Watch, Watched, Watching: From Scott Civil Wars to Christmas Movie Wars

Veltigar

7 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Chat gpt is an artificial neural network, it requires training to work, and it has a good knowledge about everything

No, chatGPT doesn’t really have “knowledge”, not in the sense you mean. It’s not really intelligent in any way. 

6 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

It's the same thing most of world population asks when there are gender debates

Ok I take it back, you’re not smoking anything. Most potheads I know are not this clueless. 

Back on topic, started watching Shadow and Bone. Only 2 or 3 eps so far, so jury still out. Looks ok so far.

Just because a person has common sense, it doesn't mean he is conservative.

United States of America have hundred of prounons, and not universal health care. 

Woke culture is ridiculous, the inequality by race is probably due to school segregation, American Gini index is very high, there is free access to military weapons people could buy in a supermarket, there are ridicolous debates over gender and reparations in America, but there is no a serious leftist President that proposes solutions about health care, inequality and the problem of shootings in the school

Edited by KingAerys_II

I binged-watched the first season of Invasion. It was okay, but such a slow burn that it wouldn't be worth it on a week-by-week basis. I didn't like all the storylines and the advertisement for it was annoying.

Spoiler

So Sam Neil was the big draw and his character dies in episode 1. What the hell? I know Neil has been very ill in the last few years, but maybe trying to spread his appearance out a bit.

I didn't care for the family drama of the NYC characters, the British kids were mostly boring except for the last few episodes when it's just the main kids left, the Navy SEAL guy had a good plotline but he was often cringe. The Japanese storyline was the best.

In alien invasion stories I prefer it when it focuses on characters who are in the know, rather than randos.

Anyway, on to season 2.

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

It's Sinistro from X Men

So you’re talking about Mister Sinister. Who had a female version introduced in the comics over ten years ago. Why are you complaining about something you obviously have little interest in or knowledge of?

And to bring it back on subject, I’m thinking of watching Pluto on Netflix. Has anyone watched it? Did you enjoy it?

22 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I binged-watched the first season of Invasion. It was okay, but such a slow burn that it wouldn't be worth it on a week-by-week basis. I didn't like all the storylines and the advertisement for it was annoying.

Reveal hidden contents

So Sam Neil was the big draw and his character dies in episode 1. What the hell? I know Neil has been very ill in the last few years, but maybe trying to spread his appearance out a bit.

I didn't care for the family drama of the NYC characters, the British kids were mostly boring except for the last few episodes when it's just the main kids left, the Navy SEAL guy had a good plotline but he was often cringe. The Japanese storyline was the best.

In alien invasion stories I prefer it when it focuses on characters who are in the know, rather than randos.

Anyway, on to season 2.

This is disheartening, I was going to start it soon after putting it off for months but now... I may put it off a little longer! 

Here’s my Covid binge fest from the past week: 

I rewatched the first season of The Gilded Age while I waited for the episode I didn’t realize to be the season finale of the second installment. If there ever was a power couple on tv I rooted for, the Russells are it. I love George, I love them together, TeamRussell for life, every story needs a George Russell. 

I attempted to watch Christmas Inheritance, which is a luke warm Netflix Christmas movie that smells and tastes just like anything you try to eat or sniff during Covid, absolutely nothing. It stars the spoilt dude from season 1 of The White Lotus and Clark Griffin from The 100. 0% believability, 0% chemistry, 0% charm, 0% acting prowess. Couldn’t finish it, wouldn’t recommend. (In the first few scenes you will be transported to a gift shop heiress’s apartment that has a non built in non designer fridge, an unmade bed in the kitchen and an ikea kallax, this scene says everything there is to say about the movie and is great basis for comparison to the Lindsay Lohan heiress Christmas movie that’s superior in every way possible. It’s way more realistic about its own premise, has charm and the actors do enough for a Christmas movie.)

I watched A Christmas Mystery which is a kiddy detective story meets Christmas movie kinda film. In spite of my misgivings, it actually worked. The kids were more sweet than annoying, the story better crafted than the genre average and I seriously appreciated that the adult cast took themselves seriously as well. It was a rather cute family Christmas movie, especially if one is a sucker for kiddy detectives like me. 

