Star Wars: Critical Divide (This is the way)

Myrddin

Watched the first episode. 

Spoiler

Oh boy. Not good. I feel even worse than after the first episode of Kenobi.

Everything felt so low energy and slow. Why is everyone talking so quietly?? I felt like I was stoned the whole time, but I wasn't. The scenes were..long. Empty. Quiet. 

Bad dialogue, uncomfortable mix of cartoon aesthetics and staging and plotting against the realities of live action. I thought most of the acting was pretty weak too. Too many scenes trying to replicate other star wars scenes. 

Whoever mentioned Hera having energy and tone different from Rebels - agreed 100%. SO low energy, not fiery at all 

Also, was Sabine really ahsoka's apprentice in Rebels? I have literally no memory of that, just her trying to wield the dark sabre and doing okay at it? 

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I started the second episode… I fell asleep.

I haven't absorbed a single line of dialogue (about halfway through) and I don't think I've missed anything. 

Did we really need another star wars plot about following a cryptic map to a missing person of great power?

Watched just the first episode...and the "logic" problem with a show set in this era is...when Ahsoka sees video of two Sith-like force-wielders, why isn't her first call to Luke?

I'm assuming they've met at this point, although it's a little unclear where this is in the time line compared to when we see her with Luke when he's training Grogu. And I assume he already asked her "where the hell were you when I was fighting the Emperor and my father by myself?"

Edited by HokieStone

2 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Watched just the first episode...and the "logic" problem with a show set in this era is...when they Ahsoka sees video of two Sith-like force-wielders, why isn't her first call to Luke?

I'm assuming they've met at this point, although it's a little unclear where this is in the time line compared to when we see her with Luke when he's training Grogu. And I assume he already asked her "where the hell were you when I was fighting the Emperor and my father by myself?"

I feel like it must pick up very soon  after her cameo in Mandalorian s2, given the prisoner was the lady she fought during that episode. 

9 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

I feel like it must pick up very soon  after her cameo in Mandalorian s2, given the prisoner was the lady she fought during that episode. 

Apparently, Ahsoka is set during the same time as season 3 of The Mandalorian, which I am reading online as saying means it's 11 years after the battle of Yavin. As I understand it, 9-28 ABY is the era in this new timeline of the Jedi Acadmy that he's running. 

7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

So I assume then you were outraged when Phil Jackson was fired by the Knicks.  

Never understood why he was hired, but I don't get the joke. 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

And these are the same guys who use to blame Lucas for everything wrong with SW when he was in charge but with Kennedy I guess they’re afraid to be called sexists.

Lucas, the writer and director of the prequels? 

25 minutes ago, Relic said:

Lucas, the writer and director of the prequels? 

I meant it in the context of being The President of the company that makes these movies who can fire writers and directors working on them when their vision doesn’t align with what he or she wants. As has happened with Colin Trevorrow and others. I’ll give her equal credit for getting it right also like Mando S1.  

It did feel a bit slow at first but grew on me. A lot of the niggles I have are really issues where the setting just doesn't feel like it makes sense to me, the enormous empty highway on Lothal is one such detail. Sabine was not Ahsoka's apprentice during Rebels, that's something that must have happened between them meeting in front of that mural at the end of Rebels and "now".

Spoiler

I never felt like Filoni was setting up Ezra and Sabine to be into each other - Ezra is at first but it felt like they'd grown out of it into a familial bond, but I just can't parse the way she's chosen to live since the Rebellion as anything but pining for lost love, so I guess I got that one wrong. 

Its not blowing me away or anything, but I'm interested as of the end of the second episode.

Why do “bad guys” always have Red lightsabers?

I think “Andor” may have ruined Star Wars for me.  It is difficult to move back to comic melodramatic stories after seeing what a well written, well acted, well directed Star Wars story is like to experience.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think “Andor” may have ruined Star Wars for me.  It is difficult to move back to comic melodramatic stories after seeing what a well written, well acted, well directed Star Wars story is like to experience.

Hey, I was feeling this as well. This show and the Mandalorian season 3 feel like tonal whiplash, by comparison.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why do “bad guys” always have Red lightsabers?

Sorry. I can't accept this view. If you have to have a universe like Star Wars be, essentially, produced at the same level for all phases of it, then I'm not really certain how you can be a fan of any of it.

Andor certainly has risen to the top, and I actually do agree it's some of the best storytelling that there has been in SW. However, I think there is large portions of Clone Wars and Rebels that are nearly as good, but they aren't even the same. 

Yeah, I don't know if The Mandalorian is good, but I enjoyed parts of it. 

Empire is still the best movie, but it certainly isn't at the same level as Andor in the end. 

A shared universe like Star Wars, you have to compartmentalize to some extent and remember to evaluate individually, as much as against the others. 

As to Asohka, I know I like the characters. I know I see the potential of the story. I also know I see that they have, as so many other Star Wars properties, a Luke Skywalker problem. Sure it's the same problem that you see in comic books and, of course, the MCU.  And no, you can't have Luke Skywalker in everything. That's the time you have to let story logic kinda disappear. Either you have a weak reason why he can't be there, or you ignore it. 

And yeah, it isn't Andor, but it never was meant to be. I am going to keep watching before I pass any judgements.

Sometimes it feels like Filoni truly wants to step away from the Skywalker Saga and expand the galaxy, but he keeps finding himself needing to shoehorn the saga back into things...I'd like to believe he is trying to drive a story that doesn't have to result in arriving at the First Order and the Sequels, but do it in a way that if it works, just maybe those movies can be forgotten, yet at the same time thread the needle to have things line up that way if need be...

Dawson's acting is great, but I kind of feel bad for her; since the way that costume is set up, she's clearly having a hard time turning her head. Often times she has to turn her entire body. The whole thing sort of reminds me of Michael Keaton in the first two Batman films.

26 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Really solid episodes , if the only criticism you have is that bad guys have red lightsabers or vague things like it’s not like another SW show you saw, I don’t really count that as criticism. This was miles ahead of Andor in gripping my attention and I’m excited to see the rest! 

You don't have to agree with it, but Scott's 'its hard to watch this after Andor' is not a vague criticism. It's a very specific criticism. You just have to understand context.

For further simplification, and apologies if im misrepresenting Scot's position here, the overall problem people seem to be having is 'Andor was prestige television, the Filoniverse is starting to feel a bit CW'

I'll be watching just to see how they translate the animated Rebels characters into live action. And because I took out a Disney sub to watch OMitB. Not hugely hopeful since I often prefer animation to la, but it should still be interesting.