Titanic Horror! Tourist Submersible Goes Missing While Attempting to View Wreckage of Titanic.

Parsons

On 6/24/2023 at 1:11 AM, Tywin et al. said:

The Chilian miners also got a lot of coverage, but this story was on the news I had on every three segments all day long. I do think their wealth play a role in that, but it also could be because the Titanic is so iconic and people sinking to see a sinking shit is unique. 

Obviously this is a different topic, but people are increasingly getting pissed about the growing wealth gap, as they should. That doesn't mean you should wish death upon anyone, however it's easy to see how people can basically be like "serves you right."

On 6/24/2023 at 2:22 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

There’s another wrinkle that people seem to be missing. The coverage likely has more to do with “Titanic” than anything else. Not that these guys were rich or that the sub was janky.

Yes, the coverage has everything to do with the fact that it’s related to the Titanic, which is by far the most popular naval tragedy as it’s extremely marketable. 
The Titanic has Hollywood written all over it, when looking at the lead up and events surrounding the disaster. Largest ship in the world, collided with an iceberg on its maiden voyage. The ship also sank rather gracefully, until near the end as there was no major list. This opens the door for a lot of drama to play it on board during the sinking, which can be exploited by various media outlets. 

By comparison, the Lusitania sank in 18 minutes, and the Britannic in just under an hour. 

On 6/23/2023 at 5:32 PM, DanteGabriel said:

A growing level of hostility to the billionaire class seems like the frog finally realizing that the water is fucking hot

A bad thing happening to a really rich person doesn’t suddenly anything meaningfully changed for the working class. That by itself is by no means a cause for jubilation and victory laps.

This seems due to a Just vapid notion of the amount of wealth=Someone’s virtue.

From what I understand that’s Something even Marx(a wealthy man himself) warned against, that trying to frame class conflicts as being comprised as good people on one side and pure evil on the other. 

3 hours ago, House Balstroko said:

The Titanic has Hollywood written all over it, when looking at the lead up and events surrounding the disaster. 
_-------

By comparison, the Lusitania sank in 18 minutes, and the Britannic in just under an hour. 

Lol okay.  You seriously think they could make a movie about the Titanic that rivals the heart-rending 2007 magnum opus Sinking of the Lusitania: Terror at Sea?  Don't hold your breath.

Titanic, lol.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This seems due to a Just vapid notion of the amount of wealth=Someone’s virtue.

Whoever claims to be worth billions cannot be virtuous.
It's widely understood that wealth means power: the power to exploit, intimidate, and belittle other people, the power to flaunt rules and regulations, the power to always get more for themselves... And quite often, the power to do things that only wealthy people can, that may or may not be dangerously stupid, but are pretty much always bad for the environment.
Insane levels of inequality were always difficult to defend, morally speaking, but it's now becoming obvious that the billionaire-class should be abolished for practical reasons as well. If you want to defend them so badly, perhaps you should be happy that most people don't go much further than a bit of schadenfreude.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Whoever claims to be worth billions cannot be virtuous.

It’d take an immense amount of virtue for anyone or anyone in real life to like to say no to a billion or two if they inherited after a rich uncle or grandfather died.

Which is how I believe most billionaires become billionaires.

Insane levels of inequality were always difficult to defend, morally speaking, but it's now becoming obvious that the billionaire-class should be abolished for practical reasons as well.

For practical reasons, not a sanctimonious simplication  of the situation being  between good guys vs bad guys.

If you want to defend them so badly, perhaps you should be happy that most people don't go much further than a bit of schadenfreude.

Eh I’m pretty utilitarian—find a coordinated action, plan even an extrajudicial violent one that has fairly good shot at advancing the working class I’m partial to support days. American unions couldn’t get the average even the meager things we have now without threatening to do some unsavory things.

I reject this notion any negative in a rich person’s life qualifies as a victory.

Such mindset breeds complacency.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

38 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Perhaps the passengers?  But Stockton Rush via his arrogance, recklessness, and hubris killed four other people along with himself.  

Rush claimed he want to be “remembered for breaking rules” I can assure him that he will be.

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Pigeon Forge, TN And Branson, MO; two towns with strong naval traditions.

Apparently the guy who owns both places knew Paul-Henri Nargeolet and was part of one of the early expeditions that explored the wreck. 

I’m fine with all that, but adding their names to the list of casualties is a bad joke.

They’re all dead, let them lie together if that’s what the families want. Who is harmed? Yeah, I guess it’s a bit tacky for me, but my tastes are irrelevant. Just the families of the victims, and I suppose the families of the Titanic victims if any are still alive and/or care. No one else’s opinion matters much to me on this. As long as they’re not harming anyone, I learned a long time ago that grief manifests itself in countless different ways, almost everyone is a bit different…there’s no right or wrong way to deal with death, except maybe those who, like myself once when younger, refuse to process it because it feels like a storm mass that will blow through me and leave nothing left, so I kept putting it off and putting it off until finally when I was ready to face it, I never really got there. Talking about my paternal grandmother who helped raise me and was in many ways a second mother…I am tearing up as I write this, but coming down from migraine/screaming babies it might just be physiological.

