Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, DMC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What really bugs me about this is Sayid and Shannon.  It's like, dude, you went on what? three dates with her.  What about the women that was your childhood love and you were searching for over much of your adult life.  Not to mention all the effort the show apparently made in trying to get Maggie Grace to show up.

Spoiler

Yep, Purgatory is a messed up place if it matches you for eternity with someone you hooked up with for two weeks.

I also find Hurley and Libby pretty ridiculous. They didn't even go on their first date! And Hurley lives for who knows how long afterwards. And for the c. 60 days Libby was on the island to be the most meaningful of her life is pretty sad. She spent sixty days seeing her fellow survivors get murdered and kidnapped before being murdered herself.

I think this is why the Purgatory reveal just doesn't work for me even on an emotional level. It means that the lives of characters like Boone and Libby and Shannon are defined by their horrifying 30-60 days on this island, while also (depressingly) suggesting that someone like Claire, who will hopefully live a full and happy life after finally escaping the island, is also defined by her three month on/off relationship with Charlie and three years living on her own and being manipulated by a smoke monster.

8 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yep, Purgatory is a messed up place if it matches you for eternity with someone you hooked up with for two weeks.

I also find Hurley and Libby pretty ridiculous. They didn't even go on their first date! And Hurley lives for who knows how long afterwards. And for the c. 60 days Libby was on the island to be the most meaningful of her life is pretty sad. She spent sixty days seeing her fellow survivors get murdered and kidnapped before being murdered herself.

I think this is why the Purgatory reveal just doesn't work for me even on an emotional level. It means that the lives of characters like Boone and Libby and Shannon are defined by their horrifying 30-60 days on this island, while also (depressingly) suggesting that someone like Claire, who will hopefully live a full and happy life after finally escaping the island, is also defined by her three month on/off relationship with Charlie and three years living on her own and being manipulated by a smoke monster.

Spoiler

Agree with most if this.  I think you can make a case for Libby and definitely Hugo though.  It's quite likely Hugo never dated another woman once taking control of the island, and it's not like he had many romantic prospects in the flashbacks (although there was the chick from Wet Hot American Summer, but she went off with his best friend - the dude from Road Trip).  For Libby, while she presumably had many more meaningful relationships throughout her life, she did seem oddly (even creepily) obsessed with Hugo and we never find out what all that was about - so there's that at least.

I watched Apocalypse Now over the last week, both the theatrical edition and the redux edition. 

I still think the theatrical cut is a grim and haunting masterpiece, with the final hour being incredibly powerful. The redux version... I find it has substantial pacing issues, especially the French colonialists scene, which kills the mood and pacing pretty much dead. 

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

In fairness, F&F carefully and meticulously explained this one. You see Dom Toretto suffered multiple severe concussions from repeatedly ramming his car into Shaw's in Fast 7 and as a result completely forgot he murdered Han. And everyone else on his team just assumed any bald guy gets immediate and automatic admittance onto the team which, let's face it, is not unreasaonable. There's a kind of beauty in the simple elegance of the storytelling.

But yes I agree it would've been way cooler if Drago got a redemption arc. I mean Rocky reached mutual understanding with the whole of the Soviet Union despite near mutual annihilation, you think he could forgive Drago had he apologized.

This is hilarious. But I can't tell you which film is which starting with the fifth one. There's the first one, which is Point Break with cars, the second one which is just awful, the third one, also awful, but in Japan and the fourth one, where they destroy the streets of Rio while dragging a vault. After that I've got nothing. I know I've seen some of the others, but I could not tell you much about them. 

6 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

I watched Apocalypse Now over the last week, both the theatrical edition and the redux edition. 

I still think the theatrical cut is a grim and haunting masterpiece, with the final hour being incredibly powerful. The redux version... I find it has substantial pacing issues, especially the French colonialists scene, which kills the mood and pacing pretty much dead. 

My thoughts too. I love the film, but that part just drags and it seems rather out of place. It's interesting to read theories about why it's in there though.

