hampshire. I'm hoping for a bloody fight between Trump and Haley

You don’t think Haley’s incredibly stupid (or telling) flub about slavery being the biggest cause of the American Civil War will hurt her?

Its just the kind of response (Haley's) many racist GOP actually love to hear, among the base it certainly doesnt hurt her. Moderates in that party just seem to go long and figure showing your whole ass is part of the necessary stunting.

Haley said what she said deliberately because she thought she was being clever, while any ethical person can see its the response of walking, talking pos, it (slavery denial) works just fine in the pary of alternative facts.

This is how wildly unpopular Biden is, he's behind in all the polls to these freaks. 

I dont care how many are wishing that were otherwise, the margin for error for a Biden reelection is scary narrow.

2 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Of course, nothing is guaranteed, and we all need to do as much as we can to keep Trump out of power. Cynicism, apathy, and despair are all luxuries we cannot afford.

Good gods, yes. We often encounter those folks who are endlessly cynical about politics, who proclaim that every officeholder is on the take and believes nothing, it's all bullshit, blah blah. It's a lot easier to believe that everything is pointless than to try to do something good, which is probably at least part of the reason people hold that belief.

Politics is how we change our society, and it can work. Not always well, and never quickly, but it can work.

11 minutes ago, Darryk said:

What do people think of RFK Junior as an alternative to Biden? He has some controversial positions but he's doing well in the polls.

I hope he doesn't get anywhere near a position of power. I never really liked him w/ all his conspiracy theories and all. But when I saw him say Gazans (or maybe Palestinians) are the most pampered people in the world, yeah, that was it for me. 

13 minutes ago, Darryk said:

What do people think of RFK Junior as an alternative to Biden? He has some controversial positions but he's doing well in the polls.

If the "K" of "RFK Jr" was for Klein, or anything other than Kennedy, he would have no presence whatsoever in the polls. He's a crank, with no chance of being anything beyond a spoiler candidate.

6 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Im in the minority, but I think he may be Joes death nail. Theres enough dissatisfaction with both parties, that millions are going to stay home or alternatively, protest vote on something like an "almost" Dead Kennedy.

And I think Kennedy draws more of the Biden votes than Trump votes.

That latest poll I posted also measured strength of support (on a 1 to 10 scale) and Trump was also much more solid in strength of support measurements than Biden was. That is to say those voters were much less likely to switch allegiance.

16 minutes ago, Darryk said:

He's not doing well in the polls.  He's impossibly far behind and probably won't even be on the ballot in many states.  He is only doing well if his goal is to act as a spoiler and hand the election to Trump.  Which is exactly what many of his biggest financial backers want. 

As for his quality as a candidate, he is terrible.  He's never held any meaningful position in government, his policy stances are nonsense, he willingly embraces conspiracy theories like anti-vax bullshit that kills people every day, and he is woefully unprepared for the world stage.