Anyways, she had probably the best, most caring, completely non-judgmental heart of anyone I ever knew until one of my twins took that place. I hope I let her know that…I told her I loved her all the time, but I’m not sure I told her why, how wonderful she was. I used to have almost no regrets in life; lately my reviews of past behaviour I’m finding incidents come to mind and I see many of them in a less forgiving light. Becoming a parent is a bit like a personality transplant. 

Sorry, migraines can leave me very scattered for a while, total tangent.

Edited by James Arryn

On 6/25/2023 at 10:58 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It’d take an immense amount of virtue for anyone or anyone in real life to like to say no to a billion or two if they inherited after a rich uncle or grandfather died.

Which is how I believe most billionaires become billionaires.

For practical reasons, not a sanctimonious simplication  of the situation being  between good guys vs bad guys.

Eh I’m pretty utilitarian—find a coordinated action, plan even an extrajudicial violent one that has fairly good shot at advancing the working class I’m partial to support days. American unions couldn’t get the average even the meager things we have now without threatening to do some unsavory things.

I reject this notion any negative in a rich person’s life qualifies as a victory.

Such mindset breeds complacency.

Uhhhh… yeah, I’m not sure the majority of Billionaires are such because of a rich uncle. If so, my next question would be -  How did that rich uncle become a billionaire / millionaire? 

I have found this whole thing incredibly fascinating, sad and frustrating. 

I have some theories as to why it has caused so many intense emotions in people. I’ll try to structure them so they make sense. 

Firstly, I take absolutely no joy in people dying but I will admit to not feeling too much sadness either. However, there were some interesting people on Titan and I can’t say they deserved such a horrid way to go, especially the 19 year old. My heart does go out to him. 

Rush has the full force of my contempt and ire though. He encapsulates the very worst of this sort of immoral billionaire cutting corners, dismissing valid concerns if it is not what they want to hear, and dressing it all up in the disguise of ‘innovation’ - I’m sick of the world worshipping these types of ‘Great Men’ - I’m not joyous about his death either, but he entirely brought it upon himself and the death of everyone else in that vessel. 

As for my other thoughts. 

Although I have mentioned that I personally don’t see any joy or humour in these deaths, I actually can’t totally criticise the people that do. I imagine that this intense knee jerk reaction stems from many places…

One, this sort of corporate negligence usually ends up harming or straight up murdering normal, working class people and so this could be felt as a strange sort of justice.

Two, that this is a perfect microcosm of the harm that corporate greed, dismissal of safety advice, poor engineering and design will get you. It will likely be used as a textbook example for engineering students for decades to come. There are so many steps that needed to fail to get to that catastrophic failure, in the same kind of pattern of negligence and secret keeping that caused the Chernobyl disaster.

Three, that there have been hundreds of migrant deaths at sea recently and the news doesn’t give a rats ass about them. We are closer to them than a handful of millionaires so the injustice of it all creates intense feelings. 

Four, this is an almost poetic full circle moment. The people criticising those with intense emotions towards this event as “spectators to a tragedy” when that is exactly what these disaster tourists were doing. I won’t simplify their motives and say that is ALL they were doing, I don’t know their passions or psychology. In the same way, I would try not to criticise the people having intense emotions towards this event either. We can’t simplify human emotion or psychology. 

there’s also something poetic about a new set of victims of the titanic happening in 2023. All because of errors that could have been remedied before the journey even began. Or if the captain/CEO had just listened. Insanity. 

As for myself, I have just been fascinated, angry and frustrated with the sheer catalogue of errors that led to this event. OceanGate has fired and taken to court previous whistleblowing employees who were concerned with the safety aspect. How horrifying is that? They knew and actively tried to hide their negligence. I am angry at industries, relying on the work of so many people, who cut corners to the detriment of others. Who use shitty materials, have poorly made designs, terrible engineering… 

When you compare this to something like James Cameron’s Deepsea Challenger the amount of errors is just truly astounding. 

Edited by Theda Baratheon

On 6/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Of course. I'm only acknowledging that it's easier not to give in to hatred from a position of comfort.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:58 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I don't know about that. It may difficult to say no to money, but at some point or another one ends up in a position where they can choose to perpetuate the system or not. It's not like it's that hard to come up with ways to do good when you're rich.
Also, it's useful to understand how much "a billion or two" is. I could easily use a million or two. With a bit of imagination I can figure out what to do with ten or twenty. More than that and it becomes difficult to do much without hiring people to work for me and losing track of what impact the money will have, and I just can't see how I, or anyone, could deserve more money than they can manage on their own. Probably not the place for this discussion, but rich people having so much money and minions that they can spend a lot of time indulging in new forms of tourism is visibly a problem in itself; this accident also sheds some light on the level of privilege some people have.