Began watching the Hardy Capone flick on amazon prime.  It is boring.  Nice water and trees and sky and clouds and weather and alligators.  Maybe somebody else ventured into it longer than I could put up with it and it redeems its grunts.

I watched Elia Kazan's The Last Tycoon with Robert De Nero (and Tony Curtis, Robert Mitchum, Jeanne Moreau, Jack Nicholson and many others) instead, from 1976. It was not boring.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Since it's been mentioned above, I just watched an interview on the F&F franchise: 

Amazing, but also that poor kid. He'd obviously seen these movies and Wanted with Angelina Jolie. WTF?

Also say what you will about five year olds at least most of them have imagination. 

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Began watching the Hardy Capone flick on amazon prime.  It is boring.  Nice water and trees and sky and clouds and weather and alligators.  Maybe somebody else ventured into it longer than I could put up with it and it redeems its grunts.

Barely related but Stephen Graham needs to play Capone again.  He was so good at it. 

Apparently I'm in a masochistic mood... Watched the first 3 episodes of season 8 last night, and just fired up episode 4.  It's worse than I remember, but at least they brightened up the battle of Winterfell.  

:bang:

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Underrated actor. His parts in The Irishman were hilarious. 

"You're late"

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shameful admission, never seen it. 

You're not missing much. The documentary surrounding it's development was better.

16 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

I watched it too recently, I in fact wasn't aware of which version I was seeing until the odd scenes with the playboy bunnies. That section felt really out of place and didn't deserve to be there. I can understand why you would want to add a section that shows the French colonists, it adds flavour and history to what you are seeing. Unfortunately that section was creepingly slow and killed the pacing, so it definitely needed to be cut. 

51 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I watched it too recently, I in fact wasn't aware of which version I was seeing until the odd scenes with the playboy bunnies. That section felt really out of place and didn't deserve to be there. I can understand why you would want to add a section that shows the French colonists, it adds flavour and history to what you are seeing. Unfortunately that section was creepingly slow and killed the pacing, so it definitely needed to be cut. 

I hadn't seen the Redux version before, so I figured I'm watch them a few days apart and compare. A number of the additional scenes do feel more like odd diversions that simply slow the film down and interfere with the feel of the film. The Playboy Bunnies scene was definitely another like that, and Kilgore looking for his board felt a bit oddly placed as well.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is hilarious. But I can't tell you which film is which starting with the fifth one. There's the first one, which is Point Break with cars, the second one which is just awful, the third one, also awful, but in Japan and the fourth one, where they destroy the streets of Rio while dragging a vault. After that I've got nothing. I know I've seen some of the others, but I could not tell you much about them. 

The bolded actually desribes the fifth one. I don't think I ever saw the fourth one but it is 

Spoiler

the one where they reintroduce all the characters from Point Break with cars. I think Leti or something gets killed only to be resurrected. I don't know it's vague

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My thoughts too. I love the film, but that part just drags and it seems rather out of place. It's interesting to read theories about why it's in there though.

7 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

The bolded actually desribes the fifth one. I don't think I ever saw the fourth one but it is 

Reveal hidden contents

the one where they reintroduce all the characters from Point Break with cars. I think Leti or something gets killed only to be resurrected. I don't know it's vague

I don't remember the plot for the fourth either, just the premise that Leti is killed which sets things in motion. The 5th was fun because of the ridiculous heist, the 6th pissed me off because they killed off Gal Gadot, (that's where Shaw's bro is the villain), the 7th is Paul Walker's last (he was already dead by the release of the movie, and his real life brothers filmed some scenes to allow for a touching conclusion to the character), and 8th is the one with Charlize Theron as the villain, and Shaw is now a good guy, and his bro, too, and they drive cars on ice. And Dom's baby moma is murdered, which I think results in more female characters (among the good guys) to have been killed off than male. So yeah...

I've only seen each of these movies once in their entirety.

Archived