I watched The School of Chocolate, the contestants annoyed the shit out of me at first but I got used to them along the way. Amaury Guichon is a genius and I will watch every second of content he contributes to. It was great, I was depressed for nearly two hours after it ended. Then I had to pick another show because what else are you gonna do lying in bed all day…

I also watched Baking Impossible, this show thought it a good idea to marry baking and engineering and well, I still have mixed feelings about it. I guess it was entertaining and I got used to it after the first couple episodes, but boy, doesn’t one watch baking shows to see pretty, closing in on perfect end results rather than… well… messy craft projects? The judges didn’t really grow on me, some of the contestants did, my favorite duo didn’t win, but it’s okay because the winner’s wife had cancer (and survived) and we know how I feel about that. My least favorite contestant lasted way too long, and I would say only 30ish% of the creations looked any good. Meh.

oh I also watched both Home Alone movies. Classic. I don’t know why I hated this as a kid. I guess I didn’t, my mum hated it so I thought it was a bad movie. That has to be it. 

No, I had Harry Potter and the philosopher’s stone on in the background while I did needle point stitching today. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Watching Reacher S2, dropped 3 episodes and now weekly. If you liked the first one you'll like the second season.

Watched one episode of The Diplomat, had Kerri Russell in the lead so I figure I'll give it a try.

Reacher S2 is baller. Should be a fun season as it's a good story it's based on.

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Reacher S2 is baller. Should be a fun season as it's a good story it's based on.

How do the show runners choose which books to adapt, given that there's apparently A LOT of books in the series?

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Whatever you're smoking, I want some.

ai chatbot doncha no so it makes no sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The new Shetland, series 8, without Jimmy Perez, but with Tosh and the visiting DCI from Outside (though, of course, she was born and brought up in the islands) is quite, quite good.  It has successfully negotiated a serious difference from what was previous in this very popular series, to the change. It's working. Yay!

Still liking the new Reacher season, though it does seem a bit slower.

The latest episode of Fargo hopefully snapped this season into place -- the ladies are comin' together.

Finishing up Murder At the End of the World -- it was  good in parts, and annoying in others, mostly because it didn't have the faith of its convictions.

Enjoying all over that French-Rai four episode 2002 Napoleon, despite some historical problems, which at the top, is, as usual, the complete absence of the San Domingue-Haiti, Caribbean, North American debacles, and Napoleon's reinstitution of slavery, which included his breaking of very good generals and soldiers of mixed, or full, African heritage, such as Alexandre Dumas's father.  But never could anyone but John Malkovich be Tallyrand, and no one else could ever capture the enchantment and charm that was Josephine as does Isabelle Rossallini.  Nor anyone else such a lump of Fouchet as Depardieu -- now, not unexpectedly disgraced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoléon_(miniseries)

Edited by Zorral

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

ai chatbot doncha no so it makes no sense.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

~~~~~~~~~~~

The new Shetland, series 8, without Jimmy Perez, but with Tosh and the visiting DCI from Outside (though, of course, she was born and brought up in the islands) is quite, quite good.  It has successfully negotiated a serious difference from what was previous in this very popular series, to the change. It's working. Yay!

Whaaaaaat. I saw there was a s 8 of Shetland, which was news to me, and got super happy but no Jimmy Perez? What???? :angry:

But the rest of your comment made it all OK again. Phew. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Phew. 

They did an incredible writing job of making it different because two women, not one woman and a guy, as the primaries, but keeping it the same.  That can't have been easy.  It's still the very slow burn getting it all figured out that Shetland always is/was, which has to include why Tosh doesn't step into Jimmy's rank, which is demonstrating from the start of the new series, she's more than capable of doing, and, in fact, is doing.  Whew!  Imma not telling you why coz spoilers. yanno? Ha!

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They did an incredible writing job of making it different because two women, not one woman and a guy, as the primaries, but keeping it the same.  That can't have been easy.  It's still the very slow burn getting it all figured out that Shetland always is/was, which has to include why Tosh doesn't step into Jimmy's rank, which is demonstrating from the start of the new series, she's more than capable of doing, and, in fact, is doing.  Whew!  Imma not telling you why coz spoilers. yanno? Ha!

Yeah, no spoilers please! I'm gonna get on that ASAP! I am happy Tosh is still there, as it were. I thought she was being transferred to Edinburgh at the end of the last series before this current one? Or... OMG could it be that I have another whole series to watch before I start s8???? :eek:

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

How do the show runners choose which books to adapt, given that there's apparently A LOT of books in the series?

I read a brief interview about that. They said they went with book 11 to show Reacher's professional roots. I also think that just like season 1, season 2 gives Reacher personal reasons to go after the baddies. (I haven't read any of the books)