The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

53 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

What are you washing them in? The dishwasher?

If you saw them you'd understand. They also rip pretty quickly, hence why I only wear them once in a blue moon. They look like this. The stitching just comes undone really easily. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Found a fiver in the pockets of a pair of trousers I got at the charity shop, so they ended up being almost free! :P

I read somewhere (on the internet, so it must be true) of people who leave money in charity shop items as an anonymous gift.

Last night I got to thinking about the symmetries if the Hagia Sophia, built by Christian Justinian in the 6th century, at one end of the Roman Empire, turned into a mosque with Mehmed’s conquest of Constantinople in 1453, and the the Mezquita  in Cordoba, built in the 8th century, turned into a cathedral in the 13th C in long process of Iberia's reconquest– itself at the farthest edge of Islamic world in the other direction from that edge of Roman world.  Both relatively 'final' victories -- Islam and Christian --took place in the 15th C.

Intrigued by these not-previously entertained thoughts, I googled about this morning on this subject. I was reassured I continue competent to notice the frequently-observed-by-many obvious. Ha! :rolleyes:

Edited by Zorral

On 1/28/2024 at 12:08 PM, Zorral said:

After dreaming of the Alhambra all my life, I get it twice in the span of a single year!

OK that may not be a small stuff thread idea.  Was their in May, and didn't even really know about any of that history there before April last.  Gorgeous site though. And very richly endowed with history.

On 1/29/2024 at 5:04 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Oh my sweet summerchild, you don't understand men laundry. :D

Women laundry simple, two piles: Clean and Dirty.

Men: Clean, Dirty, and dirty but good enough to wear.  (that third pile could be further be divided, but let's keep it simple here).

I think that's just people laundry? Are people really out here washing things after every single individual use? I certainly don't, and most woman I know don't either. Ask them about the chair (do not ask them when they last washed their bra...)

6 hours ago, Starkess said:

I think that's just people laundry? Are people really out here washing things after every single individual use? I certainly don't, and most woman I know don't either. Ask them about the chair (do not ask them when they last washed their bra...)

You are reading too much into a joke, our copper got it and ran with it.

Usually, I try to not post too many sad things in here (or other threads) to keep things on a more upbeat sorta thing, however I think I have to diver from that policy for once.

Chess tales. Had a team game on Sunda. We played away at another club that was hosting another match.

I saw that J. was gonna be refereering the other match. J. is from our club, I don't really attend club nights as I only play the league games, so I haven't seen her in 15 years or so, when she was one of the kids during our clubs fall holliday trips (and you could see her growing into what the older folks a head-turner when she grows older). And no, not the dating thread in any shape or form. She was sitting there with crutches at the ref table. I noticed and wrote it off as, probably blown out some knee ligaments during some sporting activity (skiing or whatever), stuff you do in your twenties.

Nope, turns out she was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago and her Doctors have given her a few more years. Which I find very sad on a so many levels. Her being fresh out of University that should rather be the beginning of her life not the final stretch.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
spell fail

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Usually, I try to not post too many sad things in here (or other threads) to keep things on a more upbeat sorta thing, however I think I have to diver from that policy for once.

Chess tales. Had a team game on Sunda. We played away at another club that was hosting another match.

I saw that J. was gonna be refereering the other match. J. is from our club, I don't really attend club nights as I only play the league games, so I haven't seen her in 15 years or so, when she was one of the kids during our clubs fall holliday trips (and you could see her growing into what the older folks a head-turner when she grows older). And no, not the dating thread in any shape or form. She was sitting there with crotches at the ref table. I noticed and wrote it off as, probably blown out some knee ligaments during some sporting activity (skiing or whatever), stuff you do in your twenties.

Nope, turns out she was diagnosed with MS a couple of years ago and her Doctors have given her a few more years. Which I find very sad on a so many levels. Her being fresh out of University that should rather be the beginning of her life not the final stretch.

Please, dear sir, crutches.

We all have crotches.

While grabbing something out of the fridge last night a root beer bottle fell out and landed on the big toe I broke a little over a year ago. As expected, the fucker is all purple this morning. Sigh. At least the bottle didn't break.

12 hours ago, Starkess said:

Right. But socks, every use, for me anyway. I'm wearing them all day, I walk a lot, my feet sweat, its necessary for how I'm wearing them.

6 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

While grabbing something out of the fridge last night a root beer bottle fell out and landed on the big toe I broke a little over a year ago. As expected, the fucker is all purple this morning. Sigh. At least the bottle didn't break.

Ouch! 

Super Bowl-week food and beverage sales could rise 12.8% to $8.8 billion, fueled partly by demand for snacks from companies including Tyson, PepsiCo and Kellanova, according to Bloomberg Intelligence.

On 2/8/2024 at 3:20 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I saw that J. was gonna be refereering the other match. J. is from our club, I don't really attend club nights as I only play the league games, so I haven't seen her in 15 years or so, when she was one of the kids during our clubs fall holliday trips (and you could see her growing into what the older folks a head-turner when she grows older). And no, not the dating thread in any shape or form. She was sitting there with crutches at the ref table. I noticed and wrote it off as, probably blown out some knee ligaments during some sporting activity (skiing or whatever), stuff you do in your twenties.

My youngest sister was diagnosed with MS a few years ago too.  Definitely not fun.

She uses a cane.  I don't know how anyone can use crutches.  I was handed those instruments of evil when I broke my leg badly, and I did better hopping on the good leg.

33 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Today is Spring Festival.  新年快乐!  

I hope everyone is happy and healthy in the year of the dragon.

I remember taking a detailed test while in college (I was born in 88 so I'm a dragon). If you put in your date of birth and close to the exact time it happened it would give you a pretty long horoscope answer. I'm an earth dragon (and I think it said brown earth dragon). I was doing this with a few friends as they were checking theirs and we were all spooked by how extremely accurate it was for me. It was exactly my personality type, the type of romantic I am and even freakier it said the most likely professions were solider, lawyer or politician. At the time I was a political intern, studying the LSAT to go to law school and also working on going to Navy OCS. I don't believe in these things, but that was trippy. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.