Pour one out for EHK

DanteGabriel

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Vale EHK.

One of the most influential boarders we have seen. 

After reading some of his stuff while I was still mostly a book forum poster, I knew I'd have to sharpen my steel if I was going to participate in the GC politics threads.

I have indeed poured one out for EHK. And for Manwoody (single malt in his honour) and Lilith, and Brudewollen, and the others who left us too soon.

Time sometimes colours memory so if you're reading this and wonder if we're all just being nostalgic when we wax lyrical about these folks, let me assure you, we're not. They were big characters with big hearts, sharp wits, and open minds. I miss them all.

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

After reading some of his stuff while I was still mostly a book forum poster, I knew I'd have to sharpen my steel if I was going to participate in the GC politics threads.

Please don't take this as me blowing smoke up your ass, but I always thought you did (and do) a good job of carrying on his legacy, the way you deal with trolls, sea lions, and the like, in a very blunt, no-nonsense, yet still informed and articulate way. 

Edited by Ser Reptitious

[eyes mormont]

I mean, let's be honest. EHK could be a prick [despite his late bloominess] and if anyone can call him that, it's me.

Which might make me miss him more, not sure lol

Edited by JGP

Yeah, Brude passed a decade ago, in his sleep. Like EHK, much too young.

JGP: I issued EHK with more than one warning in his time so I know very well he could be an asshole. :lol: He was no Manwoody, who could dissect idiots with finesse. EHK went for fire and blood, not rapier wit, with all that entails. Those four above were very different people.

But EHK was like that because he had a big heart, which in his case means passion, not necessarily kindness. And he couldn't have had the late bloom without having an open mind.

Brude passed on August 17, 2012, at the age of 40, so that anniversary isn't too far away. His roommate created an account a few days after his death to announce the news, which was kind of him.

Edited by Ran

16 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Please don't take this as me blowing smoke up your ass, but I always thought you did (and do) a good job of carrying on his legacy, the way you deal with trolls, sea lions, and the like, in a very blunt, no-nonsense, yet still informed and articulate way. 

Thank you, that is very kind of you (and I wasn't fishing for a compliment!)

The long-standing (pre-TV show) ASoIaF Facebook group lost one one of its most popular and well-known posters last week as well, to cancer. He was only in his 30s and left behind a young son (he used his real name there so I won't use it on a public forum).

Edited by Werthead

While Xray and I were driving up to New England this past Saturday to visit my parents, we found a four-pack of Three Floyds' Dreadnaught IPA, one of EHK's favorite beers.

Our first comment was, "They put this in cans now?!?"

Our second was, "We are buying this in honor of EHK."

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 3:19 PM, Mr. X said:

Our first comment was, "They put this in cans now?!?"

Our second was, "We are buying this in honor of EHK."

EHK and I pretty much never got along, but this specific quote reminds me of my friend Granger who passed away in June.  Whenever the bartender asked bottle or can, or draft or can, he'd always respond, I love it in the can.  

I was a friend of EHK.  He taught me that even if we disagree about almost everything, we can still have friends in common to bridge the gaps.

I’m sorry for everyone who lost their friend. I browsed the website and found the posts about Dany funny (in retrospect, the slavers forcing the Unsullied to kill puppies was a bit heavy-handed) but most of his stuff also gave me strong early-aughts vibes. It was like stepping into a time machine.

Sadly, I have now realized that since I never talk about what websites I go on with people in real life, no one here will have any idea if I meet an untimely end. If a new ASOIAF book comes out and I fail to comment on it, just assume that I’m dead.