Wa Wa Watching Nothing

TheLastWolf

Just watched Host (2020) and thank goodness it is only 56 minutes long. It packs a lot of tension and scares into that time. I made of point of watching it before it got dark and that was pretty smart of me. The film does a good job of capturing those early lockdown zoom meetings with friends, and by extension it does a great job of lulling you into thinking everyone is just messing about. Would recommend if you are in the mood for a short, sharp shock. 

Fantastic season 3 of Only murders in the building. The whole thing is wacky as fuck, and yet makes sense, and all the actors are obviously having great fun. Merryl Strip borders on the divine, but the entire cast gives us an incredible performance. All the meta references add a lot of spice to the show, but the "unfathomable" play is almost genius.
It's kind of a love letter to theater and acting.

Yeah I agree season 3 if Only Murders was very good. Martin Short and Meryl Streep just elevated all of it, and it was best when they were on screen. It was just a lot more fun this year, and that counts for lot. I thought last season was maybe more miss than hit but this seemed to capture the silliness and humour better 

On 10/7/2023 at 8:00 AM, Isis said:

Trying to push myself into spooky season! Watched Last Night in Soho yesterday. Not sure what I was expecting really but I found it very engaging. Wish I had gone to see it at the Curzon Soho though. Charlotte Street, Goodge St, the BT Tower and all that is really close to where I work, so lots of familiar sights there. Nothing mind-blowing, but something a bit different I guess.

I really liked this film. The cinematography is exceptional, especially with the mirror shots.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Totally Killer on Amazon was pretty fun. If you like this kind of horror comedy (think 2020’s Freaky), you’ll probably be into this. 

I'm gonna add this one to the list I was given. So now it's that, BarbarianNo One Will Save You and The Invitation. 

I watched Loki last night. Enjoyed it so much more than anything in the first season.

I noticed that it was made by the guys responsible for two of my favourite low budget movies of recent years - The Endless and Something In the Dirt.

The latter is absolutely wild, despite it basically being two blokes in a house, talking bollocks for ninety minutes.

Season finales of One Piece and Wheel of Time, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I probably never would have watched a pirate-thing based on manga if it hadn't been for recs here, so thank you! I wasn't expecting the dark turn in Ep 7, and I do hope the overall tone stays light going forward.

Also thank you to whoever was talking up Deadloch a while back-- I loved this so much! Hilarious, yet the mystery and characters were compelling and well-written. 

Next up is Only Murders and the latest season of Nailed It!

The kids and I are on the final season of She-Ra, which is a really, really good animated Netflix show. I'd put it right up there with Dragon Prince/Owl House/Avatar. I'll be sad when it's over, because I have no idea of any other shows for us to watch together when this finishes. Any suggestions? My kids are 8 and 11.

6 minutes ago, snowleo said:

The kids and I are on the final season of She-Ra, which is a really, really good animated Netflix show. I'd put it right up there with Dragon Prince/Owl House/Avatar. I'll be sad when it's over, because I have no idea of any other shows for us to watch together when this finishes. Any suggestions? My kids are 8 and 11.

Clone Wars if they like SW, Samurai Jack, SpongeBob, Swat Cats, Batman, Simpson(I saw it as a kid and I’m fine lol), Cat Dog, He Man Show. If your okay with anime then card captor Sakura 

One Piece really was a great show. I think one of the reasons it works is that it deliberately avoids having the cynical bastards as the main people. It has good fight scenes and good dialog too, and the casting is just stellar.

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I noticed that it was made by the guys responsible for two of my favourite low budget movies of recent years - The Endless and Something In the Dirt.

The latter is absolutely wild, despite it basically being two blokes in a house, talking bollocks for ninety minutes.

I like those guys too. Did you see Resolution also? Loved The Endless but wasn’t big on Dirt. Their more main stream effort Synchronic is also worth a go if you haven’t seen that one. 

I watched Frailty for the first time in forever. Always liked it. Then watched The Thing. It never gets old.

2 hours ago, snowleo said:

Season finales of One Piece and Wheel of Time, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I probably never would have watched a pirate-thing based on manga if it hadn't been for recs here, so thank you! I wasn't expecting the dark turn in Ep 7, and I do hope the overall tone stays light going forward.

Also thank you to whoever was talking up Deadloch a while back-- I loved this so much! Hilarious, yet the mystery and characters were compelling and well-written. 

Next up is Only Murders and the latest season of Nailed It!

I liked Gravity Falls (Disney Plus).  A brother and sister go and stay with their chancer great-uncle Stan over the summer. Adventures ensue. 

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My wife is trying to get me to watch the new season of big brother. At least they appear not to have just picked a load of influences. 

Is this a bit of a busman's holiday for her?

We watched Prince of Darkness yesterday. I saw this as a kid in the late 80's and was a bit non-plussed by it at the time. I love John Carpenter so I thought I might 'get it' a bit more as an adult, but no, I still couldn't get into it. Also not scary at all? The only way it was really entertaining was by enjoying the TERRIBAD 1980's hair and make up. Anyway, at least my husband will stop asking if we can watch it now.

10 hours ago, snowleo said:

I assume this gets better? I struggled to finish the first episode.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I assume this gets better? I struggled to finish the first episode.

It does. Once you realize the central idea of the town, it becomes so much funnier.  Eddie the out of town detective is worth the watch.

On 9/28/2023 at 11:04 PM, dbunting said:

Watched Dumb Money today, about the Game Stop stock trading from 2020-21.  Pretty interesting movie, scary, sickening all rolled into one when you see some of the same shit being pulled that was happening in 2007.

The same shit has been pulled since the 1600s when the first stock market was created. I suspect the first trading scam started in the early Neolithic just after pottery and farming first started.

Finally watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. It was a solidly entertaining film that was hampered by a too-long run time that made the pace feel interminable -- I would have trimmed at least 20 minutes, cutting into the prologue, the tuk-tuk chase, and some other bits and bobs to get it down on time. It's like 25 minutes longer than the next longest film in the series, which is just too much.

Sometimes the de-aging worked great on Ford, other times it was dodgy... but the real problem was that even when it was good, you were still getting Harrison Ford's aged voice coming out of a face 40 years too young. It was strange that they didn't make more effort. Now, I suspect they would have used AI to replicate his voice and let him give the performance while the AI output the "young Indiana" voice. But that was a problem.

Really liked Phoebe Waller-Bridge, she came off perfectly. 

Definitely better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Finally got around to Valhalla, the NF Vikings sequel seasons. I'm liking it, to my surprise, probably because I know a lot more about that era now than I did in the past, meaning I know who Edmond was, and what a useless guy he was, and who Emma was, and how effective she was.  Also because I had gotten so much more interested in those centuries than I had been in the past; hope we see the run-up with the Bastard to his ambition to conquer England. What I increasingly dislike about the show is how the various nordic figures, whether Greenlanders, Norwegians, Danes, etc. refer to themselves as 'vikings' as do everyone else.  Shyte.  Viking is what one does, not what one is.

The final season of the French police drama set in the south of France, Candice Renoir, is up on Acorn too.  I'm liking it as much as ever, though it does seem time for the show to say adieu.  Big clue is that the final two episodes of the previous season are centered on two of the main figures having switched bodies -- she is he, and he is she.  There has often been an airy lightness to this series, in ways that probably can only be successfully done by the French, but this is jumping the shark.  But it works nevertheless -- it is truly comic and bonkers, all at once -- but only within the context of these two episodes.

Edited by Zorral