Star Wars: You Must Be Over 18 (Midichlorians) To Enter

DaveSumm

56 minutes ago, Ran said:

I'm still not opposed to the idea in the sequel trilogy, but still, the execution was poor and could have been done better regardless.  Why does the idea appeal? I think it feels very pulpy to have the big bad return when you think he was done for, and thematically I like the idea of the evil of the Sith being something that can't be dealt with as easily as just tossing someone down a reactor shaft. 

I maintain that there was simply nothing left on the table for JJ to do with Ep 9 that would tie it together as an actual saga, other than bringing Palpatine back. Regardless of where you land on Last Jedi, for me its worst crime is that it forgot to be part of the saga, it wanted to be its own movie and not a sequel to either TFA or anything that came before it.

Genuine question to those who hated Palps coming back; what would you have done with Ep 9 that would’ve been a fitting conclusion to the 8 films before it?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I maintain that there was simply nothing left on the table for JJ to do with Ep 9 that would tie it together as an actual saga, other than bringing Palpatine back. Regardless of where you land on Last Jedi, for me its worst crime is that it forgot to be part of the saga, it wanted to be its own movie and not a sequel to either TFA or anything that came before it.

Genuine question to those who hated Palps coming back; what would you have done with Ep 9 that would’ve been a fitting conclusion to the 8 films before it?

You're proceeding from a false premise here, because Last Jedi definitely sets up the last part of the sequel trilogy. It gets Snoke out of the way and leaves the final conflict to be between Kylo Ren (and Hux) and Rey (and Poe and Finn and the rest). 

And this is correct, and better than what we got, because the nine films as a whole are not about Palpatine. It's not Palpatine's story. (Which is one reason why having Rey being descended from Palpatine is a bad idea.) They are the Skywalker saga. And they start with Anakin, but the way TLJ sets it up: Snoke gone (he was always a distraction at best), Kylo Ren having rejected redemption, Rey being shown to be nobody, not related to the Skywalkers or Palpatine - a final film could have brought the Skywalker saga to an actual end with the death of Kylo Ren, the last remaining Skywalker descendant*. The SW universe could have continued with characters that don't have to tie in to the Skywalker saga all the time, characters that can be powerful in the Force just because, where ordinary people can do extraordinary things instead of because they are The Chosen One.

That's what TLJ sets up for episode 9. And that's what would have been a fitting conclusion in my eyes. Closing the Skywalker saga, and opening a vista of possibilities. 

*OK, apart from Leia, but Leia was always going to die in the last film too. 

Edited by mormont

Yeah my feelings on it were that TLJ set up Kylo to not be redeemed but the studio was entirely opposed to that. They should never have let RJ make that film when they had no interest on following through on that story. Instead we got the shit Palp resurrection with an even less deserved redemption than Anakin's.

Yeah, and honestly, even if you did want a 'redemption' or at least 'turn against the Order' arc, that would have been perfectly doable without Palatine. Have a conflicting leadership with the Order tugged between Kylo and Hux, have Leia die as a result of something Hux did, which gives the impetus for Kylo to break with them without turning out to be Good, Actually, then have Rey there to deal with Kylo in the aftermath.

They just needed to hire someone with a bit of storytelling imagination rather than JJ the Canon Crusher.

The Skywalker Saga ending in the Skywalker line ending with a villain would have been quite sad and I think waaaaay more people would have rejected that than what we got, however slipshod it was.

It's strange to think how so many stories can exist without a Skywalker front and center (from EU stuff to Andor) but somehow Star Wars can't free itself from it without Rian Johnson's iconoclastic hammer.

The problem with Ben is, by the time you get to the third film, he's done too much evil to be redeemed, but at the same time is too weak and stupid to be the main villain; we already saw him lose twice at that point. The only way forward, is sadly the way Disney went, with having him turn good for a short while and die in the attempt. I also never understood Ben's obsession with being like Darth Vader; did no one tell Ben that he betrayed the Emperor in the end and help save the galaxy?

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

The Skywalker Saga ending in the Skywalker line ending with a villain would have been quite sad and I think waaaaay more people would have rejected that than what we got, however slipshod it was.

When did we start calling it this, the Skywalker Saga? At no point can I ever recall the SW movies being referred to by this moniker. They were just....the Star Wars movies.

Hell...the idea of Palpatine returning should have, at best, been used as a macguffin that the bad guys were seeking to do, somehow Clone him or whatever...then in the end, it becomes about the heroes and something something dark side...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

52 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

When did we start calling it this, the Skywalker Saga? At no point can I ever recall the SW movies being referred to by this moniker. They were just....the Star Wars movies.

Pretty sure Kennedy or others at LucasFilm started calling it that. To differentiate from other potential Star Wars movies.

11 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I mean, the force ghosts we've seen have been Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon and Anakin. And Luke!

So basically either you were in The Phantom Menace or you're Luke. 

Which begs the question - what the hell are Yoda and Obi doin hanging out with Anakin? Putting on a Jedi robe instantly lowers your IQ by 50, or something. 

Gotta love how this series makes no sense haha

35 minutes ago, sifth said:

I get the feeling the sequel films will not age well. I rewatched them with my little cousin last summer and she was beyond confused when Palpy returned. I recall her asking me a dozen questions about it. 

As was everyone else watching that garbage opening scrawl. Fucking travesty. 

1 minute ago, mormont said:

It never really did make sense. Star Wars as a property is all about the visuals and the feelings and the cool shit, not about being coherent. 

Too true. At least as a kid you dont overthink this shit, but it really doesnt stand up to even the lightest scrutiny.

20 hours ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

I don't think Force Ghosts means that you're redeemed or even good. It means that you were critical to the Force AND you had enough power and ability to become a ghost the way that Qui-Gonn and Yoda could. It's not redemption, it's not heaven. It's just a force power. And Anakin absolutely was a crucial person in the Force. 

That said, as a force ghost having to hang out with Anakin when you're Yoda would be really, really shitty. Imagine spending all eternity with that asshole. 

Anakin did really shitty stuff but outside of that seems like a decent hang.  Yoda is a dick 100% of the time. I'm sure Luke and Obi definitely prefer to hang out with anakin.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

The earliest usage that I can find is a 1983 TIME magazine article. But the term really solidifies shortly after Disney acquired it, when they decided that the sequel trilogy would be the conclusion of the Skywalker story.