Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

It’s been a long time but I’m pretty sure ‘Force sensitive’ is a term that was spawned from the TTRPG and was a requirement to be able to use a lightsaber without almost immediately self amputating.  I believe it was also something that was determined at character generation - we never got to a point that could change it so my assumption is that it was a constant. 

I realize that it’s not canon but it explains a lot. 

18 minutes ago, hauberk said:

It’s been a long time but I’m pretty sure ‘Force sensitive’ is a term that was spawned from the TTRPG and was a requirement to be able to use a lightsaber without almost immediately self amputating.  

Since Lightsaber wounds, including those that go directly through your chest, are now seemingly nothing more than minor flesh wounds, you could potentially have any old idiot use a lightsaber, and if they cut themselves, well that's fine.

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Since Lightsaber wounds, including those that go directly through your chest, are now seemingly nothing more than minor flesh wounds, you could potentially have any old idiot use a lightsaber, and if they cut themselves, well that's fine.

Seriously…what’s with the lack of amputations in the Disney SW? We need at least one limb hacked off/decapitation per trilogy :P

I was fine with the episode.  Agree with everyone's general gripes about wooden Hera and the fact that the chase scene seemed to go on for too long, but it was a good side episode that seems to set us up for where we are going.

I must say that I didn't like resetting Sabine to ANH Luke level of unfamiliarity with a tailgun.  For all the flaws in her Jedi training which is obviously a new and difficult challenge, the gal is a Mandalorian with extensive experience in space combat!!!!

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

So Sabine is an 18, Anakin was a 458 in AotC, but then his powers doubled so he was 916 in RotS.

Carry on.

But the real question is: with this time period being after balance was restored to the Force, there is more Force to go around.

So, by taking the official 11.38 multiplier into account, a Post-Battle of Endor midiclorian count of 18 is more like a 204 pre-Fall of the Jedi. Sabine would've easily been recruited as a Padawan.

/watches the grenade roll into the forum and counts down.

1 hour ago, hauberk said:

It’s been a long time but I’m pretty sure ‘Force sensitive’ is a term that was spawned from the TTRPG and was a requirement to be able to use a lightsaber without almost immediately self amputating.

I suspect that's right. Man, I loved the WEG era of things -- loved their sourcebooks, it added depth to the setting as they fleshed out things from the EU and films.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I must say that I didn't like resetting Sabine to ANH Luke level of unfamiliarity with a tailgun.  For all the flaws in her Jedi training which is obviously a new and difficult challenge, the gal is a Mandalorian with extensive experience in space combat!!!!

The scene was more about her and Ahsoka being in tune with each other, than about Sabine's skills as a gunner, but it was a bit of an "eh?" moment. I suppose soldiers can get rusty if they don't practice and by all accounts it appears Sabine spent several years on Lothal doing nothing. After all, she had put away her armor.

39 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It’s REPRESSION, Man!!!

Come see the violence inherent in the system!!! Come see the violence in the system!!! The Jedi’s midi-clorian based admissions review are repressing me…  I’m being repressed!

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Come see the violence inherent in the system!!! Come see the violence in the system!!! The Jedi’s midi-clorian based admissions review are repressing me…  I’m being repressed!

You don't become a Jedi just because some funny-speaking dude threw a lightsaber at you! 

My headcanon was always that lightsabers would be a useless weapon in the hands of anyone other than Jedi, because blasters are a thing. Like bringing a sword to a gunfight, unless you can get to close quarters then you’ve lost. But Jedi have the reflexes / precognition to deflect blaster fire, so it works for them.

Which gets me thinking if anyone ever made a shield out of lightsaber energy…? That just sat around you deflecting the fire for you. I know those little drone things had shields in Phantom Menace, but I assume that wasn’t as good as lightsaber energy.

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Which gets me thinking if anyone ever made a shield out of lightsaber energy…? That just sat around you deflecting the fire for you. I know those little drone things had shields in Phantom Menace, but I assume that wasn’t as good as lightsaber energy.

The droideka's shields were pretty strong. It took a lot of firepower to overwhelm them. The Gungans had shields, and Mandalorians have small shields, the size of buckler shields. I think the problem with shields is the generator required to maintain an indestructible shield needs to be large and would be too heavy to carry. Using a kyber crystal to make a traditional shield may not work because of how unstable kyber crystals are. Just make fast spinning lightsabers like what the Inquisitors have; that would reduce the chances of getting hit by a blaster bolt. :P

1 hour ago, JGP said:

Hear me you old balls fan motherfuckers—

SABINE COMPLAINED ABOUT HER PRESETS HAVING BEEEN RESET ON THE TAILGUN

GET IT RIGHT OR YOU CAN’T FLAP YOUR TOOTHLESS MOUTHS

I HAVE SPOKEN

True. And then it became about the two of them trusting in one another again to get the job done... it was almost like it was meant to build the characters and the relationship...a little...

Liked this episode more than the first two. Even if the denouement ends up being disappointing, I like the set up of the 'find Ezra and/or Thrawn' plot. Vanilla route is they're both alive and neither have changed much from when they were last seen.

Likely (and also boring vanilla route) is Thrawn is exactly the same while Ezra goes through a jerkass/mopey phase that he snaps out of just in time to help save the day, possibly dying in the process or else returning to wherever he's been. 

I'm hoping that neither is the same in that what they've been through has changed them, and neither are necessarily equipped anymore to slot into the hero and villain role. 

Re: training. Even if Sabine does seem to have dropped an incredible number of levels (Pillars of Eternity 1 => 2 style), the choreography was excellent. Normally not a fan of training montages, but the moment when Sabine was finally able to sense Ahsoka's practice sword felt great. 

Edited by dog-days

14 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Likely (and also boring vanilla route) is Thrawn is exactly the same while Ezra goes through a jerkass/mopey phase that he snaps out of just in time to help save the day, possibly dying in the process or else returning to wherever he's been. 

I'm hoping that neither is the same in that what they've been through has changed them, and neither are necessarily equipped anymore to slot into the hero and villain role. 

Reading this has made me want an "Enemy Mine" style episode showing Thrawn and Ezra learning to survive in the Star Whale spawning site galaxy.

2 hours ago, JGP said:

Hear me you old balls fan motherfuckers—

SABINE COMPLAINED ABOUT HER PRESETS HAVING BEEEN RESET ON THE TAILGUN

GET IT RIGHT OR YOU CAN’T FLAP YOUR TOOTHLESS MOUTHS

I HAVE SPOKEN

I mean, yeah, imagine having to play WoW with the default UI. Uuuugh. Ahsoka, you suck

Also to echo something that @Relic said previously it's remarkable how toned down they made the lightsaber sounds and feels; when you watch that Ahsoka/Vader duel I linked previously it has the really satisfying noises and clashes and for whatever reason this doesn't. I don't know why they chose to do it, but it feels off and wrong.