Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

11 hours ago, horangi said:

I am in the minority

Hated that.

However, the first 3 episodes of One Piece are more establishment, particularly the first one, as the characters are introduced -- then it gets going great gunz, as well as giving us more information as to who the characters are.  At least for this watcher. But to my own astonishment I found myself liking it already by the end of the first episode. :dunno: Liked it more and more as it continued.

My main recent binge viewing has been (AppleTV's) Isaac Asimovs "Foundation", its visually fantastic and the story keeps you wanting more.

Took a break from that midway through S2 to watch the "Blue Zones" mini series on Netflix. Good stuff as well, lots of food for thought on the right way for living long and healthy.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Finally got to the second season of Carnival Row. I thought Season 1 was surprisingly decent, but had been avoiding Season 2 because it sounds like production was a total nightmare.

Halfway through, and it's pretty good, especially the whole storyline in the Pact with the revolution and how that upsets the apple cart of what's going on the Burgh. Orlando Bloom is still a bit We Have Tom Hardy At Home, but the rest of the cast is excellent and it's just refreshing to have an original, not-adapted-from-anything fantasy show for TV. No idea if they wrapped it up well before cancellation though, guess we'll find out.

17 hours ago, horangi said:

Started One Piece after hearing folks talking about it here. I had literally never heard of the IP before.  I enjoyed the intro pirate king scene thinking, OK I can get into a Pirates of the Caribbean/Black Sails world.  Stuck with it with the dude in the barrel getting swept up by the pirates.  Started to wonder how a kid's show (I was assuming by dialogue) was allowing the pirate to smash a prisoner with a maul.  Then got to the part when the dude started using super power bendy movements and Nope'd right out of that series.

ETA: I noticed it was a Manga series (based on the Star Wars thread apparently #3 in some several peoples minds of being the most influential all time!) and something of a victory after Cowboy Bebop failed?  I thought the Cowboy Bebop live series was quite decent, but apparently I am in the minority

I thought One Piece was very good, but it certainly wasn't a colossal improvement on the live-action Cowboy Bebop (although I think it was more consistent). The big difference I think is that One Piece has stronger casting across the board: Bebop did a good job with the older Spike, but the guy playing Vicious was badly, badly miscast and that just dragged things down whenever he was about, which became a problem as he had way more screen time than in the anime. The episodes where he wasn't the focus were much better. Julia was also a much-improved character in the live-action show.

One Piece does appear to be the biggest-selling manga franchise of all time (it's right on Harry Potter's heels and right now is massively outselling it, so could overtake it to be the biggest SFF printed series of all time), although its critical reception seems to be a fair bit more varied. It does seem to be generally very respected. I also haven't watched the anime yet, mainly because there's a thousand episodes. Okay, they're less than half the length of a regular episode of TV, but that's still a monstrous amount of content to even think about tackling (it's significantly longer than Supernatural, for example, but not quite as much as watching every Star Trek TV episode ever). Also, it's only on Crunchyroll, so I'd have to sub for just one show which is not something I really want to do right now.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

2 week free trial, you can do it!

I remember I had to do that for Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood when they announced it was leaving Amazon in ten days when I was only ten episodes in. I had to watch 54 episodes in ten days which was a lot. Fortunately it was in lockdown so it was doable, but I don't want to do that again (and doing such a marathon would still leave you barely 5% of the way through One Piece!).

Watched Bottoms, a highschool lesbian / fight club comedy co-starring Rachel Sennott (from Bodies Bodies Bodies and The Idol) and Ayo Edebiri (The Bear).  Sennott also co-wrote it with the director.  It's quite a standard structure, beat for beat you've seen a dozen times before, and then the climax is insane.  I was asking WHAT AM I WATCHING?  HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?  I think with this genre of film at least the emotions of growing up a confused teenager should feel real, but there is no sense of actual consequence for any character's actions, and reconciliations happen without any sense of real introspection having happened, merely propelled by necessity of the plot.  On the other hand it is quite funny and has a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes so clearly appealing to people.  It's completely absurd.  Was hoping for a Mean Girls, got something less than a Booksmart instead. 

