Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

14 hours ago, mormont said:

Watched Boots Riley's Im A Virgo over the weekend and man, that was good stuff. What can you say about a series where the climactic scene is a superhero being defeated by having it explained to them that unharnessed capitalism essentially creates crime by requiring an untenable level of poverty to exist and that therefore superheroes are fundamentally reactionary tools of the establishment? And where also it is clear that Boots Riley has really thought about how a 13 foot tall guy and his normal size girlfriend could have sex.

It's not going to be for everyone, but if you like it, you'll really love it.

This sounds amazing, I am watching it immediately.

Watched Infinity Pool. About what you’d expect from a Cronenberg film (either of them). Interesting concept, and needless to say - pretty fucked up.

Mia Goth continues to be absolutely fantastic in everything I see her in. Can’t wait for MaXXXine.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Mia Goth continues to be absolutely fantastic in everything I see her in. Can’t wait for MaXXXine.

Yeah, I watched Pearl last night and was thinking how good she’s been in the few things I’ve seen her in. Just her acting in the ending credits scene alone was impressive and weirdly mesmerizing.

Watched a couple of things this week.

Covenant , that Guy Ritchie movie that was on Amazon about the translator in Afghanistan. I really think it was a really well constructed and made movie, which I hate to say about a Guy Ritchie movie. Really though I mostly marvelled at how the pace of the movie kept up, it seemed to have a logical structure, split into a number of acts, each of which moved on from the last and kept the movie going. Seems so simple, but it's amazing how many movies these days struggle to even do that, being over long, or over stuffed.

Ritchie's directing didn't get in the way either and he did a good job, a few interesting camera moves (that he over used a bit to be honest) and some indulgent moments aside I think it was quite restrained. 

Highly enjoyable, but it also made me realise there are quite a few of these US warzone movies around that all feel very similar, like Lone Survivor or 12 Strong, that are all pretty competent and decent but not great works of art. I'd also include Hurt Locker in that category.. yet it won an oscar for some reason. 

Otherwise as for something lighter, I watched an Aussie comedy series, Colin from Accounts, which was really great, funny and grounded and really gets you hooked on the characters. Watched the whole thing and I miss that little crippled dog already.

Edited by Heartofice

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Watching Breaking Bad for the second time. Walter White has to be one of the biggest wankers ever put on screen. And poor Hank. The Heisenberg-madness is really starting to kick in. 

Yeah he's absolutely awful. Never could understand how people could wish him success. 

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah he's absolutely awful. Never could understand how people could wish him success. 

Took me a while to notice first time round. But upon rewatch, right from the off, you see what a terrible person he is. 

18 minutes ago, Relic said:

Probably because the way the show sets his narrative up from the start is as the underdog, the Everyman who let his life slip away and is gonna live up to his potential, no matter how terrible that was. 

Im sure on rewatch it becomes more obvious he’s awful but watching it from the beginning I was totally backing him until maybe the 4th season

24 minutes ago, Relic said:

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Probably because the way the show sets his narrative up from the start is as the underdog, the Everyman who let his life slip away and is gonna live up to his potential, no matter how terrible that was. 

Im sure on rewatch it becomes more obvious he’s awful but watching it from the beginning I was totally backing him until maybe the 4th season

Hmmm.  I was wishing Mike and Gus would kill him by that time.  He is sympathetic in the first handful of episodes, I'm sure everyone fist pumped when he blew up the dudebro's car at the gas station and when he blew up Tuco's building.  There was a vein of sympathy that remained for a long time, but he was pretty obviously an asshole from early on,

Edited by Cas Stark

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

He murdered Jane in season 2. The first time that episode aired it was pretty obvious that WW was a giant PoS. 

Edited by Relic

Watched the Michael J Fox documentary ‘Still’ on Apple + TV the other day and really, really enjoyed it. My Nan has Parkinson’s so it’s nice to watch something that isn’t 100% doom & gloom. Fox is so naturally funny, he’s definitely kept an excellent sense of humour and seems to have a lovely family. I found it quite uplifting tbh. 

On 6/26/2023 at 11:42 AM, Mark Antony said:

Baby Billy Freeman is the best character on tv. 

Co-signed. Every time Baby Billy's on the screen, it just elevates the whole show. Goggins can say the most inane stuff and I can't help but laugh.

I have to say, Judy's and BJ's wedding .... uh, portrait, painted as if they were Adam and Eve? Hilarious! And reminded me of one of my favorite bits from S1:

Wathed Black Mirror's Beyond the Sea the other night, because I'd read Aaron Paul's performance was outstanding.
And it was, but boy this is one of the most horrifying things I've seen on screen in a while. It feels like the writers went out of their way to come up with a situation as horrific as possible in order to unsettle the viewer, without too much regard for logic or coherency. I guess it works, because it is in fact very powerful, but the horror felt a bit over the top and borderline gratuitous. I agree with the comments saying Black Mirror used to be better - more subtle and less gratuitously horrifying I'll dare say. I'm not too eager to watch the rest of the season tbh.

14 hours ago, Relic said:

He murdered Jane in season 2. The first time that episode aired it was pretty obvious that WW was a giant PoS. 

I think I was watching with an eye that there would be a redemption arc for Walt, and that even though he was doing bad things, ultimately I wanted to see the feeble professor take down everyone. It's just that it was clearer later on that he really was just becoming a total monster.

Having said that, yes people often want to see the bad guy win, I don't think that is unusual. Almost every season of Narcos I am cheering for the drug lord! 

I've always wondered why I liked Chronicles of Riddick a lot more than a lot of other dumb science fiction films, never quite figured it out, like, rationally.

But rewatching some good portions of it coz it popped up on my Netflix 'for you', well, it's because for all that it's really really dumb on the macro level (nothing about the wider mythos makes any sense, not is it interesting enough to cover that it doesn't, plus the way it treats Jack/Kira in particular is pretty woeful), quite a lot of the writing on a more micro level is genuinely quite good. Just some actually good lines and back-and-forth scenes in there. Particularly everything around Tooms the bounty hunter and Riddick's stay in Crematoria.

Plus the escape scene is just really good, albeit I already had that part figured. Of course, that one guy's bloody nose almost ruins it, that's just too silly. But what can you do.

It's almost like a mirror of the Star Wars prequels where the overal concept and mythology is obviously excellent (midi-chlorians aside, of course) but the scene-by-scene and line writing is... not so much.

And obviously it's better at literally everything than Rise of Skywalker.