X (née Twitter): Elmo has no good ideas

Week

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

Who knows if he was a horrible father to her?

I don't believe calling your child's ideas and identity a "woke mind virus" in the media is great parenting.

21 minutes ago, Ran said:

Or maybe she just thinks he's an evil capitalist.

He's certainly not proving her wrong.

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Though isn’t evil capitalist a bit redundant?/s

Now, now there are many different types of evil not just capitalism.  

What is really striking to me is that Twitter isn't just dying - it's dead.  There are still people broadcasting their shit out because that's their business model.  They don't read the replies (or if they do, they don't reply to the replies).  Good faith engagement doesn't exist.  QTing ppl to ratio them is what a big subset of people do.  Ads are much less clearly labelled, and tend to recur in mind-numbing repetition - I see the ad for vet services 160 times a day.  

I never really used or understood Tweetdeck but it's obviously gone.  

I'm on Threads and Bluesky but so far neither of them seems particularly interesting or exciting.  

We have the global public square we deserve but not the one we need.  

28 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What is really striking to me is that Twitter isn't just dying - it's dead.  .  

Can you tell the people on the board that link it all the fucking time, and think it is the only reputable source of news.  And it takes ages to load. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Who knows if he was a horrible father to her? But yes, we just have his take on why she has cut him off. Maybe she has other, more personal reasons. Or maybe she just thinks he's an evil capitalist.

No we don't. Elon has proven himself to be a liar and overall bad person. We don't need to believe his opinion has any value. I trust his daughter more. She's probably seen the worst of him and it's fair to judge his worst state is pretty awful. And he's also an evil capitalist which is public knowledge. 

There's no reason to take Musk's side in any s/he said, s/he said situation. He lacks any ounce of credibility, integrity, honesty or ethics. He's a bad dude and yet a really C- Bond villain. 

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can you tell the people on the board that link it all the fucking time, and think it is the only reputable source of news.  And it takes ages to load. 

It is more than a little bit amusing that the same people saying what a terrible place Twitter is, are the same ones who still seem to spend all day on there 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I trust his daughter more.

I don't know her, don't know that she's spoken at all in public about her reasons, so I can't say I trust or mistrust her. She has her reasons, whatever they may be. Maybe Musk is right about them, or wrong about them, or maybe some of what he says is part of it but there are other reasons we don't know. I would guess there's more to it than just evil capitalist, because things are usually more complicated, but I wouldn't be surprised that her political views are a part of it. So many people have cut off family over politics, why not her?

I don't know, though, and neither do you, so you can flap your gums at other people about your views on the matter, unless you have actual information on what Vivian thinks of her father.

What You Get When You Go Into Business With Elon Musk
Approving sketchy loans. Swallowing weird deals. Giving him whatever he wants.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/09/elon-musk-spacex-loan-twitter-tesla.html

.... The loan points to a truth that is becoming quite well established: If you are a shareholder in one of Elon Musk’s companies, you are entangled with the businesses of all of them. Some of that is natural and unavoidable: Musk is one of the most famous people in the world. He is known largely for his business acumen and innovation, although he has become well known in the past year for being kind of a dumbass in his management of Twitter, which he’s since renamed X. Everything Musk does is under a microscope, and his actions at one company can weigh on the fortunes of another company. If you found him obnoxious when he took over Twitter, you might have become less likely to buy a car from Tesla. If you invested in Tesla, you might have had questions about his management of Twitter, or SpaceX, or the Boring Company, and you might have sold shares for that reason.

But the web of Muskiness around all of his companies goes a bit deeper than the reality that Musk is in charge, to some extent or another, of all of them. His management of Company A affects the fate of Company B, and Musk’s success in one business pursuit can plausibly have a lot to do with the success of another. So he might get a lot of things he wants, even if those things don’t seem like they’ll provide much of a benefit to any shareholder of Company B except for, you know, Musk himself. That is not really how it’s supposed to work, at least at public companies like Tesla, where boards of directors are legally meant to look out for the financial interests of shareholders and not, notably, the chief executive. One of Musk’s great successes is that he’s made his empire and himself one and the same to those shareholders, and he has surrounded himself with boards that don’t seem interested in making the distinction. ....

