Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Been on a horror kick lately and getting some recommendations from r/horror. 

Anything for Jackson was the first rec that I actually watched and I loved it. I’m a sucker for demon possession movies done right and this one worked, and was actually original. 

I rewatched A Dark Song for the first time since it came out. A real slow burn but very impressive with what they got out of the actors and budget. Not for everyone but I think it’s solid.

I also rewatched The Blackcoat’s Daughter. I legitimately love this movie. The atmosphere and sense of dread throughout is great. This one is also a slow burn but absolutely delivers in the end. I’ve watched it with a few people who loathe it though. Another not for everyone I guess.

I might have to see if I can find the other two films you mentioned, because I absolutely love The Blackcoat’s Daughter. Such a great film, and it lends itself well to repeat viewings. 

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Korean sci-fi, The Silent Sea, on Netflix is kinda good. Two episodes in, and really enjoying it. 

I really enjoyed it. Doona is growing on me (I see she'll be in Rebel moon as well), she's quite good.

I was a bit skeptical of the ending, but it's not too bad.

Finished a rewatch of Justified.  Still enjoyed it as much the second time around. I can't decide if I like it that 

Spoiler

Wynn Duffy got all the money and basically got off scott free.  I kept waiting for the scene where he bites it but it never came.

Also just doesn't make sense

Spoiler

Why does no one question where Loretta McCready got all her money? We know how but the IRS and IDK the Marshall service should be looking into it since it was drug money. Here's this orphan who suddenly buys her own home and starts buying up property in plain sight.

All in all a really good series. The first episode and last episodes are close to perfect.

We dug coal together

Watched season 1 of Invasion, as well as the first episode of season 2, and found this show terrible.

It's a slow buildup to nothing, with a lot of emotional moments with characters it's hard to care for, because they act irrationally half the time and don't contribute much to the actual plot (save Mitsuko). Also, there's about one plothole per episode on average.
First episode of season 2 is what I was expecting from the show in season 1, but it's a bit late now - I don't believe I will keep watching.

Been rewatching The Office these past few weeks. Nearly done with season 8. Man this series really goes down hill in the later seasons. Dwight and Jim are the only characters keeping the show alive. 

I watched the first episode of The Diplomat and I won't bother watching another one. Really like Keri Russell from The Americans and Rufus Sewell is great too.. but it's a show that has little to get you hooked, it was all very 'bleh' and totally unexceptional.

What wasn't unexceptional however was the first episode of I'm a Virgo which really seems to have gone under the radar, hidden as it is on Amazon Prime. It looks great, has a really quirky vibe and just immediately had me hooked from the minute I saw the massive headed baby.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Its been days since that older one locked up. What happened to you people?

Not me again I know but I just finished the Sopranos. I just had to post

Hide contents

I like to think they died

Spoiler

I like to think they just carried on with their lives and our view of that was just cut off and we'll never know because we have stopped watching them.

I've been watching From and I have to say I find the opening credits fairly weak including the theme. It would never make it into my TV Themes playlist. Bit of a mixed bag with the performances too. Whatshername who was in The Affair is middling. I'm still enjoying it though...

25 minutes ago, Isis said:
  Hide contents

I like to think they just carried on with their lives and our view of that was just cut off and we'll never know because we have stopped watching them.

I've been watching From and I have to say I find the opening credits fairly weak including the theme. It would never make it into my TV Themes playlist. Bit of a mixed bag with the performances too. Whatshername who was in The Affair is middling. I'm still enjoying it though...

Spoiler

David Chase slipped up and said the "death scene" once on a show apparently. Finished it with a literal "fuck off" to further questions. And the scene was just too tense to let them off the hook. Maybe Meadow escapes. That's all.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:
  Hide contents

David Chase slipped up and said the "death scene" once on a show apparently. Finished it with a literal "fuck off" to further questions. And the scene was just too tense to let them off the hook. Maybe Meadow escapes. That's all.

