Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

Filoni directed episodes 101, 102, 106, 110, 113, 114, 117 and 120, including the episodes introducing Jet and the Northern Water Temple, plus the season finale. Also the amusing episode on the prison oil rig with George Takei. I think his record on the show was pretty good.

Interestingly Filoni was a director until pretty late in the day: he started writing The Clone Wars only in Season 7 (bar a single co-writing credit in Season 2), and only started writing Rebels with a co-writing credit on the Season 2 finale, then a handful of episodes in Season 3 and only a significant number in Season 4. He remains pretty hands-off on The Bad Batch as well.

I wonder if he's perhaps one of those people who has great ideas as a producer and director, but maybe as a writer he needs a good collaborator to rein in his tendency towards fanservice, deep cuts and ideas that don't fully align with the established tone (I am very much not a fan of time travel in Star Wars). This might be the reason people seem him as the natural heir to Lucas.

Edited by Werthead

On 9/10/2023 at 4:23 AM, Heartofice said:

That’s interesting, also because that first half season of Avatar is quite childish and it doesn’t really get into gear till later.. probably the exact point he left! :D

So all the way to the Aldani heist the show was quite childish? I mean I suppose there can be different levels of childness like how there can be different levels of seriousness, but this comment bemuses me.

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

... Do you mean Andor?!

Fuuuck, I need to learn to read!

[stops to check the thread title]

I'm in the Star Wars thread, good.

Edit: I seem to remember you liking Andor a lot so I was confused about your post which I misread.

Edited by Corvinus85

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Edit: I seem to remember you liking Andor a lot so I was confused about your post which I misread.

To be fair I started to type out a reply because you made me imagine a heist in Avatar in the first season that clearly never happened. 

And yes, I really liked Andor. That certainly was not childish.. ok maybe the kids on the jungle planet.. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

... Do you mean Andor?!

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was really confused that Avatar would have a heist with the same name as Andor.  :lol: 

I don't get it. 

What did ahsoka learn from her vision quest that she didn't know? How did she change? Why?

I like anakin and ahsoka having fights and it's always cool to see Hayden Christensen again in that role. It was very pretty. But it felt entirely like fan service with no point to it at all.

6 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I don't get it. 

What did ahsoka learn from her vision quest that she didn't know? How did she change? Why?

I like anakin and ahsoka having fights and it's always cool to see Hayden Christensen again in that role. It was very pretty. But it felt entirely like fan service with no point to it at all.

I'm assuming we'll find out. Or,  want to assume that.

Well up until the end Anakin was teaching her to be a warrior, a leader, and to fight, but the last thing she did was learning to stop fighting and not strike Anakin down, so that may be the lesson, and maybe that means she and Balon find a peaceful solution rather than fighting again and they join together against Thrawn and the Witch. 

9 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I don't get it. 

I mean it's a little on the nose and I feel like Ahsoka grew past that already, but what kind of master will she be for Sabine? Someone focused only on fighting and learning to be a soldier, hardening Sabine? Potentially following the path Anakin took to the dark side, somehow? Is that her part in the legacy of their "line?" She learned everything Anakin knew, and Anakin turned bad. 

She choose to both not die and to stop fighting, I guess, and someone that means not following Anakin's path to Vader. 

That was my read anyways. I am not sure it's exactly new for Ahsoka as a character, and we haven't really seen ahsoka show Anakin traits in this show, so it's a little out of nowhere thematically. 

Plus new viewers got to see elements of Anakin/Ahsoka's relationship, and we got to meet young Ahsoka (who was badass by the way)

11 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

I mean it's a little on the nose and I feel like Ahsoka grew past that already, but what kind of master will she be for Sabine? Someone focused only on fighting and learning to be a soldier, hardening Sabine? 

Good observation. Which will play into forgiving and/or being cool with Sabine for breaking her word about the map, perhaps.

Edited by JGP