The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need, or Even Want, a Thread. #6

LongRider

9 hours ago, litechick said:

Back when the movies/products were introduced, I went full-in buying a Balrog candle holder for one, an Arwen necklace for another, and a dwarven beer stein for someone else.  I can relate.  Enjoy!

There is a name for it...I have persistent problems with ear worms.  Every day I struggle to suppress various songs which torment me.  Recently I have been struggling to suppress Tears for Fears 'Every Body Wants to Rule the World' ;Willie Nelson 'Mommas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys' and ' Davey!  Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.' 

It's worse because I don't know all the lyrics to these songs, just the ones which torment me.

Maybe there is a solution to this but I don't know what it is.

There IS a solution.  I happen to know the words to all these songs.  This worm has taken up residence in my head in the past, and also more insidious ones, which I won't name as they may transmit to you via the airwaves.

Just now, Tears of Lys said:

There IS a solution.  I happen to know the words to all these songs.  This worm has taken up residence in my head in the past, and also more insidious ones, which I won't name as they may transmit to you via the airwaves.

I was just going to post something along those lines. Look up the songs, know the words, maybe that will kill the ear worm. The ear worm is there because you only know snatches of the song, so it keeps coming back to torment you. 

At least, it's a theory, right? Know the words, and the song will get buried!

17 hours ago, litechick said:

Back when the movies/products were introduced, I went full-in buying a Balrog candle holder for one, an Arwen necklace for another, and a dwarven beer stein for someone else.  I can relate.  Enjoy!

There is a name for it...I have persistent problems with ear worms.  Every day I struggle to suppress various songs which torment me.  Recently I have been struggling to suppress Tears for Fears 'Every Body Wants to Rule the World' ;Willie Nelson 'Mommas Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys' and ' Davey!  Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.' 

It's worse because I don't know all the lyrics to these songs, just the ones which torment me.

Maybe there is a solution to this but I don't know what it is.

There's a line in "mommas" that I can never remember the phrasing right on it- the one about "his pride won't let him do things to blah blah" and it has at times gotten so bad I've had to listen to the song to stop wondering.  Thanks 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

World has a new (significantly hotter) hottest chilli.  25 years ago the record was about 100,000 scoville units, since 2013 its been the carolina reaper with 1.6 million, Chilli X (awful name) measures 2.7 million.  

There is some larger question of scientific inflation which I am too buzzed to really grasp right now.

Huge increases in the levels of THC.

Enormous chicken breasts.

It seems to go hand-in-hand with Hot Ones, Instagram Likes,  the 4 minute mile, and Mt Everest tourists but don't ask me to be coherent.

1 hour ago, litechick said:

There is some larger question of scientific inflation which I am too buzzed to really grasp right now.

Huge increases in the levels of THC.

There is a consensus that the increase in THC since the sixties is largely to due to the fact that THC is/was illegal in most states. Similar effects happens with other illegal substances: 1920 average alcohol percentage per beverage in USA ca. 6 percent in 1932 40 percent, alcohol was prohibited in USA from 1921-1933.

When I was walking through Washington Square Park in the early evening, there were two rallies going on in different parts of the park: on in support of Israel and one ins support of the Palestinians.  It concluded peacefully, with no clashes, either verbal or physical.

Walking through the park this morning, the chalked slogans from both rallies were still readable.  But my eyes were really caught by a group of gyrating, vocalizing/singing young Japanese women, either wig-wearing or dyed hair in all sorts of colors, wearing a costume that I cannot describe as anything except glittery and green, and brilliant red lipstick.  Their banner-sign proclaimed they were "The Neo Japanistas".  :)

Washington Square, thus you are what you have always been.  Never change.

In accordance with ancient law and tradition, there is currently a bale of straw hanging underneath a bridge in London to warn shipping on the Thames of reduced headroom

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/18/millennium-bridge-workers-forced-to-hang-straw-bales-after-ancient-bylaw-triggered

Czech priest stomps on a display of children's pumpkins (twice)

Also a clue as to why the Czechs tend so much towards atheism/agnosticism. (Though I guess there's an off-colour joke to be had there about how British vicars and priests have treated children. If only they'd stuck to smashing pumpkins, really). 