Spoiler

I have looked at it from multiple ways over the years. I don't have super strong feelings about it. Either it's a death scene and we are not made to look at it (intentionally) or it's a cut off to the story...I don't mind either way. 

13 hours ago, sifth said:

Been rewatching The Office these past few weeks. Nearly done with season 8. Man this series really goes down hill in the later seasons. Dwight and Jim are the only characters keeping the show alive. 

This guy really does nail when it started it’s decline (even before Carell left). 

That said, I do enjoy Spader’s Robert California though. 

My wife and I went to see Army of Darkness at Harkins' Turn Back Tuesday last night.

Neither of us watches horror films, so we had never seen it (and the previews for other horror films prior to the main feature were awful), but one of her co-workers gushed about how tremendous it was.

It is a Dino de Laurentiis production, so that should tell you everything you need to know about the production quality.  However, Raimi was a good director and had a good feel for how to film a comedy in the guise of a horror film.  Apparently this is the third and final installment of a series, but I don't feel the need to see the first two.

Bruce Campbell is pretty funny throughout, wildly hamming it up on every opportunity.  Otherwise, this is a reminder of just how threadbare the plot and characters of a movie made in the 1980s could be, and yet still be considered successful.  Still, I watch a film like that, and I can't help but think how there are books and novellas that could have been made into films if Hollywood was willing to finance anything more complex than a comic book.

Edited by Wilbur
added links

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I watched the first episode of The Diplomat and I won't bother watching another one. Really like Keri Russell from The Americans and Rufus Sewell is great too.. but it's a show that has little to get you hooked, it was all very 'bleh' and totally unexceptional.

You might give it another episode or two, if I recall, I found the first episode kinda lackluster, but it picked up.  It was nice seeing Keri Russel acting as someone who isn't totally reprehensible.  I went straight into it from binging the Americans and she is someone you can just love to hate, what an awful person.  (The character, not the actress of course)

Spoiler

I was a bit surprised that they didn't get any sort of comeuppance at the end.  I expected the KGB to either kill them when they crossed over, Joe Pesci in Goodfellas style, or to become deeply disillusioned seeing how their workers paradise was a Potemkin village.  

Edited by horangi

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

This guy really does nail when it started it’s decline (even before Carell left). 

That said, I do enjoy Spader’s Robert California though. 

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

I started season 9 earlier this morning. I only ever saw the very beginning and very end of the final season, so the middle will be a complete surprise, but I heard it was horrible. A close friend told me, they completely destroy Any's character in season 9 and basically ruin all of his development, which is sad, because he was becoming very likeable.

Edited by sifth

3 hours ago, Isis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have looked at it from multiple ways over the years. I don't have super strong feelings about it. Either it's a death scene and we are not made to look at it (intentionally) or it's a cut off to the story...I don't mind either way. 

Spoiler

I concur. Though if it had a spinoff like BCS to BrBa to provide closure like Jimmy/Saul did... never mind, I've enough good content untouched on my plate to worry about nonexistent shows

Raise the Red Lantern.  I thought it was a rewatch , but turns out I had never seen it.  Loved it, though I'm assuming some large part of the symbolism must have gone over my head as an American because I didn't see anything direct or sufficient enough that should have caused the Chinese gov. to ban it when it came out in 1990.  That's all I got.

The first three episode of final season of Ragnarok - NF.  It's even more bonkers-comic, while also very smart, and wide-ranging satirical in this massively, understated, Norwegian/Scandinavian way than the first two seasons.  Which feels more than familiar to me still, despite not living with 'those people' for so long now.  I admire this show so much, just beginning with its choice to use the end of the world Ragnarok war of Norse mythology and the gods as a paradigm for both climate crash and capitalism.  As said, this is just the start.  Having several of the gods be adolescents with the h.s. dramady shyte going on too, is another element that fuses seamlessly with this set-up. Even though, to be honest, the actors are too old to pass successfully as adolescents. 

My favorite character remains Thor's and Loki's mom.

Edited by Zorral