And hey, doing business with him also means not getting paid:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/musks-unpaid-bills-dozens-of-lawsuits-try-to-force-twitter-aka-x-to-pay-up/

When Elon Musk bought Twitter in October 2022, a fairly ordinary tech company was transformed into a most unusual private corporation. Many strange things have happened at the Musk-owned social network, but this article will focus on just one puzzling aspect of Musk's leadership: His apparent refusal to pay bills.

Over two dozen lawsuits alleged that Twitter—which rebranded itself as "X" in late July—refused to pay money owed to vendors who started providing services to the company before Musk bought it. In fact, suing X seems to be the most effective method of collecting on unpaid invoices. This article will provide a summary of each lawsuit and an update on each case's status.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Did he say he hates his trans daughter? Because if he didn't, then yeah, it's a conspiracy theory.

Per the original excerpt in WSJ, her estrangement from him is the second most painful event he's experienced as a father (the first being the loss of his first child. Nevada, to SIDS), and he still makes overtures to spend time with her and be part of her life, but she rejects it because (according to him) she sees him and other capitalists in his class as evil.

It doesn't sound like he hates his daughter at all. He hates her politics and that it has led her to cutting him out of her life, and he blames that on her schooling in an exclusive progressive private school and on social media.

Come on now. The 'conspiracy theory' HoI is referring to is not about whether Musk hates his daughter, hates her politics, or she hates him, or whatever. It's quite clear that by 'conspiracy theory' he means the idea that Musk bought Twitter because of his daughter, which Musk is explicitly saying he did. (It's not true, as others have pointed out. But he said it.)

You're trying to split hairs here over a minor correction.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Touche.

I think that's because journalists would rather burnish their personal brands than, say, the traffic at washingtonpost.com and post their scoops there first.  But even that's dwindling...

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't know her, don't know that she's spoken at all in public about her reasons, so I can't say I trust or mistrust her. She has her reasons, whatever they may be. Maybe Musk is right about them, or wrong about them, or maybe some of what he says is part of it but there are other reasons we don't know. I would guess there's more to it than just evil capitalist, because things are usually more complicated, but I wouldn't be surprised that her political views are a part of it. So many people have cut off family over politics, why not her?

I don't know, though, and neither do you, so you can flap your gums at other people about your views on the matter, unless you have actual information on what Vivian thinks of her father.

The point is you can say pretty certainly that Elon is not to be trusted. Does that make everything she says true? Of course not, but it is fair to assume based on everything we've seen publicly that he's not a great guy in both his personal and professional life. 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

is more than a little bit amusing that the same people saying what a terrible place Twitter is

It’s unfortunately still useful in many aspects both in the capture of news, and dialogue by politicians and political influencers.
Hey so do you care that musk is letting Whole heap of white nationalist shit run rampant and signal boosting legit fascists(like following a guy who posted on storm front after he was found posting there saying racist shit), and letting back on people who shared Cp to hundreds of thousands perhaps on Twitter? Do you think that stuff has made Twitter a bit more terrible than it used to be?

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Thank you for your reasoned and calmly considered take on the situation.  Too many people assume they know what they clearly cannot.  

14 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

There are still people broadcasting their shit out because that's their business model.  They don't read the replies (or if they do, they don't reply to the replies).  Good faith engagement doesn't exist.  QTing ppl to ratio them is what a big subset of people do.  Ads are much less clearly labelled, and tend to recur in mind-numbing repetition - I see the ad for vet services 160 times a day.  

Matter of opinion on some of this stuff I think. It feels like some people are developing a nostalgic view of Twitter that never existed. Let’s be honest it was always a cesspit of argument and bad faith. You should never read the comments under the main tweet, and that’s always been true, unless you want to see the worst elements of humanity. Yes there are ads, but almost every other social media platform is the same, if not worse for adverts. 

Personally almost nothing has changed on Twitter for me, outside of the logo getting a lot worse and some questionable UI decisions. 

I only use the Following tab, which I would suggest everyone does unless they like looking at spam, and I tend mostly follow UK stuff and football. Even all the lefties who said they were leaving and threw their toys out of the pram are still there, because they still love it.

I really see little to no difference otherwise, it’s the same people saying the same things. There is a lot of garbage but also the occasional gems.

What is different and  better is community notes, which is being used a lot more now and is challenging really bad tweets consistently. It’s been a godsend. It’s even challenging spammy ads. I love seeing ads for some crappy Gatcha game that is revealed to look nothing like as advertised.