1 minute ago, dog-days said:

Also a clue as to why the Czechs tend so much towards atheism/agnosticism. (Though I guess there's an off-colour joke to be had there about how British vicars and priests have treated children. If only they'd stuck to smashing pumpkins, really). 

'I acted according to my faith and duty to be a father and protector of the children entrusted to me and removed these symbols," said Father Smejkal, parish priest at the Roman Catholic Church of St John the Baptist.'

Nah. You're just a mean one, Mr Grinch.

50 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Ava adore.

There is a strong resentment in some Eastern European RC circles against Halloween. Years ago a priest in Poland ranted against Halloween and my sister-in-law announced that no longer would their household give out candy on Halloween, since the day belonged to the devil worshippers.

I kid you not. My brother went along with it because he was cheap. Or thrifty, or just hated answering doorbells. And this is a guy who would go out and get as much candy as humanly possible when he was a boy. He started booking cruises that left at the end of October so that they would be out of town with a valid excuse. Actually, my SiL had a personality disorder, I think at first she was paranoid schizophrenic, which turned into being bi-polar, and I think that if my brother did not agree to stop handing out candy she would have screamed at him from dawn til dusk. It’s hard to co-exist with someone who has serious emotional issues.

On the other hand, I took up the mantle as candy giver and started handing out twice as much, better stuff, and began decorating the outside of the house. I’ll do that this weekend. Our houses are next door to each other, that should piss her off.

I wouldn't say I feel sympathy for the priest in question, who is an arsehole and a fossil one to boot; however, I do regret the way supermarkets and big chains in the UK have united behind American TV and Film's Halloween, while other traditions have mostly gone -- guising and souling, for example.* And of course, it's become yet another excuse for selling random plastic crap. And for the disgusting pumpkin spice latte to appear in coffee shops. What's wrong with a decent, old-fashioned shot of rum, ffs? 

I know some people here hate bonfire night for good reason, but I love it since some of my happiest memories from childhood are from November 5th with bonfires, sparklers and truly hazardous tooth-breaking treacle toffee; I'll be sad if it gets replaced by plastic pumpkins.

* Whatever happens on the 31st inevitably seems to involve kids walking round nagging people into giving them stuff. Possibly the original purpose of the festival was as a contraceptive. Record sign-ups to novitiates in monasteries and nunneries followed on November 1st...

Edited by dog-days

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There is a strong resentment in some Eastern European RC circles against Halloween. Years ago a priest in Poland ranted against Halloween and my sister-in-law announced that no longer would their household give out candy on Halloween, since the day belonged to the devil worshippers.

The fundies here in the states hate Halloween, and instead have 'harvest festivals' and crap like that.  Kids know what Halloween is for, ridiculous costumes, haunted houses, and lots and lots of candy damn it!  Many adults enjoy the kids and their costumes on Halloween night trick-or-treating.  It can be fun passing out the candy.

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

On the other hand, I took up the mantle as candy giver and started handing out twice as much, better stuff, and began decorating the outside of the house. I’ll do that this weekend. Our houses are next door to each other, that should piss her off.

My brother is like that, he stocks up on regular sized candy bars and laffs when he has repeat kids knocking on the door.  He doesn't care, he likes it.  

Edited by LongRider

Yeah! And take all those fluffy easter bunnies and toss them into a wood chipper, you godless, motherless, heathen bastards! Stuff that figgy pudding up your ass, fuckers!

Saturnalia, blah, blah. Scandinavia, blah, blah.

-

This moron got cooked with footage from his own dash cam. His. Own. Dash Cam. I hope the judge gives him another 10 years for being a dumb motherfucker. 

You dumb motherfucker. 

ETA: NOT GUILTY?!? :lmao:

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

On 10/20/2023 at 3:33 PM, dog-days said:

I know some people here hate bonfire night for good reason, but I love it since some of my happiest memories from childhood are from November 5th with bonfires,

Lol. It’s a nerd cult thing in America. 

November the 5th is V for Vendetta night!

Fuck fascists!

28 minutes ago, LongRider said:

He probably had Twinkies for breakfast! 

More likely he's the real life version of Woody Harrelson's character in Zombieland. Deny someone a Twinkie and all hell breaks out.