War Declared in Israel

Fragile Bird

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Oh please, don’t be such a self-righteous turkey at a time like this. Lots of people on the board discuss things on Facebook all the time.

Huh? I merely offered you a real alternative to whatever bullshit Facebook serves up in its feed. Aljazeera has 24 hour coverage rolling for free on their site. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

You're presenting this withdrawal of foreign aid as a negative for Palestinians, and it is. But Hamas provides Palestinians in Gaza with schools and hospital care, so as a disincentive to attacks like this, withdrawal of foreign aid doesn't work. It just makes the population even more dependent on Hamas. 

Not more than it already was. And hospitals require medicine and supplies to function.

The Gaza strip relies massively on foreign aid, as well as key workers from international NGOs. Most of that aid comes from the West, and Israel has a history of blocking aid from other sources at times like this.

Israel has now imposed a complete blocus of the Gaza strip: no electricity, no water, no food, no fuel - nothing.
The European Union (the largest contributor of aid, historically) has suspended all aid.

By the time the West realizes it has condoned genocide, it will be too late. I don't want to be unnecessarily grim, but I think hundreds of thousands of deaths can be expected.

1 minute ago, Rippounet said:

Israel has now imposed a complete blocus of the Gaza strip: no electricity, no water, no food, no fuel - nothing.

That’s a very clear war crime by the way and the Israeli defence minister has just come out and said that’s what they’re doing. I didn’t post it earlier because I thought it might be being misreported but most major news services seem to be reporting it so it looks like it’s true.

This is all going to end very badly.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That’s a very clear war crime by the way and the Israeli defence minister has just come out and said that’s what they’re doing. I didn’t post it earlier because I thought it might be being misreported but most major news services seem to be reporting it so it looks like it’s true.

This is all going to end very badly.

It's definitely happening, right this moment. Gaza is totally cut off, and getting shelled heavily. Civilians are being told to go to the beach...

Edited by Relic

I think what we are watching is a mass suicide event. Hamas has decided that they all have to become martyrs, to push other countries into attacking Israel. It doesn’t matter how many people in Gaza die, they’ll be in heaven sitting with the prophet.

It looks like Hamas has the cooperation of Lebanon already, as attacks are originating from that country.

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Part of my brain is saying, if Israeli soldiers cross into Gaza and just gun down people in the streets I won’t give a shit.

Now you know how palestinian people have felt for over 20 years. Do people even know what has been happening in gaza and the west bank? 

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, remember all the international outrage in 2018 when the IDF opened fire on thousands of Palestinian civilians, killing dozens and wounding over 1500? No? Funny that. 

It takes only a moment to Google to find statements of condemnation about that incident. Why make claims that are so easily proved false?

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, remember all the international outrage in 2018 when the IDF opened fire on thousands of Palestinian civilians, killing dozens and wounding over 1500? No? Funny that. 

It was in the media here but not for long just like most news about that decade long conflict.

I actually believe that the international outrage would be far less if Hamas had not killed, abused and abducted citizens of multiple western countries.

I mean there is very little on the media about the Thai workers and Nepali students that were also killed by Hamas during these attacks.

5 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Now you know how palestinian people have felt for over 20 years. Do people even know what has been happening in gaza and the west bank? 

Duh, of course I do. That’s why I said it’s a mass suicide event. 

Do you ever wonder why other Arab countries don’t make more of an effort to resettle the people in Gaza? Don’t you think that a, they suspect anyone they resettle in their country will turn into a terrorist and maybe, just maybe, decide one day to take down their governments? And b, they’d rather have them miserable in Gaza and plotting against Israel from there?

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

To be fair, that event left the Western news cycle within like 12 hours.  

I can find reports over multiple days in the Guardian, NYT, etc. around it.

If TV is the only media you consume, maybe? Harder to say without an archive of some sort.

But there was a lot of reportage, calls for investigation, condemnation, etc. in the press, from NGOs and politicians, etc.

That said, yes, what Luz said is obviously a big part of why people are paying more attention to this -- the wanton killing of international visitors at the music festival, the hostage-taking of foreign workers, etc. -- feels much closer to home for the press of various nations. Four Americans were killed, I've read, which to me is personally unimportant but the American press clearly thinks its readership cares about that kind of thing.

Edited by Ran

Dipping my toe in here to tell a mostly unrelated story...

In 2003, I went on a school sponsored clinic abroad trip to India.  Our translators were students at a local dental school.  So mainly around the same age I was at the time.  Early/Mid 20s.

On the last day of our clinic, we had a celebratory dinner with the translators.  Several of the guys were not present and one of my friends asked the girls:

"So where are the guys?"

"Oh they had a men's club meeting tonight."

Thinking its like Rotary or something, my friend asks "What kind of men's club?"

"Its called Hamas... have you heard of it?"

:stunned: 

It was like that moment in Billy Madison where he says "Man I'm glad I called that guy..."

I work on the assumption that the Indian members of Hamas have a different mindset than the Iranian/Palestinian version.

I always stay out of the General discussion threads that are political for a reason, but I will unequivocally state that the Israeli people have every right to defend themselves and the disingenuous waffling that many have publicly tried to do for the last several years have been living in denial of exactly what the situation is. 

I know its tough to look for positive signs in such a conflict, but at least compared to earlier times some support for Israel is being voiced in certain Arab states (such as the UAE). Hopefully Saudi Arabia will not revert back to earlier positions and provide harsher condemnation of Hamas (dont really trust their government, but they appear to be critical to restoring some normalcy in the path forward)

I hate to say it but on a lot of levels hearing about Isralies and Palatinians killing each other is a bit like hearing about another shcool shooting in the US.  Kindof expeted and not really news.

the degree though is news.  Involving many citizens of other nations makes it more newsworthy to the rest of the world.

unfortuanlty any action Israil takes will either be seen as weak and thus supr Hamas on,  or other the top and drive more people into supporting Hamas and create the next generation to continue the fight.  I don't see a way out of this without massive idioloy change on both sides actually wanting peace.

35 minutes ago, Ran said:

It takes only a moment to Google to find statements of condemnation about that incident. Why make claims that are so easily proved false?

Anyone can release a statement. Words are wind, or summit. 

Perhaps you'd care to comment on the US actively blocking the UN investigation into the massacre. 

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Duh, of course I do. That’s why I said it’s a mass suicide event. 

Do you ever wonder why other Arab countries don’t make more of an effort to resettle the people in Gaza? Don’t you think that a, they suspect anyone they resettle in their country will turn into a terrorist and maybe, just maybe, decide one day to take down their governments? And b, they’d rather have them miserable in Gaza and plotting against Israel from there?

what? no, thats crazy. people living in gaza are prisoners jfc

and yes you did say that you think is mass suicide (dont agree on that) and you also said that you sometimes think that if israeli soldiers gun down innocent people on gaza you wouldnt give a shit, your siucide comment doesnt have anithing to do with your other comment.

why do you think that you wouldnt give a shit if palestinians go to israel and gun down everyone? i mean israel has commited allot of horrible horrible shit (crimes)in gaza, why dont you have a viseral reaction like the one you had with the massacre comited by hamas

42 minutes ago, Ran said:

i mean, did we have a thread disscusing that particular massacre on this forum?

its kind of disingenuous to say that there isnt a massive difference in reporting palestinian suffering compared to events like the one we are talking about now

5 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

i mean, did we have a thread disscusing that particular massacre on this forum?

No idea, but the forum is not the world and not the international press, so how is it relevant to Spocky's claim?

6 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

its kind of disingenuous to say that there isnt a massive difference in reporting palestinian suffering compared to events like the one we are talking about now

Who is the above addressing? I responded to a specific claim which was obviously incorrect.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perhaps you'd care to comment on the US actively blocking the UN investigation into the massacre.

Sadly, many parties play these sort of games. 

Deflecting to the sins of others isn't really going to work with this one, though Hamas wildly misread international sentiment on murdering tourists at a music festival.