Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

I liked the new episode but the same things I mentioned on my previous post still stand. In this episode it was very apparent to me how a lot of scenes on this show are just People Standing in Front of Generic CGI Sci-fi Setting and saying their lines in an unexciting way. As people have said, though, at least we're finally going somewhere with Baylan and Shin (who is a character I find intriguing, surprisingly). Lars Mikkelsen was excellent as Thrawn - I think this shows how strong acting can make other things (like make up or costuming) become less important (though I thought he looked fine).

The actor playing Ezra was also perfectly fine and they did seem to have recycled the Sand People and the Jawas for the new planet, didn't they? :P I love the Nightsisters but I fear they're just here as plot devices and set dressing. We'll see.

I watched a couple of fragments of the latest two episodes just to see how they were presenting the things I'm reading about and yeah, it simultaneously solidified both why there clearly is an audience for this and fair enough, and why I am never likely to be that audience. 

Like some of the visuals, staging, setting is class. Thrawn's arrival is frankly fantastic, almost Dune-esque (pretty definitely Dune inspired I'd think). And although I'm not sure every concept presented necessarily has a comfortable place in Star Wars, there's a lot of cool shit. 

But man is the writing clunky, and I don't just mean the dialogue (though it is). You can almost feel the pieces being shunted into the places the writers want them to be, it's not organic at all.

Ah well. More power to those who do enjoy it. 

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

One Piece is a Japanese manga (and anime adaptation) that's had a successful first season live action adaptation on Netflix. The series description would be something like it's the story of a boy with a rubber body that sets out to become a pirate and find the legendary treasure the "One Piece" hidden somewhere in a mysterious and dangerous stretch of ocean on a mostly oceanic planet.

My description of what the story ultimately becomes about has spoilers about the world building but not really much about the story

Hide contents

It's the story of how the drive for freedom can only be contained by an authoritarian government for so long, no matter what extreme measures they take, along the way it's exploring the nature of heroism, found family, the ethics of scientific progress when you know it will be abused, the legacy of racism based slavery and a lot of other themes.

The main part is surprisingly on point for discussion in a star wars thread lol.

For a silly series, it's shockingly emotional. Oda really knows how to do set up and payoff quite well.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I watched a couple of fragments of the latest two episodes just to see how they were presenting the things I'm reading about and yeah, it simultaneously solidified both why there clearly is an audience for this and fair enough, and why I am never likely to be that audience. 

Like some of the visuals, staging, setting is class. Thrawn's arrival is frankly fantastic, almost Dune-esque (pretty definitely Dune inspired I'd think). And although I'm not sure every concept presented necessarily has a comfortable place in Star Wars, there's a lot of cool shit. 

But man is the writing clunky, and I don't just mean the dialogue (though it is). You can almost feel the pieces being shunted into the places the writers want them to be, it's not organic at all.

Ah well. More power to those who do enjoy it. 

There's a certain stiffness to absolutely everyone and everything on the show that I simply do not understand. And it even wasted Queen Claudia herself, the Mistress of Sass, the Giver of Goodness, the Bringer of Frelling Joy, in a support role of all things. Inconceivable! 

That said, the music that Kevin, Sean, and Deana Kiner and David Glen Russell are all doing on this show (a Kiner family is a family that composes together?) is extremely good, if slightly less memorable and melodic than Rebels. The work they're all doing merits noticing, nonetheless. 

Also, the costuming is extremely good and merits acknowledgement. 

13 hours ago, sifth said:

For a silly series, it's shockingly emotional. Oda really knows how to do set up and payoff quite well.

The live action reminds me a lot of tone and theme of Last Airbender (in a very good way) and both have the silliness combined with very serious beats that somehow works well and isn't jarring. 

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So which Shin Hatti theory are we leaning towards, peeps?

That she somehow goes on and becomes Captain Phasma? Or that she'll be redeemed and become Sabine's love interest? 

I've seen both doing the rounds on the interwebs lately...

This one for sure. I can't wait to see her discover the Force power that lets her grow another 2 feet.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So which Shin Hatti theory are we leaning towards, peeps?

That she somehow goes on and becomes Captain Phasma? Or that she'll be redeemed and become Sabine's love interest? 

I've seen both doing the rounds on the interwebs lately...

Actually she discovers time travel via the space whales , travels back in time and ends up getting caught in an explosion during the early days of the CW to become General Grievous after they rebuild her using lizard tissue and robotic prosthetics.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

12 hours ago, IlyaP said:

The Phasma novel that already exists would make that difficult, given that it shows her early years. 

They completely ignored Poe Dameron's backstory from the supposedly-canon comics when making The Rise of Skywalker.

It is very, very clear, despite Disney's protestations to the contrary, that they only consider the films and live-action shows to be canon (and the animated shows to be a secondary tier and the video games a very, very distant third tier), and the comics and novels are not canon at all, but they will say they are to make bank.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

They completely ignored Poe Dameron's backstory from the supposedly-canon comics when making The Rise of Skywalker.

It is very, very clear, despite Disney's protestations to the contrary, that they only consider the films and live-action shows to be canon (and the animated shows to be a secondary tier and the video games a very, very distant third tier), and the comics and novels are not canon at all, but they will say they are to make bank.

I’ve not bought a single new canon product since legends was discontinued, and this is coming from a guy who bought the death trooper book lol. Unless legends is resurrected as atleast an alt universe continuity, I don’t plan on going back to the EU. Even the next SW movie I won’t be reflexively watching, will wait for the reviews and audience verdicts to come in first. 

54 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Ah canon,

I'm still hoping for Kyle Katarn to show up. He can demonstrate that the true power of the forces lies in thermal detonators. 

Jedi Outcast II still has the best lightsaber combat out of all SW games ! 

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Ah canon,

I'm still hoping for Kyle Katarn to show up. He can demonstrate that the true power of the forces lies in thermal detonators. 

They're re-releasing Dark Forces.

I'm hoping this is a prelude to remaking Jedi Knight and its gloriously awful FMV movies, which actually need it more.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They're re-releasing Dark Forces.

I'm hoping this is a prelude to remaking Jedi Knight and its gloriously awful FMV movies, which actually need it more.

First they need to finish the Kotor remake ! Man i miss when Star Wars games all had the same opening crawl as the episodic films 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II