Edited by SpaceChampion

Don't know anything about the source material [sorry @Zorral] but the end to the latest episode of The Changeling sent me, goosebumps and all.

Also really digging the back and forth and inbetween narrative structure. Great little gem, imo.

Edited by JGP

13 hours ago, JGP said:

the end to the latest episode of The Changeling sent me, goosebumps and all.

Glad you are enjoying it -- it's not that easy to find productions that can provide that these days, it seems.  So we do value what does!

54 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Glad you are enjoying it -- it's not that easy to find productions that can provide that these days, it seems.  So we do value what does!

Yuss. 

I have no idea how close it's adhering to the source material, but maybe the show would be a better experience for you than the book? Some of the performances are outstanding.

The witches of the Sabrina The Teenage Witch universe are far more powerful than I remember. Also masters of gaslighting. No real ethics whatsoever.:D

Salem is the best though. The puppet is some kind of uncanny cat valley horror(still better than the Cats movie obviously).

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

2 hours ago, JGP said:

maybe the show would be a better experience for you than the book?

The horror genre has zero charms for me, no matter how good it is.  I have watched the good ones in the past, but now, in this ultra horror real world in which we live, I cannot stomach it, anymore than most genres and much else besides.  

This means, you bet, that finding escapist entertainment is very difficult, particularly as ultra violence for its own sake, degradation and humiliation of women and children and others, tend to be a big part of that.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:18 PM, Luzifer's right hand said:

The first season of Sabrina The Teenage Witch just showed up on Paramount+ here.

Nostalgia mode activated!

43 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The witches of the Sabrina The Teenage Witch universe are far more powerful than I remember. Also masters of gaslighting. No real ethics whatsoever.:D

Salem is the best though. The puppet is some kind of uncanny cat valley horror(still better than the Cats movie obviously).

When I had Prime Video last year I belatedly discovered they had the entire series on Prime. Sadly halfway through I got the dreaded message that it was leaving the platform soon. So naturally I had some very late nights binge watching the rest of the series.

I still have a weirdly clear memory of sitting down to watch the final episode of this with my mam. I was only 7 at the time I believe but I remember it very clearly because we made pizza from scratch and bought a bag of sweets so we could sit down and enjoy it together.

In summary, yes, nostalgia

Also caught up on OMitB. Its a very bingeable show. I think season 1 was probably the best of the three seasons so far, followed by 3 then 2. One of the recurring bits that gets me every time, as someone who listens to too many podcasts, is the adverts that they usually tack onto the end of a dramatic Cinda Canning moment. The squarespace one had me laughing out loud through the credits.

Also Cinda Canning/Tina Fey in general just makes me laugh every time she's on screen, solid casting and performance there.

This season 

Spoiler

Meryl Streep has been a great addition, loved her performance. No disrespect to the three leads who are fine in their performances, but she really just acts circles around them.

I'm terrible at working out what actually happened but we have two episodes left so it clearly wasn't Loretta and Dickie (which was my suspicion from the start so I should have known that was wrong). Or there's a twist coming, and Dickie did kill Ben but there was more to it.

Tobert is surely involved, somehow, but I have 0 guesses as to how or why.

8 minutes ago, HexMachina said:

When I had Prime Video last year I belatedly discovered they had the entire series on Prime. Sadly halfway through I got the dreaded message that it was leaving the platform soon. So naturally I had some very late nights binge watching the rest of the series.

I still have a weirdly clear memory of sitting down to watch the final episode of this with my mam. I was only 7 at the time I believe but I remember it very clearly because we made pizza from scratch and bought a bag of sweets so we could sit down and enjoy it together.

In summary, yes, nostalgia

It was on prime here for a while too IIRC but only dubbed. :crying: