Israel - Hamas War IV

kissdbyfire

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Many of which think they’ll get paid for the most bombastic, bigoted and reactionary shit. The first payout musk gave was almost exclusively the far right, the people who tend to have the worst takes and most ideologically flexible view of what is true, that being what services the narrative they’d construct around something.

I don’t know what you’re referencing?

“What fellowship can there be between the children of light and the children of darkness “ (respectively Protestants and Catholics),

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:
This is the type of racism that got normalized in the us after 9-11.

Not to be nitpicky, but anti-Arabic racism was normal in America long before that. I'm old enough to remember when Iranians and Libyans had their turns as pop culture villains. Though sure, the racism got turned to a fever pitch after 9/11.

(Creeping Jesus it's a pain in the ass to remove embedded tweets from a quote on my phone browser)

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm old enough to remember when Iranians and Libyans had their turns as pop culture villains. Though sure, the racism got turned to a fever pitch after 9/11.

I had a neighborhood friend whose father was Iranian. My friend's name was Beijan. They moved away in the late 70s and my mom told me later that Beijan now went by David, his middle name. So did his brother and sister. When they moved, they decided it would be easier to just change names to avoid negative sentiments. As a kid, I thought that was one of the saddest things I'd ever heard. Still do.

Edited by Gertrude

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

BBC Verify has a useful summary of the evidence, so far.

Link to this: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

In particular some of the important sources there I've not seen as easily are the the number of people sheltering in that courtyard was stated by people unrelated to Hamas. They also state that the injuries that they saw were consistent with shrapnel and burns. That corroborates well with the idea that many people were seriously injured but probably could have lived if they had received medical attention.

9 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

stated by people unrelated to Hamas

Canon Sewell is in Jerusalem, not Gaza, so his report is based on whoever actually on the ground told him this.

Not saying it's not true, just that while he's not connected to Hamas, he's reporting information at second hand, which the BBC is relaying. Still, better than nothing.

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I misunderstood, sorry. Thanks for clarifying.

Unfortunately, what we see as sense, is seen as sentimental nonsense by too many people. Based on an untested (and self -reinforcing) premise that there is an upper bound to human empathy and understanding.

I think fighting that narrative root and branch, and exposing it for the convenient fiction it is, is the only way to arrive at a solution. This really is a both sides problem, as someone mentioned. And all my rage and fury is directed at those, on both sides, who would perpetuate horror to protect their power and position. 

In that light, it matters little whether the Israeli government dropped the bomb or Hamas did, because the truth doesn't change that neither body deserves respect or support, and whatever the direct cause of this explosion, neither organization is blameless in creating the conditions for this to occur. 

Moreover, Hamas and the Palestinian hotheads have to, should (and won't coz, you know, reasons) won't consider this, as they howl for a Day of Rage -- as if they hadn't already performed one.  Going at it again, will again change world opinion, which they won in a very major way in very many places.  So, what then, Israel and Hamas play their game of PR Reversal forever.

Come on guys -- listen to your civilian people.  Retire with your corruption winnings.

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

If true, as it seems to be, this is really good news and a big win for Biden? As in, reigning in Netanyahu? 
I haven’t heard anything about a ground invasion in maybe a couple of days, and if that doesn’t happen it will also be very good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/live-blog/israel-hamas-war-live-updates-rcna120978

• Israel said it would now allow food, water and medicine to enter the blockaded Gaza Strip from Egypt after a "demand" from Biden, offering hope of some relief for civilians facing a growing crisis.

Yes, Egypt has agreed to open the Rafah border crossing to allow 20 trucks through, and indeed Israel has agreed to open the Egypt-Gaza border after Biden 'asked'. Its not enough, but at least its a start.

Not sure how they'll manage to make the distribution orderly though.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes, Egypt has agreed to open the Rafah border crossing to allow 20 trucks through, and indeed Israel has agreed to open the Egypt-Gaza border after Biden 'asked'. Its not enough, but at least its a start.

No, not enough, but as you say, a start. I do hope this stuff starts getting across quickly though, as the situation in Gaza is pretty dire.

As to Biden 'asking', we've seen these pressers w/ Biden & Netanyahu but I would love to see their private meetings. 

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Not sure how they'll manage to make the distribution orderly though.

Good point. Fingers crossed it goes orderly and quickly enough...

On a separate note, just watched this on the strike at the hospital yesterday and I thought it was a pretty good summary of what info is or isn't there.

I think Israel has said that if Hamas and other militant groups seizes humanitarian supplies, they'll refuse to let any more through. 

Kind of hard to see how the US will insist otherwise, which is why I suspect they're trying to come up with a solution that will deliver material to the civiians in a reliable way.

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

to be nitpicky, but anti-Arabic racism was normal in America long before that

That’s a fair thing to bring up, I don’t want to white-wash pre-9-11. Perhaps I should say these types of bigoted statements became even more prolific.

12 hours ago, SeanF said:

“What fellowship can there be between the children of light and the children of darkness “ (respectively Protestants and Catholics),

Oh it does track. Hell you can put it any conflict between certain ethnic groups and it’d work just as well.

12 hours ago, Gertrude said:

They moved away in the late 70s and my mom told me later that Beijan now went by David, his middle name.

A tragic occurrence that happens too often. I would never blame individuals  for trying to lessen their victimization through conforming to a cultural aesthetic, but it’s always unfortunate when they feel they must and may pressure others to do so.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Israel-Hamas war live: Israeli air attacks pound Gaza through the night | Israel-Palestine conflict News | Al Jazeera

Roads to Rafah crossing need to be repaired before aid can reach Gaza

The roads leading to Rafah crossing and the Rafah governorate itself have been bombed multiple times since the Israeli bombing campaign started.

About half an hour ago, Israeli bombardment targeted a road that leads to the crossing. We have been told that the bombardment caused substantial damage to the road.

Significant repair work will be needed for the roads to be in working condition, and we are uncertain about how long that work might take.

Sounds like they're doing everything they can to make getting aid in difficult...

'Several dozen', not hundreds, killed in hospital blast - Israel

On Wednesday afternoon, a day after the blast at the hospital, Palestinian health authorities said 471 people had been killed.

Like other details about the incident, that is contested.

Israel's foreign ministry spokesperson Lior Haiat said the death toll was "several dozen".

Israel Gaza live news: Sunak condemns 'horrific terrorism' as he arrives in Israel - BBC News

Why are they claiming this if they didn't even do it?

I saw the AFP reporting that a European intelligence official also cited evidence of "10 to 50" dead, not the hundreds claimed by the Palestinian Health Ministry. Here is one article that has the quote.

I think Western media almost certainly got wildly played here, with Hamas hoping to use the outrage to affect the diplomacy around the US visit. Which it did, with the cancellation of direct meetings with a number of regional leaders. 

4 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Why are they claiming this if they didn't even do it?

If someone accused you of bombing the hospital and killing 500 people, while in reality you didn't do it, and the real number of casualties was less than 100, you would only deny you did it and not say anything about the death toll?

I don't know if they did it or not, but I'm not surprised they question the number even if they didn't.